Coolant Leak Somewhere
01-22-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
Coolant Leak Somewhere
I have a serious coolant leak around the turbo area that I’ve been chasing for a while. I’ve done a pressure test on the system and can make it leak but I just can’t tell were its coming from. The coolant is flow on the bottom of the turbo oil drain line; I’ve replaced the coolant line and sealing washer that goes to the VGT thinking the line was the issue. It’s losing about a half a gallon every 1000 miles and making a big mess. I know the salt doesn’t make things easy to see. Any ideas??

Thanks

./uploads/201801/post_2861_1516637683_81e3f336df1f46581176d1a8cc8902f4.jpg
replyreply
01-22-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
RE: Coolant Leak Somewhere
More pics of the turbo area? Hard to see the wet area in that picture.
replyreply
01-25-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
I think I found the source; what a pain to locate. I will be replacing both o-rings and the union then I will retesting the system. The pics are not that great but they are pics from under the turbo.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

.pdf  Untitled.pdf (Size: 172.42 KB / Downloads: 20)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , hhow55
01-26-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
Damaged o ring when installing new line?

Just because its new doesn't mean it's good to go.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , delltang
01-27-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
(01-26-2018 )in2trux Wrote:  Damaged o ring when installing new line?

Just because its new doesn't mean it's good to go.

I haven't replace it yet but fyi the union did come with both o rings installed. I bought the new union vice just replacing the o rings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , hhow55
01-27-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
You should not rule out the turbo actuator itself leaking. I have seen many of them do this and the coolant seeps out from around the base and down along the turbo exhaust housing. The very first picture you posted point to this being a possible cause.

There is also a freeze plug in the top of the turbo betwen the turbo and the actuator. They will sometimes start leaking there too.

Either case, you have to remove the turbo actuator and check for coolant seepage in between the 2.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , JMBT , Waterloo , delltang
02-08-2018, (Subject: Coolant Leak Somewhere ) 
It was the O-ring on the male union ( the one on the actuator side) that goes to the actuator and coolant line ; the union was also loose too but the O-ring was split. Thanks for all the help.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress , Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.