Engine oil discussion
04-01-2016, (Subject: Engine oil discussion ) 
RE: Engine oil discussion
(04-01-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Now I am pocking around and found that Chevron has a new motor oil out, the Delo 400 SD 15W-30. Anyone have info on this motor oil? And the 30 vs 40 of the Delo 400 LE 15W-40? This viscosity change to a 30, would that not be better in our low pressure CM-871? Easier to get oil up to the head, or is my thinking off base? Also thinking of cold starts? But, this is a new oil for these newer motors, what have they removed or lessened compared to the 400 LE? I can't find any breakdown on this stuff, so I thought I would ask.

The new, lower viscosity oils are being produces because of EPA mandates to strip even more Zinc away from oils under the guise of "Lower Carbon emissions". I can tell you that they are NOT as good as they use to be, and it is mostly all in the name of "lower carbon emissions" because they think that thinning out the oil will make an engine get better fuel mileage. I am sorry,.. But my truck busts 9 mpg with loaded trailers at 57 mph, and I am running a gallon of GEAR OIL IN IT!. -- It is a crock o sh$T brainwashing strategy play to purposefully shorten the life of all truck engines down to about 435,000 miles instead of a million if you ask me. They have been fighting this battle with the oil makers for a while now to get them to make oils that shorten the life of engines down to the timespan that the emissions components typically last. They also want all the zinc out because it washes away the precious metals in the DOC, etc. and makes it harder for a truck to regen and make good emissions after about 400k miles on the components.

The thinking is that if the engine only last as long as the emissions components,.. Then people will not tamper with them so much, -- They will replace the equipment instead and that would be better for the economy and boost truck sales.

Do what you want to,.. but you need to consider WHY an oil maker would drop viscosity, zinc, moly, etc. knowing it is already a bit low for a particular engine.

Come 2017, gear lubes and hydraulic lubes are going to be the only thing left with good additives in them. I have been saying that for a couple years now.

There was even a couple Detroit DD15 engine that was torn down after half million miles on display using these newer oils vs older oils, and when someone wanted to actually put the parts under microscope and/or even check wear with calipers,.. They quickly and suddenly refused. If your going to put your money where your mouth is,.. Prove it with science,.. and not some bullshit promoted polished up parts that may have revealed the truth if looked at more closely.

It is called CK-4 oil and ALL the articles brag about how it can save you fuel (though it is actually very very negligible and immeasurably minute at best),.. but NONE of them are bragging and showing hard data of how it will protect your engine as well. They are only sticking to generic bullsh$T statements like "backwards compatible" and "just as protective" etc.

My take is going to be that is it not going to be a good thing for your engine long term.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
On quickserve, cummins has specifically stated not to use 10w-30 with the cm-871.

03-Apr-2014 Section V - Maintenance Specifications 101-018-003-om-auto Lubricating Oil Recommendations and Specifications 10W-30 oil is only for use in 2010 ISX 12/15 liter product and is not allowed or recommended for 2007 and earlier engines. Not allowed in any dual overhead camshaft engines.
replyreply
Thanks to all of you! It is a damn shame that something as simple as motor oil can be such a big issue. The days of just putting a good quality off the shelf oil into are rigs is long gone. You need to be a damn rocket scientist to get the damn truck down the road anymore. Delo 400 LE is what I will use and be done with it. Again, thanks to all who replied! And that gallon jug of Sta-Lube... ;-)
replyreply
With the price of oil down, now would be a good time to buy a few drums of your favorite flavor of motor oil. I switched last year to Delo 400 15W-40 from Delvac 1300 and run 1 gallon of gear lube Ala - Rawze. Cams are unscathed and we don't idle except for sitting in traffic. Now that the weather has broke, the bypass filter is next in line, then maybe we can get the oil looking like coke instead of black ink now that it's tuned right!

Walmart sells the 2 1/2 gl. jugs of Delo 400 and the price is very competitive with wholesale suppliers even if you're buying bulk. Our last oil change was at Speedco and with Delo 400 and Baldwin filters the price was only about $40 more than DIY.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Smile RE: Engine oil discussion
Just thought I'd chime in on my favorite oil. It is solely based on unscientific guesstimations based upon Internet factology. Anyways there's an engineer doing independent testing on oil (rat540 oil blog, good read if your bored) that pretty much said the zinc thing for heavy duty motor oil is outdated technology. He lists the best oils based upon his own tests and the chemical breakdown through an independent lab. Long story short Delo outperforms most other diesel specific oils conventional and sythetic. But what I found interesting was how poorly the diesel specific oils ranked with what you would buy for the gasser motors. So after seeing how high pennzoil ultra ranked and the decent price you could get it for at walmart I bought some for the colder months thinking I'd lose a little oil pressure but gain cold start pump ability. I was surprised that the ISM I put it in still maintained 38 psi at 210 degrees on the oil temp and still never got over 50 psi at 19 below. I switched back to delo in the spring and noticed my oil temp went up and mileage dropped. Well if you still reading your probably thinking, "Not my engine!" And that's ok I just thought I'd share some info.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
(04-01-2016 )schISM Wrote:  Just thought I'd chime in on my favorite oil. It is solely based on unscientific guesstimations based upon Internet factology. Anyways there's an engineer doing independent testing on oil (rat540 oil blog, good read if your bored) that pretty much said the zinc thing for heavy duty motor oil is outdated technology. He lists the best oils based upon his own tests and the chemical breakdown through an independent lab. Long story short Delo outperforms most other diesel specific oils conventional and sythetic. But what I found interesting was how poorly the diesel specific oils ranked with what you would buy for the gasser motors. So after seeing how high pennzoil ultra ranked and the decent price you could get it for at walmart I bought some for the colder months thinking I'd lose a little oil pressure but gain cold start pump ability. I was surprised that the ISM I put it in still maintained 38 psi at 210 degrees on the oil temp and still never got over 50 psi at 19 below. I switched back to delo in the spring and noticed my oil temp went up and mileage dropped. Well if you still reading your probably thinking, "Not my engine!" And that's ok I just thought I'd share some info.

Good info, and I am not ignoring... After having spent my morning reading up on this stuff, and many moments in between... I'll go with the additive package of the Delo. The truck is paid for, and a few extra gallons of fuel really does not matter to me, as I only drive a couple hundred miles a day... My concern is the motor, and keeping her healthy... And the Zinc, ZDDP is very important according to many sources, even though everyone argues about it... What I found interesting is the BORON and MOLY... The Delo has that covered, and are the company that discovered and developed it. Yes, I was really THAT bored on the shitter this morning... ;-)

I miss my Reader's Digest... LOL!
replyreply
I've been a Delo guy since I bought the truck in 2014 . Ive played with all brands to see how engine works, sounds, performs towards mpg, eats oil, etc. and after trying Delvac, rotella and Castrol(first oil change) , ive decided to stay with delo. quieter engine, less oil consumption (my engine is one of those fat fucks that eats its own ass. LOL) , best mpg., pressure...
But , ive switched to rotella , ( ive used it when i had my cans virgin, and engine oprated in different mode with A LOT of soot contamination in the oil). now with @m*m^2 Ive decide to try it one more time. cant say im happy. noisy engine. Ill go back to delo with baldwin extendeds, since i had no problems with them . and yeah! supertech 80w90 is the bomb! \IDK why I did this move, but wont do it again. I know , changing brands isnt any good for the motor
replyreply
Super Tech eh? Better than the Sta Lube? Rawze mentioned that earlier... I'm using the Sta Lube right now, but truck is getting an in frame and want to do this once in regards to oil. I don't want to be switching brands...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.