Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX.
03-05-2018, (Subject: Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX. ) 
Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX.
Hi folks,

I have spent a week reading and watching the videos here at Rawze's home for wayward truckers. I'm starting a thread here so others can follow along as I learn with a new to me Volvo and go thru the process as time permits.
Some background, I'm 56 and started driving trucks when I was 18 in a B model Mack with a 22 speed twin stick quadraplex. All through the years I have driven just about every type of truck out there. Have always loved them.
Currently I'm not in trucking but my job will allow me to dabble back in it so I'm going to get a used truck and get my own authority so I can pick and chose loads when I have the time to do it.
I have always worked on everything I've owned and this web site has shown me that the ISX is a great engine that can still be worked on by the owner just like every truck from years past.
I'm flying into Aberdeen SD on the 11th and picking up a truck I have found and driving it back to Pompano Beach FL where I live. In about 6 months it and me will end up in Wyoming where I'm moving with my wife to build the last house I'll ever live in.

SO, the truck is a 2005 Volvo with a 400hp ISX15 and a 10 speed with 3.42 rears. Its a VNL64T630 with full fairings except the top one and has 721,000 on the clock. It is spec'd exactly the way I want it. Once I get it home I'm going to do every check and cleaning plus overhead that Rawze has so graciously given to this community. Well see just what kinda life this old horse has had and go from there. And if your asking the question why a Volvo and specifically why this model, it's because I have driven every truck out there at one time or another. When I worked at Fedex pulling doubles the owner I drove for had a full dress 800 series KW that in my younger years was the truck every cowboy dreamed of right down to the studio sleeper. That truck would never get over 5.5 mpg with all the crap it had hanging in the wind no matter how you drove it but it was sure pretty.
I drove Volvo's for a tanker operation and they are like driving a car, got great mileage and for me I just always liked them.
So with this truck I want to explore doing everything I can to promote the best mpg I can get. What better way than to take a cheap truck as a foundation and rebuild it into what you want. Do a google search for the Volvo super truck project and that is where I want to go.

So right out the gate I'm ordering a Inline 6 from OBII365 and some of the tools Rawze has used in his videos to do the inspections on the truck once I get it here.

The only thing as of this moment in time after I get it checked out is to turn the motor up but I want to defer to Mr Hagg's suggestion on what that number should be for the best mpg. I know Rawze has his at 450 but back in the day when the big cam Cummins 500 was the big dog on the block you would turn that engine back to a 435hp and it was the sweetest motor out there for all around mpg vs hp.
I'm wondering if the sweet spot is 425, 435 or 450 hp for the 870's. And now after reading all of the great info on this board I know that I need a seasoned pro like Mr Hagg to do this tweak as it is more involved than I thought and I want the correct solid baseline to start with then tweak it from there.

Mr Rawze if this is the wrong place for this thread please move it to the proper place. Thank you for all do.

I'll check back in once I have the truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
RE: Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX.
- I think you made a great post of your plight, thanks for that, but what you say is also somewhat contradictory.

You say you want high fuel mileage and that what you found is "your perfect truck" but I would question this heavily if fuel mileage is your highest goal. At least that is what I gathered based on your post any ways. If that is so then there are a lot of negatives things working against you there. You mention 3:42 rears, not so good for fuel mileage + a Volvo which happens to be the least fuel efficient Aero-style truck out there + you are looking at a CM870 which although is very close, has slightly less fuel efficiency than anything newer. Does not make much sense in the context you presented it in.

