Engine oil discussion
03-31-2016, (Subject: Engine oil discussion ) 
RE: Engine oil discussion
(03-31-2016 )Optimanzltd Wrote:  Hi Guy's
My 2 cents worth as a mechanic and started on good old 2 stroke detroits, in 1980, graduated to workshop manager with 18 mechanics and late bought an oil distributorship for TOTAL oil for our region.
High zinc oils are getting to be a thing of the past, zinc, sulphated ash, sulphur and phosphor are old school and they collectively harm the after treatment systems.
You can spend days on the subject and just get more and more confused.
Additives are also a definite out, they contain the old school products, which modern engines don't require. modern materials last longer anyway. if they were any good Caltex and the likes would have this in their oil, they want you as a long term customer!!!
All the old school additives in the oil are replaced slowly with better modern alternatives.
The best way to protect your engine is:
Change oil and filters regularly with specified and approved oil. ( That doesn't mean you have to use valvoline on your ISX, it can be TOTAL, Mobil, Shell, as long as it is approved!!!)
Change airfilters regularly ( I know of people that get them cleaned, a definite NO)
If you are concerned about soot get an aftermarket bypass filter fitted, Luberfiner do a good assembly.
If your engine has had an " event" that required some work and had rocker covers or waterpumps removed etc get the oil and filters changed, contaminants have entered the system.
Most important, buy oil from the big companies, they have a warranty and guarantee and have approvals. A "will fit" oil does not have approvals so you're on your own.
Also a little bit extra spent on a good oil will come back at ya when your truck does a million without work.
And last but not least, a dollar saved on fuel( proper driving) is a dollar saved on maintenance, anyway, not everybody will approve, but I had 450 customers buying my oil and proved to them and my sales staff almost every time that quality beats price when you deal with mechanical items every day.

How about us guys with the "mandate" removed on our CM-871s? I have used Rotella for as long as I owned the truck, 200,000 miles worth... She is in the shop right now getting an in frame and a bunch of other stuff. All looked good when we cracked her open, but there was some wear in the head where the cams sat. Other than that she looked really good.

So, stay with Rotella or switch over to the higher zinc Delo? Just want to do right by the motor, as long as she is getting what she needs I really do not care about the brand. That is as long as it is readily available, and I'm sure you know what I mean.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Engine oil discussion - NewSon - 03-31-2016,
RE: Engine oil discussion - Waterloo - 03-31-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.