ISX Oil in Coolant
01-21-2018, (Subject: ISX Oil in Coolant ) 
ISX Oil in Coolant
Good day guys, we bought a ISX CM871 2008 Pete with arouund 800k miles, we did all EGR, DPF, Coolant, valve clearance, injector and oil maintenance recently and we came into a problem where we found Oil in coolant, we haven't made the pressure test, but our oil level is not going down noticeably (we will start to monitor this more intensively). Can you share your thoughts on this problem? Would it be oil cooler? Oil has not shown any signs of coolant mixed with it. Is EGR Cooler connected to some oil Lines that we are not aware of? From earlier inspection we have a good EGR Cooler. And we are thinking of a EGR delete, is EGR Cooler needed after EGR delete has been done? We have no problem with any regulations.

FYI Oil came out very dirty on first oil change and got dirty very fast, to the point that we had to change an oil filter during the first 500 operating miles, we used fresh Delo 85w90 or 140 I think, I'll have to confirm tomorrow. Is this normal due to build up inside the Engine?

Thanks please advise.
replyreply
RE: ISX Oil in Coolant
The oil cooler and the mounting gaskets on the 871 are suspect. What worries me more is your use of 85w90 gear oil instead of the 15w40 recommended. I hope that's just a typo... I'd verify this first before doing anything else.

It's not uncommon to have the oil get black in color fast on an emmision engine due to the soot being re-introduced again through the EGR. I wouldn't change it based solely on looks though. A $20 oil analysis can tell you more than a $300 oil change.
replyreply
You need to confirm what kind of oil it is. It could be tranny oil. It isnt necessarily engine oil your seeing. Confirm with a sample from the coolant reservoir if your not sure or drain some oil from the tranny. If it is tranny oil then you'll have coolant in the tranny as well as the coolant pressure is higher in the cooler after the engine is shut down but while driving the oil pressure in the cooler will be higher as tranny has a gear pump. Just something to check.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead , Signature620
01-22-2018, (Subject: ISX Oil in Coolant ) 
(01-21-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  You need to confirm what kind of oil it is. It could be tranny oil. It isnt necessarily engine oil your seeing. Confirm with a sample from the coolant reservoir if your not sure or drain some oil from the tranny. If it is tranny oil then you'll have coolant in the tranny as well as the coolant pressure is higher in the cooler after the engine is shut down but while driving the oil pressure in the cooler will be higher as tranny has a gear pump. Just something to check.

Bingo!
Pull oil samples from; engine, tranny, and if you have a cooling system connected APU (as I do), and send them all to a lab with specific instructions that "You are seeking coolant intrusion, so please Note even 'Trace Amounts'".
This was how I confirmed my tranny cooler and eliminated the engine and APU oil...
The oil samples are WAAAY cheaper than throwing parts at it hoping to stop it, and gives you peace of mind knowing you actually fixed the problem.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard , Chamberpains
02-13-2018, (Subject: ISX Oil in Coolant ) 
We've bwen busy lately, about coolant in tranny oil we changed it as well with no trace, we will continue to monitor coolant and levels and send samples to lab ASAP. I'll get back to you guys whenever we have an answer. Oil coolant radiator was fixed for a leak in the meanwhile so coolant has not been refilled since.

Any other threat we must inspect along with samples?

Thanks!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.