Isx15 cm 2250 fuel pump and a turbo question
02-21-2018, (Subject: Isx15 cm 2250 fuel pump and a turbo question ) 
Isx15 cm 2250 fuel pump and a turbo question
I have an ISX15 cm2250 in my truck. The build date on the engine is June 21, 2012. The ESN is 79592365. I have been doing a lot of reading about these engines. This is the first truck I've had with an ISX.

I read the horror stories about the 3 cylinder fuel pumps on these engines. I looked on my engine and it has a 3 cylinder pump. Unless I misunderstand Cummins Quickserve I thought when you entered your ran that it showed what parts your engine with a 2 cylinder fuel pump. Also from what I read I thought from the build date and ESN number that it should have a 2 cylinder pump.

From the information I got from before I owned this truck the engine was overhauled at 482,000 miles. I'm not sure what the reason for the overhaul was. The truck now has 698,755 miles on it. Should I change the fuel pump as soon as I can afford it? Am I misunderstanding that it should've had a 2 cylinder pump?

On a Facebook group I saw someone say that if you rev your engine up while stationary and it makes boost that the turbo is getting bad. On mine it'll make 15 psi boost and then the best drops if you hold it at about 1500 rpm. I was just curious if that was true and I'm going to have to replace the turbo in the future. The turbo is painted red with a lot of the paint chipped off. It might be the original.

I just became an owner operator in January so I'm limited on funds right now. Would like to not spend money right now I don't have to. Can't really afford big repairs at this point.

Forgot to mention. The engine still has the mandate installed. Also no check engine lights or codes.

Thanks.
replyreply
RE: Isx15 cm 2250 fuel pump and a turbo question
The fuel pump is a major concern. Two cylinder pump with titanium plungers is the much preferable way to go. Do not assume two cylinder has the titanium plungers.
Also verify what oil pressure bypass valve you have. If it was changed at a Cummins dealer it should have white paint around the large plug on the oil filter housing. There is a recent post on here of maybe a even newer bypass valve available. Very inexpensive insurance.
Another issue is low oil pressure, hows yours? Dimes are your solution, I put in 8 in the oil pump. Now I’m at 43psi going down the road.
There is a lot of information on this website regarding the 2250, use the search engine, it is your friend.
Absolutely do Rawze’s egr tuneup just for comfort and knowing your in a better spot, looking over your shoulder and second guessing is a very unpleasant way to go. Dipping into your wallet while on the road could be a business game changer.
Just my 2 cents of observation of owning one of these.
replyreply
I have the new bypass valve to install. Had to order a 17 mm hex socket because I couldn't find one locally. My oil pressure runs about 37-38 running down the road. I have replaced the inappropriate, delta p, and exhaust back pressure sensors. Haven't gotten farther into that yet. I was going to remove that small tube from the manifold up to the exhaust back pressure sensor. It seems stuck and I don't want to break it off. The overhead was just done.

I'm trying to get some preventive maintenance done as money allows. I know I'll feel a lot better when I have saved enough back for an overhaul.
replyreply
Fuel pump picture will help identify what type of pump is installed. Then you can have Cummins to update fuel pump tappets and rollers. Not expensive investment.
replyreply
This is the pump on my truck. It's possible it has been updated. I had just read somewhere even an updated 3 cylinder pump still had issues. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Thanks again.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
02-22-2018, (Subject: Isx15 cm 2250 fuel pump and a turbo question ) 
Yeah that is the old 3 cylinder pump. Sorry to say but, you have a ticking time bomb bolted to the side of your engine. It fails when it wants to fail and takes out your engine.

Probably the reason why your engine was overhauled at 482,000 miles. But that is just a guess.

Change it ASAP.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.