Starter burnt up
02-21-2018, (Subject: Starter burnt up ) 
Starter burnt up
06 Pete 387 isx 870. Today I shut my truck off, the motor cut out but the starter engaged and started turning the motor. I turned the key back on and the motor fired up again. I jumped out and pulled the starter relay but it was to late I could smell the starter motor burning. I went to to TA shop and was told starter was probably bad. I have to pick a load at 02:30 going home truck has been idling fine all day. Not going to shut it off until I am home. Anyone know what caused this. Thank you
replyreply
RE: Starter burnt up
if you find it's not the starter solenoid itself then the Firewall starting relay would be my first suspect. They are usually found on the passenger side firewall. Two large copper posts and two small wires. If it sticks it will send a signal to crank a starter even with the key off. Even if it is the starter solenoid and you replace it it's still a cheap and pretty good idea to replace that firewall relay also.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mav
(02-21-2018 )Mav Wrote:  06 Pete 387 isx 870. Today I shut my truck off, the motor cut out but the starter engaged and started turning the motor. I turned the key back on and the motor fired up again. I jumped out and pulled the starter relay but it was to late I could smell the starter motor burning. I went to to TA shop and was told starter was probably bad. I have to pick a load at 02:30 going home truck has been idling fine all day. Not going to shut it off until I am home. Anyone know what caused this. Thank you

I have had the same and Ironin from forum. Problem is starter relay wire on starter shorted to the starter post. Will post picture if can find it.
replyreply
Can't find 3 years old picture.
Here is where to look.
./uploads/201802/post_1794_1519252368_d0769977e2e2c44b6e191a51447faa99.png
replyreply
Thank you. I am seeing Delco Remy mt39 starters for 200 dollars on ebay new. Are these ok.
replyreply
Mav you can usually pick those starters up at a local parts store relatively easy and for a similar price. Just call around. You don't have to mess around with eBay and shipping.

Snail, what is that second solenoid on the starter. Is that the relay built on to the starter solenoid itself?
replyreply
(02-21-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Mav you can usually pick those starters up at a local parts store relatively easy and for a similar price. Just call around. You don't have to mess around with eBay and shipping.

Snail, what is that second solenoid on the starter. Is that the relay built on to the starter solenoid itself?
Yes it is starter solenoid relay. Usually mechanics don't care about wires when they install starter or performing any work around. Wire insulation is crap and vibration takes it away. Then it shorts and starter start runaway. I lost my stater during driving. Ironin was in sleeper taking nap when suddenly his engine start running. Scary, good his truck was in neutral.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Wiseman , stevesparts , Mav
02-22-2018, (Subject: Starter burnt up ) 
Thank you everyone. I will look around when I get home.
replyreply
02-22-2018, (Subject: Starter burnt up ) 
FleetPride had the best prices locally when I replaced mine.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.