You also mentioned that "volvo Super-truck" (more marketed hype than anything realistic) which I think they did a lot of tweaking of the body, trailer, etc. to get where it is at,.. Just think if they had used a prostar, cascadia, or T700 with a shaved hood, mirrors removed, and that same trailer,... With a custom tuned ISX -- It would have kicked the teeth out of that Volvo so I am not the least bit impressed by it actually. My own truck has already gotten close to those mpg numbers all on its own WITHOUT all those mods. Just think what it would get if it had all that extra stuff done to it.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...83#pid6383

-- Any ways, I just though I would apply some realistic perspective to your original post there and some thought of my own. Hopefully you have picked out the truck based on what you like and not solely because you think you can make it into something based off of some crappy marketed hype.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Thanks Rawze for your insight on this. I did pick the truck for what I like which is Volvo and I know the Volvo super truck is a marketing gimmick for the most part but I would like to apply some of the techniques they did such as extend skirts etc. Not all the research is snake oil and some of it might NOT be practical such as cameras and screens for the side mirrors but it can be fun to find out.

I know the Prostar can be better in the aero department but I still like the Volvo look so again yes the truck style is for my enjoyment while I do this. And I'm not trying to make a living out the gate doing this. I have a few years left doing what I do now in remote production TV and would love to semi retire into trucking which is where I started in life. I don't want to go back into trucking to be trapped behind the wheel, I want to book loads to places and then spend some time there seeing what I missed when I was just looking out the windshield the last time through with no time to stop.

Also I did pick an older truck to play with so I don't have to go full in to the DPF and newer DEF emissions systems as I rebuild the truck. For example the rear end ratio can be changed and I'm guessing your thinking to put in 3.55's. Either way this is going to be the baseline truck I start with then one change at a time to see where it goes. And I don't care that I can't go into California. As far as I'm concerned the USA ends at Arizona and Nevada.

That is primarily why I was so excited to find your web site and then find out working on the ISX isn't any harder than working on the 350's and 400's of years past. I was convinced there was no way to be in control of these newer electronic engines and you have not only proven it can be done but done well. I was sure to own a newer truck was to be a slave to the stealerships and I despise the crap they pull and then not really fix your truck,...... it's criminal!

Keep your insights coming.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , Waterloo
And this is what the trailers look like in remote production TV

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman , Waterloo , Rawze , DLC
Superbug, COOL! Sounds like a fun gig! That 870 is a good motor, just check it out thoroughly, make sure it has not seen any time up North in the oil field. Front suspension, if it has air bags, they can be an issue. Also, check the front cover, look for oil. Then the EGR, yes it has one of those... If you can, pop the top and inspect the cams. First thing I would do, if it passes muster is get it to Mr Hagg and let him work his magic on it. Hopefully it has a good service record with regular oil changes, if not you will more than likely have to in frame it. Cummins is getting a bit stupid on their pricing when it comes to their parts, so keep that in mind. Owned one, wished I would have kept it. Had the 870, miss the dinette. ;-)
replyreply
03-06-2018, (Subject: Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX. ) 
I have Volvo and Prostar. Prostar really have better fuel mileage.
replyreply
03-07-2018, (Subject: Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX. ) 
One thing to add to your volvo should be the Deep Space Lighting headlight kit. I did it to mine and it made a world of difference over the stock headlights.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock , kryten , Billdozer2
03-08-2018, (Subject: Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX. ) 
Just some info for guys getting some of the recommended gauges and the inline 6 with insight software.

I went to Isspro for a 3" Pyrometer and 2-1/16" 0-60 psi boost gauge. That was $326.75
./uploads/201803/post_3391_1520532535_f2d6f2c5063fec5d760e6bbb0c42ff70.jpg

I went to obdii365 for the Inline 6. It was $276. I'm curious how long it will take to get here. They claim 3 - 5 days.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , rrod , Waterloo
03-16-2018, (Subject: Getting started with a 2005 Volvo with the ISX. ) 
Just checking in. Got the truck home and it looks to be in great shape after 2100 miles driving it. Nothing in the exhaust when you start it and very little blow-by. No complaints with the trans. Very happy with it. When I get the time I'll get the cover pulled and do the top end inspection.

Also the Inline 6 showed up today and it looks very good also and came in a real nice case. It took exactly what they claimed for shipping at 5 work days. That's pretty good from over seas.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.