Egr cooler question
03-30-2016, (Subject: Egr cooler question ) 
Egr cooler question
I recently went to look at a 2013 T800 with a ISX 450, 220,000 miles. Truck had been sitting 8 weeks without use. The owner told me he had no issues when it was parked but when he started it the day before I showed up it had a check engine light and was 3 gallons low on coolant. He took it to the dealer who pressure tested the system and found no external leaks. The shop told me they expect a bag egr cooler. I returned home. The seller calls me about 4 hours later and says it was only clamps needed replacing, truck is good to go now. 1st question is can this be possible and if it's true how could it not be external? I'm just learning about the egr engines, I have 2007 C-15 now but it's getting old. Any help is appreciated!
replyreply
RE: Egr cooler question
The EGR cooler will not leak externally, and that coolant is going somewhere... I have been trough all of this with my CM-871 and coolant loss... To leak 3 gallons of coolant is either a lose clamp and there is a big puddle or stain over 8 weeks or it is in the motor somewhere... Any white smoke at start up?

To test the EGR cooler, remove the tube off the back and see if it is full of coolant, or wet or dry with your finger, and then pressure test. You do not have to remove the cooler to do this. Rawze has a video on this... Or take it to the dealer and let them do it, if they know how... Why is he selling it?
replyreply
Trucks that are profitable do not get sold. Keep that in mind when purchasing it.

Plan a trip to Mr. Hag (Atlanta), or the Unilevers shop (Canada or Indianna), or Gearheads shop (Maryland) in its very near future after getting it to have it gone through if you want to not have any problems with it down the road.

I would also invest in some tools and start learning how to work on it a bit yourself if you don't want to go broke letting the stealerships rape you in the arse every time the check engine light comes on. That is in fact why most people hate the newer trucks. They leave themselves at the mercy of those who are only going to rip you off and fix little to nothing in return.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I'm in PA, these trucks are in Texas, I haul dry bulk and these have blowers installed already, they are out of the oil fields. 220,000 miles but 12,300 hours. The owner got out of it because the price of oil killed them. There marked down about 20g from what they go for up here. He told me the only issues where egr related. He recommended a delete. I read your post about the egr cooler going bad about 250,000- 300,000 miles. This truck fits that. I'm do for a in frame on my C15 but thought about going this route. I flew down to drive one home and that's when I ran into this. I don't trust it now. Really confused as what route to go. I unload at 800 rpm 3 hours a day. Should I stay away from any egr engine??? Your advise would be appreciated
replyreply
By Chance is theT800 all white with a 42inc sleeper? If so I bought one in Houston. PM me and we can talk.
replyreply
Well, if it's an oilfield truck, it's been used and abused. I know cause I iuse to deliver to the well sites, and the roads are only drivable at about 10 miles per hour, even if you want to call them roads. Then sometimes we would sit for 2-3 days at a time waiting to unload{ lots of idling on the engine}. Then one day at the kW dealer in San antonio, met a wrecker guy, who was making a killing hauling all those trucks out of the oil patch. And yes he had a big ole smile on his face, and gave me his card. Lol
replyreply
I heard the roads where bad, I'm more concerned with the idle time, I watched the video for egr tune up and figured I'd do that as soon as I got it home. Is the issue with idling the soot build up or something else?
replyreply
(03-30-2016 )Paracefan Wrote:  I'm in PA, these trucks are in Texas, I haul dry bulk and these have blowers installed already, they are out of the oil fields. 220,000 miles but 12,300 hours. The owner got out of it because the price of oil killed them. There marked down about 20g from what they go for up here. He told me the only issues where egr related. He recommended a delete. I read your post about the egr cooler going bad about 250,000- 300,000 miles. This truck fits that. I'm do for a in frame on my C15 but thought about going this route. I flew down to drive one home and that's when I ran into this. I don't trust it now. Really confused as what route to go. I unload at 800 rpm 3 hours a day. Should I stay away from any egr engine??? Your advise would be appreciated

No one can legally tell you to "remove the mandate" if you live in the USA, nor make recommendations towards having it done, but there is a program out there that will absolutely solve of any issues along those lines. Although he is not the only one on here capable of such things, there are a couple others, -- In your case, I would contact Gearhead in a private message if you live in PA since he is just down the road form you. He and a couple others on here know far more about it than anyone else you will likely talk to about that kind of thing. I do not say that lightly.
replyreply
(03-30-2016 )Paracefan Wrote:  I heard the roads where bad, I'm more concerned with the idle time, I watched the video for egr tune up and figured I'd do that as soon as I got it home. Is the issue with idling the soot build up or something else?

soot builds up in them regardless of idling, but idling accelerates the problem.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.