How much coolant nees to be drained for...
01-30-2018, (Subject: How much coolant nees to be drained for... ) 
RE: How much coolant nees to be drained for...
(01-29-2018 )JMBT Wrote:  5 gal would prolly do it if you can wiggle that section out once you back out those two banjos, but I would take out 10 gals just incase you also have to take the other ends of those two lines loose. Which you probably will because they are stiff. The one on your left finger connects to the actuator and the therm housing. The one on your right finger, goes to the after treatment Fuel doser.
Use carb cleaner not brake/parts cleaner as it will attract more soot even after it is dry. and a refrigerator brush, you can get it at walmart for 3 or 4 bucks. It’s about 2 ft long and 1.5” in diameter, made for reaching behind a fridge to clean the coils without pulling the fridge away from the wall. They work great for EGR tune ups.

If you truck is a Volvo, coolant drain is toward the bottom and back of the radiator on the drivers side, but you will need a special fitting to use it. Volvo sells the fitting on a short piece of hose for about $50. I can’t believe I am saying this, but it is actually worth the money vs. trying to unscrew the plug and then stick it back in without losing all your coolant.
Any idea on how to start getting the motor to clean out the soot inside of it? Fuel treatment maybe? I didn't mess with ANYTHING past the intake manifold but its ugly in there. This was the 1st time its been cleaned and it's for 560k on it. Should I just keep cleaning it every 6 months or so till it goes down?
THANKS in advance!

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201801/post_3184_1517286780_664d772f10978f5ca0bb23fbf79f8c56.jpg
replyreply
Yeah, Rawze mentions that in his egr tuneup videos on YouTube.
Dont, mess with cleaning inside the head. Any remaining loose soot might get between a valve and it's seat and cause problems. Just carefully clean the outside surface of the head so that the seal is good when you reinstall the intake.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I'd vacuum the head out. It looks like loose carbon are lying in there.
replyreply
(01-30-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  Yeah, Rawze mentions that in his egr tuneup videos on YouTube.
Dont, mess with cleaning inside the head. Any remaining loose soot might get between a valve and it's seat and cause problems. Just carefully clean the outside surface of the head so that the seal is good when you reinstall the intake.

Yea thats what I did.

User's Signature: Carhauling is a fickle mistress
replyreply
I drain 5 gallons to do any work in that area and it always seems to do the trick. Drain into a clean bucket, and I have a lid with a spout for putting it back. Also keeps trash out of the coolant while it's out. Piece of cake.

At 560k miles, leave the head alone unless you already have loose soot in it...then I could kind of justify vacuuming it out. I knocked a few chunks loose when I first did an EGR tune-up and vacuumed it out, taking care not to loosen up any more. if you really want to fix the soot in the head, replace it and @m*m^2 it. No more soot lol

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Beaver
10-20-2018, (Subject: How much coolant nees to be drained for... ) 
(01-30-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  I'd vacuum the head out. It looks like loose carbon are lying in there.
Yes carefully vacuum the loose stuff only.

User's Signature: VOLVO VNL 780 Cummins 450HP CM871 W/13 Spd
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.