Air Compressor air in coolant.
03-04-2018, (Subject: Air Compressor air in coolant. ) 
Air Compressor air in coolant.
All right, I'm going to ask, how does the air from the compressor work its way into the coolant system? And what fails on these ISX compressors, is it the rings or a valve? The compressor head gasket? I'm probably not the only one curious about this. My compressor is failing, have to run a short load tomorrow and then heading in to the house to replace.

Well, quickServe is your friend! Coolant lines into the compressor! Imagine that? LOL!

But still, where is the air escaping from in the compressor to make it's way into the coolant system? Is it bad rings, compressor head gasket?
replyreply
03-05-2018, (Subject: Air Compressor air in coolant. ) 
RE: Air Compressor air in coolant.
The head is two halves. Two pieces or whatever you want to call them. There is a gasket in between them looking like a maze/labyrinth. It seals air and coolant passageways keeping them separate . There is where the leakage occurs in one or other direction.
That’s it . No magic. No science . No nothing. Just trouble .

Now , get your favorite drink, favorite cigar, have a comfortable seat and say:
- f$%k EVERYTHING! and relax
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Hammerhead , Paccardude
(03-05-2018 )Wiseman Wrote:  ...

Grabbing a beer...
lol -- Ahhhhh. thats better.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , Waterloo , Hammerhead , simon999 , Andre_The_Giant
(03-05-2018 )Wiseman Wrote:  The head is two halves. Two pieces or whatever you want to call them. There is a gasket in between them looking like a maze/labyrinth. It seals air and coolant passageways keeping them separate . There is where the leakage occurs in one or other direction.

LMAO! You win! That is the best suggestion of the year! On my way sir!

But, which gasket? Is it the head gasket or is there another? Or one of the seals. I guess what I am asking is do I need a new compressor or is this as simple as getting a head kit for the compressor and installing that?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Wiseman
(03-05-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(03-05-2018 )Wiseman Wrote:  The head is two halves. Two pieces or whatever you want to call them. There is a gasket in between them looking like a maze/labyrinth. It seals air and coolant passageways keeping them separate . There is where the leakage occurs in one or other direction.

But, which gasket? Is it the head gasket or is there another? Or one of the seals. I guess what I am asking is do I need a new compressor or is this as simple as getting a head kit for the compressor and installing that?

Yes, it's in the head. The head is where the coolant passages are to cool the adibiatic heating of compressing large volumes of air.
The bottom end of the compressor is cooled by engine oil, as that's just mechanical resistance heat.

editied to add: snip from other thread. I didn't read it first
(03-04-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  ... But, I have gurgling from the coolant and oil on the compressor where it is being blown out of the front cover directly in front of the compressor, where the oil fill tube is.

I'm confused a lil bit now; do you have compressed air in your cooling system?
Or is compressed air venting out the crankcase?
Or both?

Compressed air in the cooling system is evidence of compressor head passageway leakage. Compressor head replacement only.
Compressed air blowing out the cover directly in front of the compressor (oil fill tube location on an 871) sounds like you have compressor ring issues and compressed air is blowing out the front of the compressor which would directly hit your oil fill tube. This would be a whole compressor by the sounds of it to me if I'm understanding you correctly.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Wiseman , Signature620
(03-05-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(03-05-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  

Yes, it's in the head. The head is where the coolant passages are to cool the adibiatic heating of compressing large volumes of air.
The bottom end of the compressor is cooled by engine oil, as that's just mechanical resistance heat.

editied to add: snip from other thread. I didn't read it first
(03-04-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  ... But, I have gurgling from the coolant and oil on the compressor where it is being blown out of the front cover directly in front of the compressor, where the oil fill tube is.

I'm confused a lil bit now; do you have compressed air in your cooling system?
Or is compressed air venting out the crankcase?
Or both?

Compressed air in the cooling system is evidence of compressor head passageway leakage. Compressor head replacement only.
Compressed air blowing out the cover directly in front of the compressor (oil fill tube location on an 871) sounds like you have compressor ring issues and compressed air is blowing out the front of the compressor which would directly hit your oil fill tube. This would be a whole compressor by the sounds of it to me if I'm understanding you correctly.

Yep, both... Oil coming out of the fill neck where it leaves the front cover and compressed air in the coolant system. Also oil at the compucheck port on the discharge side of the compressor. Now worried about the air dryer...

I have a new compressor coming, new reman, no new available according to Cummins. I found one at FleetPride, reman HALDEX unit for $850 vs the $1,200 the dealer wanted for their reman unit. Dealer wanted roughly $1000 to install too! I about fell over! Guess I am braving the cold in the driveway to install this. Just walked in the door... Michigan State Police gave me a driving award on the way to the house, actually a warning, 62 in a 55... Not how I wanted to start my week.

Anything I need to know? I saw Rawze's video in regards to barring the motor and lining up the pin to the compressor gear. Any hints or tips?

Oh, the service guy said I will need a new regulator, I thought that was built into the compressor head? Or that is what I assumed on the QuickServe site. Also, a new gasket for the power steering pump too, the dealer has those in stock. FleetPride said the all needed gaskets will come with the new reman compressor, anyone know about that? Compressor is from Haldex.

I just called the local Cummins shop, a new compressor is running $1800! Talk about busting a guys balls! And only two available.

Any of you guys have experience with the Haldex compressors? Also a reman, any good? Or pay the $1,200 hundred for the reman Cummins version?

Oh, new air dryer too, it is acting up, 1 million miles, be stupid to not replace, I am sure there is oil in there... New reman, $329, Bendix, 1 year warranty.

Air Dryer and compressor, FleetPride, $1179 out the door.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.