What gear oil
03-11-2018, (Subject: What gear oil ) 
RE: What gear oil
So my truck had a bottle of pukas in the side-box that someone gave us a long time ago. We were using it to pour onto the fifth wheel instead of grease. We use crapy oil instead of grease on the fifth wheel most of the time because I don't like the nasty grease buildup. - We cleaned out the side-box a few days ago and sure enough, like everything else in the side box that sits in there long enough, it was seeping out of the bottom of the jug and getting all over everything.

It had seeped out and there was this really nasty residue left over. It was like melted rubber or something and nothing would take it off. The only thing I could figure is that it was the olefin polemers that are added to the oil that has gotten left behind.

The stuff was dark blu-ish green and like a half-melted, gooey, sticky like glue, and strechy like melted rubber. Not gasoline, not oil, not anything would take it off. WD-40 seemed to help the most but even it would not dilute it properly. I would hate to think what mechanic would be cursing if deposits of that stuff were to be inside someones engine. I would hate the thought that sh$it goo would end up blocking a cross-channel somewhere to a cam lobe.

Sorry, but I am not having something like that in my engine after seeing this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Toolguy
Nice thought how you sleep right above all those things in your side box and your bunk HVAC system is right there with all the chemicals and oils and nasty stuff we store in them LOL
replyreply
(03-11-2018 )seldomseen Wrote:  Nice thought how you sleep right above all those things in your side box and your bunk HVAC system is right there with all the chemicals and oils and nasty stuff we store in them LOL

yup, good thought. May be like that on some trucks, not sure. On our truck the HVAC is on the opposite side and the intake for it is in the cab, not the side box.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
03-12-2018, (Subject: What gear oil ) 
Sta-Lube is $39/gal? Is that what I'm reading?

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
03-13-2018, (Subject: What gear oil ) 
(03-05-2018 )sbtrucking Wrote:  I used the walmart 80 90 gl5 for last couple hundred k miles, I need to check with mr.hagg on how the engine internals look he is doing the inframe now

Did you ask Mr. Hagg about this yet? Inquiring minds need to know. LOL

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
(03-12-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  Sta-Lube is $39/gal? Is that what I'm reading?

I just paid $36 on Amazon, Napa also sells it. But, that is right about in the ballpark. The price on Amazon fluctuates, sometimes as low as $25.
replyreply
(03-13-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  
(03-05-2018 )sbtrucking Wrote:  I used the walmart 80 90 gl5 for last couple hundred k miles, I need to check with mr.hagg on how the engine internals look he is doing the inframe now

The truck is coming out of the shop tmrw for test drive and brake in so I may fly to Atlanta soon and talk to him about it if I should continue to use the waleyworld oil.

By the way I got oil sample of my 2008 cm871 with over 1.2m miles the other day.
I did the sample cause I pushed it being busy to 28k miles, I usually change it below 20k miles, I use delo and galon of supertch 80-90 on my trucks, I have been using walmart gear oil on it for the past 200k miles. I dont know much how to read this sample hope some one can help us out understand it.

replyreply
(03-13-2018 )sbtrucking Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  

The truck is coming out of the shop tmrw for test drive and brake in so I may fly to Atlanta soon and talk to him about it if I should continue to use the waleyworld oil.

By the way I got oil sample of my 2008 cm871 with over 1.2m miles the other day.
I did the sample cause I pushed it being busy to 28k miles, I usually change it below 20k miles, I use delo and galon of supertch 80-90 on my trucks, I have been using walmart gear oil on it for the past 200k miles. I dont know much how to read this sample hope some one can help us out understand it.

iron is nice and low for the mileage on the oil. Viscosity is up due to the thicker gear oil and is normal.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: sbtrucking , Toolguy
"iron is nice and low for the mileage on the oil. Viscosity is up due to the thicker gear oil and is normal."

Thank you Rawze,
So the V100C reading is the viscosity?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.