What would you do?
03-29-2016, (Subject: What would you do? ) 
What would you do?
Ok....a truck gets towed into your shop with a bad turbo. The driver says he saw lots of smoke and the turbo was making funny noises so he shut it down before any damage would occur. You determine the turbo went bad (oil in the exhaust system and excessive end play in the impeller) so you replace the turbo, check the engine for any defects and faults on the ecm, and start the truck. Everything is fine....... I will give you the rest of the story when I get your opinions on what protocol should have been followed.....if any more than what was listed.
replyreply
03-29-2016, (Subject: What would you do? ) 
RE: What would you do?
I would have also checked/cleaned the turbo oil lines. Debris in the return line will cause oil to blow past the seals.
replyreply
03-30-2016, (Subject: What would you do? ) 
Sounds stupid I know but check the air filters
replyreply
If oil went down the exhaust check DOC and DPF.
If oil is on the inlet oa turbo check and clean all intake piping and CAC
replyreply
Whenever a turbo goes out I always disassemble every single piece of air ducting right back to the air filters as well as new air cleaners . Depending how much oil it pumped through , possibly clean out the charge cooler . If it's an emissions truck , cleaning out the doc and dpf would be a must if turbo was pumping oil . Also have a visual and check egr cooler inlet for clogging . Make sure ebp pipe is clean and free and the IMAP sensor .
replyreply
The mechanic did set the actuator up, right? Or was the Turbo just slapped on?
replyreply
The engine was a Volvo and the turbo install was done right. The rest of the story is that the bad turbo pumped oil into the CAC and the guy working on it didnt clean it out. They estimate there was 3 gallons of oil in it. They fired up the truck and it was fine until the test driver gave it throttle. At that point the air flow caught the oil and the engine went runaway. They did get it shut down but not in time......engine seized....

The shop manager told the guy to make sure the CAC was clean.....but he forgot.

The shop will be nameless because they went out and got another engine for the truck and will install it. This post is about remembering the simple things.
replyreply
I had a sneeking suspicion that was where it was headed, too bad.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Cleaning all the air supply tubing, CAC and all the above mentioned procedures, including replacing air filters (even if you replaced them yesterday) use to be required procedures for the warranty of the new turbo. EVERY mechanic should know this.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.