Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine :-(
03-14-2018, (Subject: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine :-( ) 
Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine :-(
2009 Freightliner Columbia, Mercedes MBE 4000 460 engine... head gasket blown on one of the cylinders... The rear cylinder... Gas and water just blows out the side of the engine...

Just 330k miles on the truck... sad sad sad...

OK... Sadness aside... What are my options? It does not seem like a DIY job is possible. Realistically, is it better to go to a dealer, to a independent shop, or just to part out this truck and buy another truck? I buy stuff on auctions and can probably get a decent deal on another truck.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. Thanks a lot
replyreply
03-15-2018, (Subject: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine :-( ) 
RE: Blown EGR cooler on a Mercedes MBE 4000 engine :-(
Mr. Hags or gearheads shop comes to mind. Dealer is gong to rape you.

The question should be the consideration of wanting to put money into the vehicle or not. If you like the vehicle then it is not a bad investment, otherwise if there is no loyalty to it,.. maybe trade it in on another auction and gamble on the next one?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov
I have rarely heard any one talk good about Mercedes engines. If it was me and I was looking at an Inframe anyways I’d buy a Prostar or similar truck for 8-10k and have Mr Hagg Inframe it. Most likely that Mercedes will need an Inframe if the liner dropped. Either way 65% of your labor is in pulling the head.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov
Thanks. I have no loyalty to this truck. I am extremely loyal to my 2000 Freightliner FLD however. I drive that FLD much more and feel much more cozy in the cab. Plus no emissions whatsoever.

Anyway, I will have someone stop by who did head gasket repair on my friend's friend's Mercedes MBE engine. The friend said that after that guy's repair, the truck lasted 5 more years.

What kind of money should I be looking at if I pay a private shop to do it?

Maybe I will buy a different truck such as Ironplanet item 1189989 or some such. Detroit series 60, no EGR etc.

I think that the value of a partout of this Columbia truck will be close to what I paid for it.

Thanks a lot guys.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.