Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil
03-06-2018, (Subject: Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil ) 
Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil
Based on everything I've read on this forum, I've decided to go ahead and try the gear oil in my truck. Rawze, I truly appreciate all the research you've put in to studying the different tests etc. regarding using gear oils, EP's, and NASA stuff. That said, the following are my oil sample results PRIOR to adding the gear oil although there will be one more sample coming that I just sent off yesterday. I will continue to sample at 10,000 mile intervals and base my oil change interval on that. The oil I put in is Shell Rotella T4 which is CJ4 compliant to keep the ash at a minimum (recommended for the 2013 DD13). If you have a newer DD series than the 2013, check your oil requirements but I believe the Rotella T4 is CK4 compliant also.

I reckon I should preface this with a little info regarding my workloads, driving styles, and truck. I own a 2013 Cascadia with a DD13 Detroit that now has appx 676,500 miles, still mandated although looking for someone who can rectify that. I do not have a bypass filter system yet, although I'm considering the Baldwin system, nor do I have a turbo boost gauge yet so I've been using the "fuel miser" in my truck where I have it set on the "fuel rate" function which reads in gallons per hour. I use this in tandem with my coolant temperature gauge and try to keep my temp reading below 210 degrees which requires a fuel rate at or below 7.7 gph. I consider it fortunate that my temp gauge is very responsive and lets me know within 5 seconds that the heat is coming up. When it starts to rise I downshift which cools it off (Rawze has stated several times that the heat comes from the fuel and the turbo). I've been known to upset quite a few drivers on I-65 near Cullman and Hanceville because I will be in 6th gear climbing the mountains near Dodge City Petro, but that temperature doesn't come up above 210. I also believe, but haven't proven, that much of the problems we have with newer engines are directly related to the heating/cooling of the EGR coolers. As a result, I try to keep my coolant temp within as narrow a band as possible.

I haul cryogenics (liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen) and I go to places like hospitals, steel mills, metal recycling plants, and catfish farms in and around Tuscaloosa, AL. Occasionally I venture into Tennessee and Georgia, but for the most part it's Alabama and Mississippi. My loads are generally 79,750# (driver on) with two or three deliveries per load. It's not uncommon for me to climb Sand Mountain and Lookout Mountain chains in Alabama going to county hospitals and smaller manufacturing facilities. I usually drive at 55-61 mph. BTW, I'm also attaching a couple of pictures of my gauge readings which are pretty normal for MY interstate highway driving as well as a pic of the gear oil I used. Also included is an interesting tid-bit from Detroit about oil changing, sampling and stuff.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

.pdf  3607445_192-OT#192-OT_D430-48029-0320_NAR.PDF (Size: 127.99 KB / Downloads: 38)
.pdf  Oil Sample 122216_1.pdf (Size: 292.92 KB / Downloads: 41)
.pdf  813-13.pdf (Size: 292.73 KB / Downloads: 55)

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
03-07-2018, (Subject: Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil ) 
RE: Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil
I forgot to add the image of the gear oil. It is the SuperTech brand. 80w-90 GL-5
non-synthetic

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
03-14-2018, (Subject: Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil ) 
As promised, this is my 5th, and last oil sample before adding the gear lube. Next oil sample will contain the SuperTech gear lube.

.pdf  3607445_192-OT#192-OT_D430-48068-0649_NAR (1).PDF (Size: 128.6 KB / Downloads: 232)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
How did you get the soot down to zero? That’s awfully clean.
replyreply
(03-14-2018 )uncleal13 Wrote:  How did you get the soot down to zero? That’s awfully clean.

uncleal, I don't know. I spoke with Eric at the Caterpillar oil lab. He said they use a different method than they did in the past and that any reading below a certain threshold shows up as zero. He also said that the DD series engines for some reason have been incredibly clean in the soot category. Even with my Speedco samples I was only getting a 0.7 and a 0.6. That said, I know Detroit uses a centrifuge to filter the engine block vapors so that may be the reason. It makes me re-think whether or not I want to install a bypass filter. Posting a couple of pix of the centrifuge.

replyreply
03-15-2018, (Subject: Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil ) 
   i Have a 2016 DD16 and also use Cat for oil analysis.
I’ve been doing 500 hour oil changes, which is about 17,000 miles in my operation pulling super b-trains on the Canadian Prairies.
replyreply
03-15-2018, (Subject: Detroit DD13 Addng Gear Oil ) 
(03-15-2018 )uncleal13 Wrote:  i Have a 2016 DD16 and also use Cat for oil analysis.
I’ve been doing 500 hour oil changes, which is about 17,000 miles in my operation pulling super b-trains on the Canadian Prairies.

That is quite a long stretch between oil changes there if your looking at engine hours.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: uncleal13

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.