How much coolant nees to be drained for...
01-29-2018, (Subject: How much coolant nees to be drained for... ) 
How much coolant nees to be drained for...
Trying to clean the egr tubing. Curious how much coolant I will lose when I remove these lines?
CM2250 mandated 560kmiles
Also what are you guys using a brush or something to clean the soot out? Can I use water with pressure to help get the stubborn stuff off? I know Rawze said to use carb cleaner ao I definitely am going to use that but just wondering how bad it would be to use a pressure washer or just high power water to get it clean, maybe let it dry and then finish up with carb cleaner to get the moister out?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: How much coolant nees to be drained for...
I don't own one of those engines, but I would suspect you would have to drain 3 or 4 gallons of coolant.

As far as cleaning, really anything that gets it clean that leaves no residue or oily film. I would replace the sensors if they are old too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-29-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I don't own one of those engines, but I would suspect you would have to drain 3 or 4 gallons of coolant.

As far as cleaning, really anything that gets it clean that leaves no residue or oily film. I would replace the sensors if they are old too.
Yea I just did the sensors about 2months ago but was unable to get a time and place to remove the tubing. What about getting all the way down in the mixing tube? (Mine is the one that goes across the motor) i got a small toilet bruah but there is now way ots long enough to get to the middle of that pipe.
Also, can I reuse the coolant that I catch?
replyreply
And does anyone know where the coolant drain is at?? I've done it dozens of times on cars so I know what I'm looking for but icant seem to find it in this radiator.
Is it on the passenger side or the driver side? Inside of the frame rail?
replyreply
You never mentioned what make/model truck. It is different for each brand/model.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
5 gal would prolly do it if you can wiggle that section out once you back out those two banjos, but I would take out 10 gals just incase you also have to take the other ends of those two lines loose. Which you probably will because they are stiff. The one on your left finger connects to the actuator and the therm housing. The one on your right finger, goes to the after treatment Fuel doser.
Use carb cleaner not brake/parts cleaner as it will attract more soot even after it is dry. and a refrigerator brush, you can get it at walmart for 3 or 4 bucks. It’s about 2 ft long and 1.5” in diameter, made for reaching behind a fridge to clean the coils without pulling the fridge away from the wall. They work great for EGR tune ups.

If you truck is a Volvo, coolant drain is toward the bottom and back of the radiator on the drivers side, but you will need a special fitting to use it. Volvo sells the fitting on a short piece of hose for about $50. I can’t believe I am saying this, but it is actually worth the money vs. trying to unscrew the plug and then stick it back in without losing all your coolant.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Beaver , Waterloo
Never mind the Volvo part, I just looked at your picture again, no way it is a Volvo. Way too much room under the hood to be a Volvo.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
You guys rock! Thanks for all the quick responses! I ended up just cleaning it on the truck. Removed everything from the intake side of the block to the egr cooler an dcleaned it all. Not crazy bad but definitely needed to be done. We will see how she runs tomorrow. For some reason I cant post a picture from my gallery, its making me take a new pic. I will try to up load what the intake manifold and inside the motor looked like before I started cleaning.
I can't believe how little flow there is from the manifold! Any little bit of build up was definitely choking it out some! BTW...2013 peterbilt 388 car hauler is what I got. Excited to do this myself! Rawze....I can't thank you enough for what you do. I'm gonna try and get some $$ sent to the cause next month!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.