Fuel Mileage Bonus Round
06-04-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
RE: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round
(06-03-2021 )W9L Wrote:  I know exactly the wind you speak of sir. Running west to west Ks or east Co loaded and back east to Mo empty 4.6 is a good day if that makes you feel any better.

5.0 is my avg. I'm loaded to 78k - to as much as 85k into CO and generally empty coming back, sometimes a car/truck or two. Depending on the wind conditions I could be in the 3's going and as much as 6 or 7 back.

Being a car hauler air dynamics is a pipe dream, unless you pull enclosed of course, but then you're way limited on exactly what and how much can be carried due to physical restraints. As I said though, I love what I do and I accept the MPG. I have one customer that I've been hauling for, for the last 18 months and it's a good situation that I hope will continue.
replyreply
North on i-29 today with a million PVC parachutes behind me starting about 14 ft behind the cab and a t680 cm2350 tuned floating between 8 and 8.5 according to the weather I have a 12 mile an hour tailwind but I also have an injector issue where when the fuel pressure gets up I start getting a skip

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kw9006nz
(06-04-2021 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  North on i-29 today with a million PVC parachutes behind me starting about 14 ft behind the cab and a t680 cm2350 tuned floating between 8 and 8.5 according to the weather I have a 12 mile an hour tailwind but I also have an injector issue where when the fuel pressure gets up I start getting a skip

I'll be to i-29 and headed north in 3 hr hopefully that tail wind is still there lol
replyreply
My route is council bluffs to Sioux falls then i-90 over to the house so far about 40 miles south of Sioux falls still got the tailwind

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Sorry, I am not trying to promote any agenda. I don't exactly understand the manufactured wall of lies/ one blow comment. I don't see where anyone questioned statement, 6nz. I merely commented that it was impressive. And I did not mean that sarcastically. You said "cattle trailer" and so I thought this was common ground between us and sparked my attention . I am 52 and been hauling cattle since I was 19 and seek to learn from others on a daily basis. Although I have never hauled pigs I know plenty that have. They ride different. 52k of pigs on a two deck trailer have little room move around like 52k of 1000lb calves. Cows and large calves pull harder than most anything pound for pound when loaded anywhere near legal weight because they have do much room to move about. Transferring weight from one corner to the other is constantly changing the final geometry of the suspension and causing minor changes in alignment especially on trailer and magnified if it is a spread. This can substantially affect rolling resistance and therefore mpg. Also requires constant minor corrections in steering to stay in your lane. 6nz, I only meant to praise your achievement. I know alot of small fleet owners and drivers in the cattle biz and yes fuel is one of several expenses we deal with and I know of no one with a 6.5+ rolling average pulling a pot hauling cattle. Very, very few exceed 5.5. Take the same tractors and put them on a van or whatever and operate them sensibly in that environment and 6.5-7 is likely achievable.
replyreply
W9L the manufactured lies are lies I have created in my own head holding myself back mentally and putting my own thoughts hopes dreams and ideas down because of my past. The positive affirmations from you and everyone here have taken those walls down and my mind is reeling with a wonderful sense of assurance that even people with complete opposite views on trucks can come together and support one another. So with that said yes pigs ride way better than cattle that's a fact also the past 3 days have been miraculous days for mpgs. And I'm only running 58-60 mph and only grossing 50k.....baby pigs weigh 9lbs and I have 1227 on today. I was mainly stating a cattle trailer to give a better idea of the aero loss added by these trailers. I am stubbornly hard to offend I've lost too many years being mad its way easier to be happy
replyreply
Amen. I understand now. And as a reference to aerodynamics of trailer, gotcha. Day in, day out, the lousy aerodynimcs of mos any livestock trailer, pot, floor trailer, or whatever are the hardest factor to overcome. Roughly 60% of the time we battle crosswinds that even empty and a being somewhat of a tailwind can create a net negative effect simply because it is pushing on the side of trailer and causing the trailer to not track with the truck-not to mention the friction created by all of the holes in a punch side trailer. I have been considering a lift on one of the trailer axles for running empty with thoughts of better mpg and reduced tire wear?
replyreply
(06-04-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Amen. I understand now. And as a reference to aerodynamics of trailer, gotcha. Day in, day out, the lousy aerodynimcs of mos any livestock trailer, pot, floor trailer, or whatever are the hardest factor to overcome. Roughly 60% of the time we battle crosswinds that even empty and a being somewhat of a tailwind can create a net negative effect simply because it is pushing on the side of trailer and causing the trailer to not track with the truck-not to mention the friction created by all of the holes in a punch side trailer. I have been considering a lift on one of the trailer axles for running empty with thoughts of better mpg and reduced tire wear?
I have a spread axle 53 flatbed and I deadhead a good bit. I know for me It makes a difference picking up the front axle. I just have to watch because my tractor is stretched and it takes a wider swing with the axle up. I don't have a lift on mine, I do it by hand for say. I dump the bags and shut off the air to the front bags with a valve I installed. I then put a short chain and binder in the center and chain it up. When I air the bags up it lifts the front off the ground. Takes five minutes and I have been Dotted with it up with no problems.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kw9006nz
As to the square trucks, it is the norm for cattle trucks in our region. TRUE aero trucks like the megas' use are constructed to be light and somewhat disposable. The places we load here in the Ozarks often require miles of dirt and gravel roads, creek crossings, overhanging limbs, mud that requires the tractor to be towed to the pavement by large farm tractors, etc. The ground effects and fairings of the mega type trucks don't fair well in such conditions. I don't think people realize how specialized this line of work is. While some megas dabble in the pork side of livestock transport their attempts at breaking into the cattle side have been very limited. Speedway Livestock Transport of the early 90's comes to mind. There is truly a driver shortage in this industry. Hard to find enough farm boys willing to face off with the cattle in confined spaces. The drivers and the equipment the equipment they show up in are somewhat representative of the buyer/shipper and they know it and they are paying the freight. I have little interest in true show trucks. Any clean well maintained truck, trailer and driver impress me much more. Maybe not such an issue with more modern trucks but many of the early aero trucks lacked enough cooling capacity to survive in this biz. Heating results in higher duty cycle of fan. Combine that with the under hood air intake resulting in high iat and some of the many benefits of the aero are lessened. Rawze, I must reiterate my respect for your knowledge and research in the science involved with trucks and trucking. And I have learned alot by reading your posts and articles. You have changed my mind about many things and made me think about things such as Lucas and vgt 's from a different perspective. I take your hatred of many of your members , including mine, personal. The EPA is a far bigger enemy of new owner operators and a big friend of the megas and the ATA than the aerodynamics or lack thereof, of a specific group of peoples trucks. Domestic oil has provided many high paying jobs in North America off and on for years. -uncluding trucking. We had became very energy independant in the US which calmed much global unrest as it relates to big oil. Yes, I am pissed too, but it is more aimed at the overreach of government than big oil. I come here , in part, to get my mind off of that crap. The demands of different trucking vocations varies wildly. But the limits mechanics and physics do not. I am sure my equipment would not perform efficiently in your industry and I doubt if yours would in my world. Nevertheless, I seek to learn and exchange knowledge. Can we please just get along? Thank you for your time.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kw9006nz , schISM

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.