Engine oil discussion
03-31-2016, (Subject: Engine oil discussion ) 
Engine oil discussion
Hi folks!
I've got a link from a friend of mine regarding the oils and their characteristics as per Petroleum Quality Institute of America. Take a look and throw some thoughts on it please.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/con...dhdeo.html
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
RE: Engine oil discussion
Thanks for sharing the link.

Amazing that the Walmart oil Supertech has the 2nd highest rating for Zinc count. My dumbass thought that I was doing better by passing over Supertech and buying Rotella, when I actually would have been better off with Supertech or Delo400.

I would be interested in seeing the test results for 2016. I think that link is for 2103.

I recently saw a bottle of 15/40w Valvoline and it had a Cummins reference noted as approved; and the Cummins badge symbol on it. It would be interesting to see what the real world lab results are for Valvoline also.
replyreply
From what I see here, the Chevron Delo 400LE would be the best motor oil for our CM-871s due to the high zinc content, eh? Or are there other additives that would negate Delo? Or a better oil to use over it?
replyreply
Moly is another anti wear additive.

I should have my first sample back soon from my first Delo change to see what they are compared to Shell, although I suspect it'll take a few changes to get the real picture.

Cummins advertises Valvoline oil as an approved extended oil for the Isx...... Although at the time of cm871s release my mechanic told me the other day Delo was factory oil in the Isx, not sure if there's any truth to that but it's a possibility, I noticed on the radiator I still have factory sticker for Climatech elc or Delo ELC as a substitute which leads me to believe Chevron products might've been factory initially....

Another thing, the stringent EPA laws forthcoming are pushing for lighter oils. I see Chevron is working on 5w30 oils for newer diesels, good oil may be thing of a past going forward!
replyreply
Hi Guy's
My 2 cents worth as a mechanic and started on good old 2 stroke detroits, in 1980, graduated to workshop manager with 18 mechanics and late bought an oil distributorship for TOTAL oil for our region.
High zinc oils are getting to be a thing of the past, zinc, sulphated ash, sulphur and phosphor are old school and they collectively harm the after treatment systems.
You can spend days on the subject and just get more and more confused.
Additives are also a definite out, they contain the old school products, which modern engines don't require. modern materials last longer anyway. if they were any good Caltex and the likes would have this in their oil, they want you as a long term customer!!!
All the old school additives in the oil are replaced slowly with better modern alternatives.
The best way to protect your engine is:
Change oil and filters regularly with specified and approved oil. ( That doesn't mean you have to use valvoline on your ISX, it can be TOTAL, Mobil, Shell, as long as it is approved!!!)
Change airfilters regularly ( I know of people that get them cleaned, a definite NO)
If you are concerned about soot get an aftermarket bypass filter fitted, Luberfiner do a good assembly.
If your engine has had an " event" that required some work and had rocker covers or waterpumps removed etc get the oil and filters changed, contaminants have entered the system.
Most important, buy oil from the big companies, they have a warranty and guarantee and have approvals. A "will fit" oil does not have approvals so you're on your own.
Also a little bit extra spent on a good oil will come back at ya when your truck does a million without work.
And last but not least, a dollar saved on fuel( proper driving) is a dollar saved on maintenance, anyway, not everybody will approve, but I had 450 customers buying my oil and proved to them and my sales staff almost every time that quality beats price when you deal with mechanical items every day.
replyreply
(03-31-2016 )Optimanzltd Wrote:  Hi Guy's
My 2 cents worth as a mechanic and started on good old 2 stroke detroits, in 1980, graduated to workshop manager with 18 mechanics and late bought an oil distributorship for TOTAL oil for our region.
High zinc oils are getting to be a thing of the past, zinc, sulphated ash, sulphur and phosphor are old school and they collectively harm the after treatment systems.
You can spend days on the subject and just get more and more confused.
Additives are also a definite out, they contain the old school products, which modern engines don't require. modern materials last longer anyway. if they were any good Caltex and the likes would have this in their oil, they want you as a long term customer!!!
All the old school additives in the oil are replaced slowly with better modern alternatives.
The best way to protect your engine is:
Change oil and filters regularly with specified and approved oil. ( That doesn't mean you have to use valvoline on your ISX, it can be TOTAL, Mobil, Shell, as long as it is approved!!!)
Change airfilters regularly ( I know of people that get them cleaned, a definite NO)
If you are concerned about soot get an aftermarket bypass filter fitted, Luberfiner do a good assembly.
If your engine has had an " event" that required some work and had rocker covers or waterpumps removed etc get the oil and filters changed, contaminants have entered the system.
Most important, buy oil from the big companies, they have a warranty and guarantee and have approvals. A "will fit" oil does not have approvals so you're on your own.
Also a little bit extra spent on a good oil will come back at ya when your truck does a million without work.
And last but not least, a dollar saved on fuel( proper driving) is a dollar saved on maintenance, anyway, not everybody will approve, but I had 450 customers buying my oil and proved to them and my sales staff almost every time that quality beats price when you deal with mechanical items every day.

How about us guys with the "mandate" removed on our CM-871s? I have used Rotella for as long as I owned the truck, 200,000 miles worth... She is in the shop right now getting an in frame and a bunch of other stuff. All looked good when we cracked her open, but there was some wear in the head where the cams sat. Other than that she looked really good.

So, stay with Rotella or switch over to the higher zinc Delo? Just want to do right by the motor, as long as she is getting what she needs I really do not care about the brand. That is as long as it is readily available, and I'm sure you know what I mean.
replyreply
Delo changed their formula a few years back to compete better in the market form what i hear. i already knew it had the highest zinc content. I also knew Supertech is not so bad as a cheap brand either. That is why I recommended their gear lube as a replacement to lucas (as an engine additive only, not as a gearbox lube).

I see someone else did their homework too. That is good.

i have always used Rotella-t, but that is because I didn't want to switch brands. After my inframe I will be using Delo-400. i have recommended it to others in the past year or so because i already knew it had better zinc ratio.

I don't need anything special,.. just good. I want my engine to last as long as possible too,... but someone can drive themselves nuts trying to find that last little spec of perfection in their oil. Screw that, -- get something that works, and works good and simply stick to it. That way you can move on towards something else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
04-01-2016, (Subject: Engine oil discussion ) 
Thanks Rawze, I will be switching over to Delo then. Like I said above, I don't care what name is on the bottle, just that it is readily available and good for the motor. ;-)
replyreply
04-01-2016, (Subject: Engine oil discussion ) 
Now I am pocking around and found that Chevron has a new motor oil out, the Delo 400 SD 15W-30. Anyone have info on this motor oil? And the 30 vs 40 of the Delo 400 LE 15W-40? This viscosity change to a 30, would that not be better in our low pressure CM-871? Easier to get oil up to the head, or is my thinking off base? Also thinking of cold starts? But, this is a new oil for these newer motors, what have they removed or lessened compared to the 400 LE? I can't find any breakdown on this stuff, so I thought I would ask.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.