Do I need a new head ?
02-23-2018, (Subject: Do I need a new head ? ) 
Do I need a new head ?
Long story short,
truck is volvo with dd13 with 550k miles

Long cranking and hard start. Driver claimed that truck runs weaker and weaker.
Changed all 6 injectors and injector cups.
2 months later valve broke down and damaged the turbo.

Shop claims need new head and new turbo.

Any thoughts. My knowlege is limited on dd13 but when injectors are being changed you have to remove camshaft and than do overhead set. ( I believe so.)

Is it possible that shop did something wrong, they are new in bussines and still learning.
No blaiming them at all just need some guidance if let them put new head and turbo.
Do I need to adjust turbo actuator when reinstalling new turbo?
All help is appreciated.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
RE: Do I need a new head ?
I'm not familiar with the DD13 heads, so I DO NOT know what they look like new...
But holy shi#t batman!!! Do those valves look severely recessed into the head/seats!
With 550k miles, yes I would change the head. It's off anyway to replace that valve. I don't know about DD's turbos and/or actuators.

edit to add: actually taking a closer look at the picture I see that DD recesses the valve seats into the head, but I would still advise a new or reman head since it's off anyway. The only way I'd say to reuse this head is if you are going to patch it and sell it if you're not concerned about your used equipment reputation if it fails shortly and becomes known.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking
thank you for the replay.
My bad it is a Volvo engine D13 not detroit diesel. Truck is not mine.
A friend of mine bought it from the dealer with 400k and made around 5k miles and had constant problems with DEF so he went to a shop in chicago area dropped 2k and they removed DEF.
The program they put into did not remove/disable EGR.
Secondly if someone is familiar with volvo trucks this program disabled Engine feature with the menu. Assume all engine codes were unaccesible und unvisible.
I strongly advised him to put at least pyro gauge but no luck here.

He made 130k miles and put new injectors then 20k miles further this happens.
He is gonna put reman head from the dealer and new turbo.
Asked him to get more pictures of pistons , block and so on. But he did not do it and the mechanic put already new head.
Do you have to retorque head bolts like in isx?
I assume he is a victim of bad delete , and maybe poor injector replacement, no clue here.
Hope this will help others.
Regarding the turbo it is the same holset turbo that isx has. Also he put new actuator too on turbo since he bought the truck and remember that when he bought it from the dealer actuator was silver not painted so assume it has been changed already.

Regarding recessed valve has 0 knowlege here.
Might it be caused by bad programing?
Might it be caued by bad overhead set after injector replacement.
(as I said you need to take camshft out in volvo engine not as simple as in isx)
replyreply
ktbtruccking ,
I really enjoyed your post !
My answer to your primary question : Do I need a new head ?
No , you don’t . But your friend definitely need a new one that will be capable of taking educated wiser decisions!

I apologize for being so sarcastic.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , hhow55 , ktbtrucking , Signature620 , Waterloo , Hammerhead , Chamberpains , simon999
02-24-2018, (Subject: Do I need a new head ? ) 
(02-23-2018 )Wiseman Wrote:  ktbtruccking ,
I really enjoyed your post !
My answer to your primary question : Do I need a new head ?
No , you don’t . But your friend definitely need a new one that will be capable of taking educated wiser decisions!

I apologize for being so sarcastic.

Lol nice answer

As for the head problem it is probably bad delete especially when guys just reprogram the cluster so the costumer won't see engine codes and drive the truck until it shi#t$ the bed. Best bet for him will be to find someone who can really work with those engines and tune them properly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktbtrucking , Waterloo , Chamberpains
02-24-2018, (Subject: Do I need a new head ? ) 
bad programming can definitely cause issues with recessed valves. Pull the valves and compare them to see how much contact area they have...

./uploads/201802/post_2_1519485699_359eab3fcb28b85517dda99880ef6f91.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , hhow55 , Chamberpains , ktbtrucking , rrod , Techmech

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.