Boost gauge and hypermiling theory
03-09-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge and hypermiling theory ) 
RE: Boost gauge and hypermiling theory
(03-08-2018 )Joesixpack Wrote:  "Hypermiling". Is that like in Star Trek when they bend space and time to get from A to B? LOL! Some of the mileage claims on here seem as realistic as Star Trek!

I used to be just as skeptical when others would say such nonsense things myself until I started achieving it too.

your welcome to come over and go through our fuel purchase history. I have nothing to hide, it is what it is.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(03-09-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 )Magard Wrote:  My needle is violent under hard load. Thought that was just normal. Is it of major concern.

No this is not normal.
Is it a mechanical or electronic gauge?
If it is an electronic gauge, then you may have a sending unit issue, wiring issue or bad gauge.
If it is a mechanical gauge, then verify the gauge is functioning correctly.
If the gauge is working correctly, then you have an issue in the charge air system that needs to be diagnosed, because the boost pressure should remain steady at a given rpm/work load/throttle position.
Based on what you're describing, it sounds like something on the intake tract, under pressure is opening and once the pressure is relieved slightly closing, and repeating this cycle rapidly and the gauge is showing it. If this is actually happening, you should hear audible air leak pulses from under the hood if you roll your window down. If it is a mechanical gauge, inspect the gauge signal hose closely.
Maybe violent isn’t the right word. It just vibrates so fast you can’t hardly see it but it’s like only moving less than a psi. Engine sounds smooth. No air leaking. Uniliever has told us what’s up. Thanks. Uniliever has a lot of patience. I’ve tested it.
replyreply
(03-08-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 )Joesixpack Wrote:  "Hypermiling". Is that like in Star Trek when they bend space and time to get from A to B? LOL! Some of the mileage claims on here seem as realistic as Star Trek!

Ya, its the well know episode where Rawze bends a single gallon of Diesel to travel the entire universe and still has a drop or 2 left after the endeavor. All the while never gets any where close to light speed.

BAHAAHAA, love it! I'm gonna search for that episode on netflix tonight :-)

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
03-10-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge and hypermiling theory ) 
(03-09-2018 )Magard Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 )Magard Wrote:  My needle is violent under hard load. Thought that was just normal. Is it of major concern.
Maybe violent isn’t the right word. It just vibrates so fast you can’t hardly see it but it’s like only moving less than a psi. Engine sounds smooth. No air leaking. Uniliever has told us what’s up. Thanks. Uniliever has a lot of patience. I’ve tested it.

Would you mind sharing with the rest of us what you tested in your situation? And how you did it? Maybe it will help other people figure out if they're gauge is doing what yours did and why.
I see Unilevers said your truck is cranked up way high in HP for a small CPL engine. Which is causing it. But how do you expose that this is the exact reason for it making your needle do that and not something else?
replyreply
03-10-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge and hypermiling theory ) 
I installed my boost gauge when my truck was still new. My boost gauge has always had a bounce/vibration above about 33~ or so PSI since the day I installed it. it happens when I demand a lot of torque below 1500 rpm. I just let off the throttle a bit and it goes away.

It is caused by cavitation at the intake and it is quite normal on several different model trucks.

Demanding a lot of torque at lower RPM's is what usually sets cavitation in motion.

A factory boost gauge will hide this fact. Some brands of after-market gauges will hide this too.

It is just another reason not to demand such high torque at lower rpm's. If you need that much power, you should be in a higher rpm range for improved engine longevity any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Waterloo , Wiseman , Chamberpains , dhirocz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.