Volvo 780 with Cummins ISX
01-25-2018, (Subject: Volvo 780 with Cummins ISX ) 
RE: Volvo 780 with Cummins ISX
(01-24-2018 )Blake Wrote:  What I can't find used is the Volvo 780, Cummins motor and I-Shift.. I like the Volvo but what concerns me is I mainly find the I-shift with the Volvo motor.

The I-Shift is a proprietary transmission, only available with Volvo power. My Volvo D13 has been bulletproof except for the injectors (replaced twice in 1 million km) and some of the aftertreatment stuff.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
I have a Volvo. The one thing know one ever seems too factor in, is the up front purchase cost. You can’t beat Volvo or pro star for up front purchase price. Truck for truck there almost 20 thousand cheaper than a pacar built truck. About 10 thousand cheaper than a frieghtliner. I’m not sure what the cost to work on one is because I haven’t bought anything that was strictly Volvo other than a radiator hose and a window switch. So I guess I’m all right. Cummins motor Eaton transmission..... buy one with normal American components and shop parts for it anywhere. There all a tool to make money. Some guys like snapon tools others go for craftsman some of us go too harbor freight. Hard to be cool with harbor freight tools... copy. Volvo’s are nice trucks. I wouldn’t worry about the truck model so much as the drivetrian. Leave money in you budget for magor engine work. Most guys I know ain’t getting much more than 500k miles out of them before inframe. These new engines just can’t eat this much soot and live. It don’t matter who made the truck it matters how you pick your truck though. Good luck.

One thing too add about Volvo. I’m not a fan of the hindrickson air ride front end. Especially on a set back front axle. Haven’t had any problems but there just annoying the way they handle.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , simon999
I do second everything you wrote!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
This whole restrictive air system isn’t that big a deal. Would it be better if it was bigger.... probably. Normal hp levels it’s ok. Especially with a good tunner. Under hood temps can be fixed with allittle hood trimming in a afternoon. Some of the positives about them is they are the nicest truck to drive. Not sure on pro star. But Volvo is roomy quite and comfortable. Cheap to buy. Mine has a squeaky dash that’s driving me crazy.... gona try and find that. If you wanna see a restriction in the intake. Take off the adapter pipe just infront of your air compressor intake on the manifold. Isx 2250. It’s pretty dumb how small it is. Half the adapter is plugged with casting and air compressor snorkel. Volvo charge cooler pipes are a lot smaller. But the intake it’s self is half agian smaller on the engine so take it for what it is I guess.
replyreply
I owned a 780 with the 870 in her, damn good truck, wish I would have kept her but the economy tanked and I headed to the oil fields. The front air ride suspension was my gripe, she liked to blow air bags, never figured that one out. Other than that, it was a solid truck and like you, I loved the interior, especially the booth. ;-)

Find one with a 13 or 18 speed, 13 is good for that truck. Cummins, just figure on an in frame sooner than you want, and really go over the truck if that is possible. I would stay away from the CM-2250 and CM-2350 for obvious reasons, a few reasons. If it were me, I would look for a well kept 2007 or older with the CM-870. Or a CM-871 and get rid of the mandate and again, plan on an in frame.
replyreply
About blowing front airbags.
It happened to me only ones and I was fortunate enough to see dislodged sharp gravel rock in between the airbag and lower bell . Those crushed rocks they use to cover yards and roads and such.
About the Venturi restriction . There's solution for it .
Don’t know about other Volvo’s , but 780 with cm870 cpl 8518 530HP 13speed 3,42rears on a 22,5 lp have pretty decent CAC , all from factory. From here only gets better .
replyreply
Thank you for all your help and guidance. So what are the good years to look at for Volvo 780's? My concern is a lot of companies won't take you if your truck isn't atleast a 2011.
replyreply
Got a figure to do an inframe from Mr Haggs shop, so that I can beat up sales managers on pricing!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(01-25-2018 )Blake Wrote:  Thank you for all your help and guidance. So what are the good years to look at for Volvo 780's? My concern is a lot of companies won't take you if your truck isn't atleast a 2011.
2013 or later due to problem with fuel pump and liners Cummins had early years.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.