Disassembling EGR valve?
02-06-2018, (Subject: Disassembling EGR valve? ) 
Disassembling EGR valve?
Has anyone disassembled an EGR valve from CUMMINS ISX.
I took off mine to clean and check it but when i push the valve in it sticks down.
I tried to use oil and WD40 to lubricate it but didn’t work
There is a cup at the bottom whick has two small screws. I loosened the screws but can’t detach the cup from casting.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Disassembling EGR valve?
https://youtu.be/jNaS2GYTS4w

Lubricating it will make it a soot magnet. Carb and Choke cleaner is your friend.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , alborz
Thanks Rawze
The problem is that it doesn’t move freely. Somehow it gets stucked when pushed down. Even the spring can’t pull it up.
replyreply
(02-06-2018 )alborz Wrote:  Thanks Rawze
The problem is that it doesn’t move freely. Somehow it gets stucked when pushed down. Even the spring can’t pull it up.

maybe its time for a new one then. they only usually last about 600k miles or so.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-07-2018, (Subject: Disassembling EGR valve? ) 
(02-06-2018 )alborz Wrote:  Thanks Rawze
That's exactly what happened to my EGR valve couple years ago at Rawze place. It was even long fight to take it off its seat. It stuck deadly. It also stuck the same way, in opened position, that even spring couldn't push it back to close.
Rawze's verdict was "it's dead", so we bought the new one.

Sometimes you can't do anything but replace the failed part...
replyreply
The bottom piece will come off. It collects soot. If it's packed full the valve can get stuck. Definitely use carb cleaner. The bottom piece is just stubborn. Also under the actuator, the top of the valve can be depressed, the 2 retainers removed, and spring will come out. You can clean corrosion then if present. The actual valve shaft won't come out however, because the diameter of the valve itself is greater than the shaft. This allows you to inspect the spring though to see if it's your problem. Also note that the reinstallation of the spring retainer is tricky. Note their position before you remove them so you'll remember when putting it back together.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains
Thanks for your comments
Since I saw Rawze’s video on EGR tune up
I have taken out the EGR valve several times
This time however the valve doesn’t move freely
If I push it down to open position, it stays there unless I tap on it
If I grab the valve shaft with something I can spin it
Since the valve actuator job is to push dow the valve shaft
Is there anyway to check the actuator before I install it on the engine?
replyreply
To clarify, the cup will come off.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.