Gear Oil Question Chevron Delo
04-01-2016, (Subject: Gear Oil Question Chevron Delo ) 
Gear Oil Question Chevron Delo
Ok, been bouncing around the internet and am finding some interesting things in regards to Chevron and their lubricants. From what I gather, Chevron has been at the forefront of developing the additives that our motors and drive lines require. I'm no chemist by any stretch, but looking at their motor oils, and their history of advances like Boron and ZDDP (Zinc), and the higher ppm's of these needed additives is steering me to go all Delo in my truck. So, it is time to drop the gear oil in my rear ends. I think I am sold on the Delo products and am wondering, synthetic or their ISOSYN blend? Any thoughts?
replyreply
RE: Gear Oil Question Chevron Delo
I may have changed my mind on the gear oil and transmission fluids after seeing this... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...er=2574119
replyreply
Have you looked at Mobil products, it's what I have been using for years in the gear boxes?
replyreply
Be careful where you put your faith in oils, etc. Amsoil makes most of those research documents and it is solely to promote their products.

It is easy for them to make their oil look better than everyone else's, but their study's do reveal who is the worst anyways. Also, those studies are very old, and were done 8 - 10 years ago now, right at the edge of what oil makers were changing formulas around.

To me,.. looking at their own studies, -- they show that Mobil1 synthetic is every bit as good as their own products,.. cheaper, and easier to get. That is why I use it in my gearboxes. Their studies also show clearly why I do not like Lucas products, and it explains why I kept getting foaming in my axles when i tried their syn gear lube in my axles etc. -- I saw this study back in 2007 when it came out. For actual engine and gearbox application that are under normal load and use,.. You can throw away the HFRR and Weld tests into the trash when it comes to gear oils!. They will not tell you much about wear, as the testing frequency (movement of parts) is way too high for gear oil applications in those tests. Take em with a grain of salt. Actual Hydraulic Pressure rating will usually prevail above HFRR in gearbox and other larger engine applications where parts are not moving against each other at 10,000 RPM+.

Here is that test-- Keep in mind that it is to promote Amsoil mostly,.. and for them to brag about how "superior" their products are. There are documents on other oil products that say
differently. I am only putting here for reference -- Just be aware that Most of the data is skewed towards their own product on purpose.

.pdf  G2457-GearOilWhitePaper.pdf (Size: 481.03 KB / Downloads: 229)

=====

I am going to be pulling my engine apart in the next couple weeks. I have purposefully run super-tech 85-140 gear lube in my engine for more than a few months instead of the GL4 oil that I recommend just to see what discoloration to the "yellow metals" like copper and brass is. I also have been running ZERO PRESSURE coolant system using regular red coolant to see what kind of liner pitting may result, and of course,.. I ran evans for about 600k miles and I already know the damage that did (anodizing radiator etc.).

Lets see what the next couple weeks bring us. I will be making pictures and hopefully a video on the whole engine re-build too, though it will certainly NOT be a profession video by any means.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Be careful where you put your faith in oils, etc. Amsoil makes most of those research documents and it is solely to promote their products.

It is easy for them to make their oil look better than everyone else's, but their study's do reveal who is the worst anyways. Also, those studies are very old, and were done 8 - 10 years ago now, right at the edge of what oil makers were changing formulas around.

To me,.. looking at their own studies, -- they show that Mobil1 synthetic is every bit as good as their own products,.. cheaper, and easier to get. That is why I use it in my gearboxes. Their studies also show clearly why I do not like Lucas products, and it explains why I kept getting foaming in my axles when i tried their syn gear lube in my axles etc. -- I saw this study back in 2007 when it came out. For actual engine and gearbox application that are under normal load and use,.. You can throw away the HFRR and Weld tests into the trash when it comes to gear oils!. They will not tell you much about wear, as the testing frequency (movement of parts) is way too high for gear oil applications in those tests. Take em with a grain of salt. Actual Hydraulic Pressure rating will usually prevail above HFRR in gearbox and other larger engine applications where parts are not moving against each other at 10,000 RPM+.

Here is that test-- Keep in mind that it is to promote Amsoil mostly,.. and for them to brag about how "superior" their products are. There are documents on other oil products that say
differently. I am only putting here for reference -- Just be aware that Most of the data is skewed towards their own product on purpose.

=====

I am going to be pulling my engine apart in the next couple weeks. I have purposefully run super-tech 85-140 gear lube in my engine for more than a few months instead of the GL4 oil that I recommend just to see what discoloration to the "yellow metals" like copper and brass is. I also have been running ZERO PRESSURE coolant system using regular red coolant to see what kind of liner pitting may result, and of course,.. I ran evans for about 600k miles and I already know the damage that did (anodizing radiator etc.).

Lets see what the next couple weeks bring us. I will be making pictures and hopefully a video on the whole engine re-build too, though it will certainly NOT be a profession video by any means.

Hi Rawze...
When u said pulling ur engine apart..does it mean rebuild ?? Where will it happen? ...i will talk to my dispatch to get me a load stop by to hang out abd learn.
Thanks
replyreply
Mobil 1 she is... I have used Mobile 1 synthetic in my wife's Honda since the first oil change, and for that matter all of my cars, and have never had an issue. My wife's Honda now has well over 200,000 miles on it and it still purrs like a kitten and routinely gets 44 mpg on paper, and has never used a drop of oil. And I use the OEM Honda Oil Filter.

Mobile 1 will go in the trans and diffs when I drop those. Thanks guys!
replyreply
(04-01-2016 )wildpib Wrote:  Hi Rawze...
When u said pulling ur engine apart..does it mean rebuild ?? Where will it happen? ...i will talk to my dispatch to get me a load stop by to hang out abd learn.
Thanks

Starting it next week .

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-02-2016, (Subject: Gear Oil Question Chevron Delo ) 
Here is mine from yesterday... Parts on back order...

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.