Boost gauge and hypermiling theory
03-08-2018, (Subject: Boost gauge and hypermiling theory ) 
Boost gauge and hypermiling theory
So I noticed when dropping out of the mountains, the boost gauge starts to flutter when you start to lug the engine...I either drop another gear, lift on the fuel pedal, or both, whichever is appropriate.
I noticed I get far better mileage if I run the engine with both minimal boost and keeping the needle from fluttering. It makes almost no blowby, runs quieter, and gets better mileage.
I'm thinking when it starts to flutter, it's pushing more boost into the cylinder than it can ingest at that speed...the piston comes back up, and some of the boost is pushed back out the valve before it closes, causing the flutter in the gauge. That explains why either lowering the boost or downshifting makes the flutter go away.
I can visualize that pneumatic spring action in the cylinder causing the engine to work against itself and cause liner and other issues over time. Is anyone following me on this? Am I on the right track here? I figured the better I can read the gauge, the better off I'll be when trying to save on fuel...

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Boost gauge and hypermiling theory - dhirocz - 03-08-2018
RE: Boost gauge and hypermiling theory - Unilevers - 03-09-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.