DD15 blown APT
01-26-2018, (Subject: DD15 blown APT ) 
DD15 blown APT
Hi all. My driver only calls me when something is wrong. I got that call Monday.

Complaint: Going up a hill, not too heavy of a load, he downshifted and heard a loud "pop" then lots of white smoke out the exhaust pipe. Pulls over and calls me. I have him check the oil and dip stick is dry but was ok during his pre-trip. So I call the tow truck and tow it to mechanic shop.

Mechanic discovered that the APT(Axial power turbine) was actually the one that was damaged. From what I see, it has two parts. The one where the actual turbine sits and other behind it bolted to the block that has gears inside of it. Both of those are being replaced.

Question is... Turbo is intact but oil got into it. I'm 90/10 on replacing it. Mechanic says it may or may not be ok. Most likely will be ok. He can clean it real well and make sure its working ok. The concern is that due to the pressure from the blown APT, the turbo may not function 100% and 2-3 months from now blow. Hence why I am 90% sure I want to replace. Anybody have any experience with this? Recommendations?

Also the oil ended up in the converter box. Can that just be like pressured washed and put back on after inspecting the components? What should we look out for? Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: DD15 blown APT
Here's some pics of what happened and got damaged.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
If your dd15 is like the one I used to have the turbo should be fine as the APT is downstream from the turbo. The turbos on the dd15 is a fixed valve model so no nozzle ring to worry with getting gummed up. I would just have him clean it and reinstall.

Now as far as the oil getting into the one box..I hate to be the bearer of bad news but one oil penetrated the filters they are toast. They usually crack once the oil hits them due to thermal shock. So those will likely need to be replaced and are usually worthless for core charges.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(01-26-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  If your dd15 is like the one I used to have the turbo should be fine as the APT is downstream from the turbo. The turbos on the dd15 is a fixed valve model so no nozzle ring to worry with getting gummed up. I would just have him clean it and reinstall.

Now as far as the oil getting into the one box..I hate to be the bearer of bad news but one oil penetrated the filters they are toast. They usually crack once the oil hits them due to thermal shock. So those will likely need to be replaced and are usually worthless for core charges.

Ok thanks. I have reconcidered replacing the turbo do the fact that the filters will most likely need replacing. They took the box off and gallons of oil are dripping out. This whole thing is becoming almost as expensive as an inframe. I'm considering deleting the whole thing but I'm in California...

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201801/post_2295_1517015028_91fa906ddf3863124a511997c324d47a.jpg./uploads/201801/post_2295_1517015045_c18a894b30ded5540bc6989b2cd05143.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
(01-26-2018 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  
(01-26-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  If your dd15 is like the one I used to have the turbo should be fine as the APT is downstream from the turbo. The turbos on the dd15 is a fixed valve model so no nozzle ring to worry with getting gummed up. I would just have him clean it and reinstall.

Ok thanks. I have reconcidered replacing the turbo do the fact that the filters will most likely need replacing. They took the box off and gallons of oil are dripping out. This whole thing is becoming almost as expensive as an inframe. I'm considering deleting the whole thing but I'm in California...

Oh gross!
Sorry, I'm of no help, but seeing that oil coming out of the DPF like that is just painful.
Sorry.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.