My truck and it's shenanigans.
02-12-2018, (Subject: My truck and it's shenanigans. ) 
RE: Cylinder head swap
What causes that?
replyreply
A strong possibility in my case could have been a bad Davco prefilter putting coolant in the cylinder with fuel and/or Injector cups from the crappy reman head that's heading to the scrap heap oil consumption was around a gallon every 4k miles.
replyreply
I’m curious if this was the cause of overheating. I’m just learning about all this stuff and honestly don’t understand many things.

In another thread you posted “when under load my coolant temperature climbs quicker than usual, and when accelerating up to highway speed (70mph at 1500rpm) the temperature will already be up to 210 and the fan will kick on and ... “.

So was this the cause of overheating? Was the oil been diluted and bad lubrication made the liners look polished? Or was it something else?

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
I don't think polished liners caused the overheating as the oil cconsumption occurred prior to it and didn't start overheating in 90+ degree sunny Florida until on my way back north through Georgia, and the one episode in Wisconsin where the temp was climbing then it dropped like 10 degrees before climbing up again, My question tho are CM870 prone to fretting like its newer counterparts are? I'm going to have my mechanic take a picture of the underside of the head as I'm on a trip at the moment.
replyreply
02-13-2018, (Subject: My truck and it's shenanigans. ) 
Read through these recommendations carefully....
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid10886

Whoever is doing the work, MAKE DAMN SURE they ...

* Ensure the liner height is at 0.014" - 0.015" instead of the factory 0.010" among all the other recommendations mentioned on this forum,.. or you will be at risk to have a shortened engine life.

Also for more info and some extra info, you can read through the thread I did when I helped Nilao out here at the house here...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...91#pid7491

And also there is my youtube engine rebuild series where I talk about all these things in great detail along the way during the process.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900 , marek4792 , zero4
02-16-2018, (Subject: My truck and it's shenanigans. ) 
So thought I would update y'all, engine is mostly assembled with cummins genuine parts and checked the bottom end to confirm it. An off brand overhaul kit was used the first time and it had bad injectors at the time a bad reman head and add the silent derate the motor ran on for awhile and it really shows how bad it can get in 350,000 miles glad I tore it down..

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Wiseman , zero4
(02-16-2018 )marek4792 Wrote:  So thought I would update y'all, engine is mostly assembled with cummins genuine parts and checked the bottom end to confirm it. An off brand overhaul kit was used the first time and it had bad injectors at the time a bad reman head and add the silent derate the motor ran on for awhile and it really shows how bad it can get in 350,000 miles glad I tore it down..

( just some opinion based on what i see there...)

- If you have a custom tune, from the pictures, it also looks like the injection timing can use backing off a degree or 2 (more towards TDC), considering you have the engine set to 500+ HP. Spray that high up is sometimes a bit risky unless your only at about 450 hp or so and only about 1650 trq. I can see that the injector spray pattern is just starting to get outside the bowl on most of those pistons. A bad injector or clogged tip with it running that high may eventually cause liner or other issues at high torque with it set like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , rgreen
Thank you for your input Rawze! I figured the timing was off a tad and trying to get it backed down a tad as the idle was slightly off too but was unable to get a hold of Unilever or Gearhead lately. I might back down the boost down a bit too as once in awhile it will spike above 40 psi if I don't watch the pedal especially now that I've done the weedburner conversion. Egt gauge never really climbed above 900 degrees.
replyreply
"a wild unilevers appears"

call me, ill back it down a degree or 2
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , redbeard , marek4792 , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.