N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem
02-26-2018, (Subject: N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem ) 
N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem
My 95 T800 had check engine light come on and engine derate the other day. 331 code Injector Circuit. From the research I've done it's a bad injector or bad wiring. I did injector cut out test and injectors 2 & 3 are bad. I'll be putting the truck in my shop to dig further into things. Engine was rebuilt 750 hours ago. 6 Reman Injectors were installed at this time. Is there a shop that someone would recommend sending these injectors to? I'm looking forward to learning but having things just continue to operate smoothly is more fun?

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
RE: N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem
I got no useful info , but I do like working on the n14 better then the isx due to the 3 heads instead of one

Oh maybe I do, one way to do a "poor man " cut out on them is you can unplug the wiring on the injector fairly easy , just be careful

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
Actually, their is a connector for each injector on the outside the head on drivers side for all 6 injector's. The most common problem I had, was the solenoid on the injector to go bad. Have you replaced the injector harness, outside the engine?. Actually it could be several issues. May want to check out quickserve.cummins.com

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , the missing link
02-27-2018, (Subject: N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem ) 
Sorry I should have been clearer on that , I did not mean on the actally injector but the plugs where hhow55 said .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
02-28-2018, (Subject: N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem ) 
I didn't know an N14 had a derate mode. If anyone can explain that, I'm interested. The only problems I ever had were the injector solenoid intermittently would cut out under a hard pull. It would cause a studder while pulling the hill but would come and go a lot of the time. I chased those dumb things both as a tech and an owner of one and the only way I could find them was having the pro-link (only tool available at the time, early 2000's) in the truck with me while it happened.
I never had a standard cylinder cut out find these stubborn injectors. Are they more easily found using Insite? Insite wasn't made back when I worked on them.
replyreply
The reason I called it a derate as I couldn't hardly get any rpm or power. I'm guessing this is done to prevent engine damage from only 2/3rds of the injectors firing. Anyone have experience with Tommy Chron of N14 parts.com

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
Even with Insite, chasing Celect injector issues can be a pain. Most of the time they will only stutter for a moment as power is applied (after a gear change) and once you change the worst one you find 1 or 2 others have a very slight stutter as well.
replyreply
I don't believe N14's had a derate in their programming. They had engine protection which would shut the engine down on low oil pressure low coolant and high Temps. and Governor's that could be set to keep RPMs from spiking past certain set points. But nothing that I'm aware of that would be classified as a derate or a limp mode or any such programming to save itself and continue running if a problem occured.
I'm only saying this because these engines were more mechanical than electronic. So finding electrical problems with them is relatively simple because there's not much of it. Ohming out wires gives away problems on these really quick or physically pulling connectors apart to see if they're brittle broken corroded or loose is pretty quick and simple too.
I really don't miss the days of mechanical engines. Just because any time you had an engine problem you knew you were going to get filthy dirty.
Nowadays there's at least a chance that you can plug your computer in find a sensor bad replace it and not so much as get your hands dirty. But that's speaking strictly from the mechanic side of me.
replyreply
03-02-2018, (Subject: N14 Injector or Injector wiring problem ) 
I removed injector wiring pass through to directly ohm out injector only to find that the clip on the Deutsch connector on the injector wiring was MIA. The injector ohmed out ok. I'm going to get new wiring harness and pass throughs. I guess I'll have to get a new injector or is there someplace I could get a new solenoid with better wiring?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201803/post_3329_1519996446_b16d9740206fd8592f90830213460733.jpeg

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.