cm871 oil filter bypass valve update
02-19-2018, (Subject: cm871 oil filter bypass valve update ) 
cm871 oil filter bypass valve update
I don't know if this has already been mentioned here, but I wanted to note the TSB160017 from Cummins Quickserve dated March 20, 2017. I am going to update mine and will comment here as to the condition of the old one in my engine. By my reading, this suggests that the bypass valve may stick open somewhat, and could cause lower oil pressure. Obviously there are many reasons for low oil pressure, and it isn't something to be played with as it can destroy your engine if not diagnosed properly and quickly. However, this is a simple repair, and could save a lot of headaches if a damaged bypass valve is the only culprit. I am attaching a link. Let me know if it works.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...=tsb160017
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , barf
RE: cm871 oil filter bypass valve update
Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking at the photos, does that part insert into the oil filter filter holder? I forget what that is called, where the oil filter screws on. Is that where it goes?
replyreply
This goes under the large Allen head plug. It’s a known issue as I replaced it when I did my Inframe last year. Once the campaign is completed the head of the plug is painted white.

It is port number 2 in this photo.

./uploads/201802/post_1037_1519050651_00eac2c9f7caeaffede1e41fbddc2e04.jpeg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , pearce trucking , Rawze , hhow55
(02-19-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking at the photos, does that part insert into the oil filter filter holder? I forget what that is called, where the oil filter screws on. Is that where it goes?
Also note that there are 2 plug depths. 16mm or 19.5mm. The new style valve needs the correct one or it will rattle inside the port and not seat. I looks like from the TSB that the dividing line was whether your motor was manufactured pre or post 2006. Just talked to Cummins and the parts guy read it the same way I did. My '09 motor has the 16mm plug.
Nilao is right. The plug is the large diameter one. #2 in the picture.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.