A real head scratcher !!
02-26-2018, (Subject: A real head scratcher !! ) 
RE: A real head scratcher !!
Yes tree98 don't worry about guys giving you a hard time about legal stuff. Continue asking questions. It's good to be aware of legal things but every one of them break the law somewhere. I personally like when a guy will share openly what they try, legal or not. It helps people learn what is possible not what they are told is possible.
Now definitely look at those rollers as a safety issue though. They look like they won't have any longevity for staying in the retainer clips and probably will fall out on you.

I got busy yesterday but this is what I should've posted. From the picture you posted which is not a great angle, it appears the rollers are riding off center of the s-cam. if my pic is correct, I'd take a good long look at how that s-cam is mounted.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
As far as everyone saying those pads are thick on your shoes. I did see that they are clearly marked on the shoe that they are Spicer ES. ES stands for extended service, they are going to be a thicker pad then standard Eaton Spicer's. I am definitely not saying these are the wrong shoes for your truck. I'm just pointing this out because I have seen guys have their entire truck switched over to Extended service and thicker pads and have these same problems. This is just a another dumb question in my head because I'm not there to look at it, but can it be the rest of the truck is wore out just enough to allow these pads to be on?
In the end and has been suggested a couple times, you need to measure everything to find out what is different. Compare the measurements of one side to the other. One of these things will be different. This will expose your problem.
replyreply
I run dump trucks and I've had issues like this on the rear axles of trucks. The asphalt paver sometimes hit the rear brake chambers when unloading into it. I've saw many a S cam housing get bent this way. Just a inch or so will make that S cam be on a angle that causes all kinds of issues. Maybe this is why the one roller is tight and the other is loose. I would also measure that drum. To many drums stacked on top of each other sitting for a year will give it a new shape , also being dropped from a fork lift tends to do this also. I'm sure being a logging truck that it's probably pushed thru some good deep ruts on shitty roads that may have bent something. Put the old pads on a flat bench and put the new ones right on top of them, use a square coming of bench top to see if everything is spot on the same. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I've also saw more mismatched brake parts on trucks then I can shake a stick at. Hope this helps and let us know what you find out. Thx
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Wiseman , Rawze
02-27-2018, (Subject: A real head scratcher !! ) 
Well today I had to put shoes on the rear drive axle. Low and behold the same problem, drum won't slide on!! So I ran down to napa and bought 2 sets of shoes (I hate napa shoes and generally don't buy them) put them on the right side and problem solved, the drum went right on! When I did the left side I put the shoes I've been having problems with on just to see what would happen and sure enough, couldn't get the drum on. Put the napa shoes on and drum went right on. I called truckpro (that's were the problem shoes came from) and told them what's going on and they laughed and said it's impossible. " we sell a ton of those shoes every day and no one else has had a problem" .... I see his point but the fact is the shoes from truckpro aren't right. I wasn't able to do a bunch of measuring tonight but will try to do it in the next couple days. So as it stands now, I got 4 boxes of bad shoes from them and one box of shoes that I didn't have a problem with.All the same part numbers. I was even able to wipe off the sticker on the worn out shoes and they are the same part number truckpro shoes as the ones I've been trying to put on, they fit last time!! Geez what an ordeal
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , gatow900 , Chamberpains
02-28-2018, (Subject: A real head scratcher !! ) 
   while it seems that you have found the problem to be bad new shoes I thought I would post up a pic of 2 s cams both a standard and an extended service you can see the difference that was being discussed. I am upgrading the brakes on 1979 pup trailer all new S cams, weld on new cam tubes, long stroke chambers, center fuse drums, extended service shoes,slack adjusters,zander windows,ect nothing will left of the old stuff.

I have had a problem with relined shoes in the past they were the paccar house brand TRP the shoes came loose at the rivets, this happened on 3 different brake jobs done over a few years what a pain in the ass have to fix one wheel at a time as we started hearing brake squeal, the first one you think shi#t happens, the second one bad luck, the third time I realize we have a problem and I don't want a free replacement of your sub par crap and they are not the same quality of the brand name shoes that I had been buying from them for the past 20 years.
replyreply
(02-27-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  Well today I had to put shoes on the rear drive axle. Low and behold the same problem, drum won't slide on!! So I ran down to napa and bought 2 sets of shoes (I hate napa shoes and generally don't buy them) put them on the right side and problem solved, the drum went right on! When I did the left side I put the shoes I've been having problems with on just to see what would happen and sure enough, couldn't get the drum on. Put the napa shoes on and drum went right on. I called truckpro (that's were the problem shoes came from) and told them what's going on and they laughed and said it's impossible. " we sell a ton of those shoes every day and no one else has had a problem" .... I see his point but the fact is the shoes from truckpro aren't right. I wasn't able to do a bunch of measuring tonight but will try to do it in the next couple days. So as it stands now, I got 4 boxes of bad shoes from them and one box of shoes that I didn't have a problem with.All the same part numbers. I was even able to wipe off the sticker on the worn out shoes and they are the same part number truckpro shoes as the ones I've been trying to put on, they fit last time!! Geez what an ordeal

Who would have guessed. But why did those '' wrong'' shoes work great on the other side????????? I would have done alot of measuring and comparing before returning them. Great you fixed this. All the very best to you.
replyreply
(02-28-2018 )Starlight Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  Well today I had to put shoes on the rear drive axle. Low and behold the same problem, drum won't slide on!! So I ran down to napa and bought 2 sets of shoes (I hate napa shoes and generally don't buy them) put them on the right side and problem solved, the drum went right on! When I did the left side I put the shoes I've been having problems with on just to see what would happen and sure enough, couldn't get the drum on. Put the napa shoes on and drum went right on. I called truckpro (that's were the problem shoes came from) and told them what's going on and they laughed and said it's impossible. " we sell a ton of those shoes every day and no one else has had a problem" .... I see his point but the fact is the shoes from truckpro aren't right. I wasn't able to do a bunch of measuring tonight but will try to do it in the next couple days. So as it stands now, I got 4 boxes of bad shoes from them and one box of shoes that I didn't have a problem with.All the same part numbers. I was even able to wipe off the sticker on the worn out shoes and they are the same part number truckpro shoes as the ones I've been trying to put on, they fit last time!! Geez what an ordeal

Who would have guessed. But why did those '' wrong'' shoes work great on the other side????????? I would have done alot of measuring and comparing before returning them. Great you fixed this. All the very best to you.

I guess the one box of shoes that worked must have been relined correctly and the rest weren't?? I find it hard to believe that no one else that bought these shoes has had a problem. I didnt return them yet, I plan on measuring them to figure out exactly what is different.
replyreply
It's not terribly uncommon to see a bad batch of shoes. Whatever company puts the lining on the cores may grab a wrong set or their QC may suck and they re-use cores that should be thrown out. I've seen it a couple of times. There's probably someone in the world that's having the same problems as you. Or maybe your application just doesn't allow for sloppy tolerances.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.