Fuel Mileage Bonus Round
06-04-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
RE: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round
Edit, I meant hatred of our equipment. Sorry
replyreply
(06-04-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(06-04-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Amen. I understand now. And as a reference to aerodynamics of trailer, gotcha. Day in, day out, the lousy aerodynimcs of mos any livestock trailer, pot, floor trailer, or whatever are the hardest factor to overcome. Roughly 60% of the time we battle crosswinds that even empty and a being somewhat of a tailwind can create a net negative effect simply because it is pushing on the side of trailer and causing the trailer to not track with the truck-not to mention the friction created by all of the holes in a punch side trailer. I have been considering a lift on one of the trailer axles for running empty with thoughts of better mpg and reduced tire wear?
I have a spread axle 53 flatbed and I deadhead a good bit. I know for me It makes a difference picking up the front axle. I just have to watch because my tractor is stretched and it takes a wider swing with the axle up. I don't have a lift on mine, I do it by hand for say. I dump the bags and shut off the air to the front bags with a valve I installed. I then put a short chain and binder in the center and chain it up. When I air the bags up it lifts the front off the ground. Takes five minutes and I have been Dotted with it up with no problems.

I've seen a few pots with lift fixed lift on tri axles always wondered if the ride would be improved ad well as mpg
replyreply
(06-04-2021 )Kw9006nz Wrote:  
(06-04-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  
(06-04-2021 )W9L Wrote:  Amen. I understand now. And as a reference to aerodynamics of trailer, gotcha. Day in, day out, the lousy aerodynimcs of mos any livestock trailer, pot, floor trailer, or whatever are the hardest factor to overcome. Roughly 60% of the time we battle crosswinds that even empty and a being somewhat of a tailwind can create a net negative effect simply because it is pushing on the side of trailer and causing the trailer to not track with the truck-not to mention the friction created by all of the holes in a punch side trailer. I have been considering a lift on one of the trailer axles for running empty with thoughts of better mpg and reduced tire wear?
I have a spread axle 53 flatbed and I deadhead a good bit. I know for me It makes a difference picking up the front axle. I just have to watch because my tractor is stretched and it takes a wider swing with the axle up. I don't have a lift on mine, I do it by hand for say. I dump the bags and shut off the air to the front bags with a valve I installed. I then put a short chain and binder in the center and chain it up. When I air the bags up it lifts the front off the ground. Takes five minutes and I have been Dotted with it up with no problems.

I've seen a few pots with lift fixed lift on tri axles always wondered if the ride would be improved ad well as mpg
My spread is a little smoother with the front axle up. Is your trailer a closed tandem. I see a really lot of fuel tankers with closed tandems with one axle up. I saw one the other day with the back axle up on a closed tandem. If you could lift the back one it would be better for you having that set forward axle that already takes a football field to turn around.
replyreply
06-05-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
Ya just the idea of lifting the back on a close tandem makes more sense to me. Unfortunately the trailers I pull aren't mine, so I run what they have and now smile a little wider knowing our fuel surcharge is based on 5.5 mpg, and with luck and diligently watching the boost gauge this tank will be 7+. I've never been able to say this on a weekend but I guess I'll find out my efficiency on Monday afternoon cuz she's doing so good
replyreply
06-05-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
(06-05-2021 )Kw9006nz Wrote:  Ya just the idea of lifting the back on a close tandem makes more sense to me. Unfortunately the trailers I pull aren't mine, so I run what they have and now smile a little wider knowing our fuel surcharge is based on 5.5 mpg, and with luck and diligently watching the boost gauge this tank will be 7+. I've never been able to say this on a weekend but I guess I'll find out my efficiency on Monday afternoon cuz she's doing so good
The trailer you pull, is it air ride? If it is you can put a valve on the supply line of the axle you want to lift and just chain it up. Just can't be the axle with the leveling valve. I did it on company trailers for years before I bought mine. It sounds like you deadhead a lot so I think it would be worth trying.
replyreply
06-07-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
So if I only pulled 1 trailer I hear you all day, but because I'm not sitting around to watch a trailer get washed out and not get paid for it. The company I pull for has 40 trailers clean ready to rip tator chip, so it's a drop and hook livestock deal....I'm not outfitting 40 trailers lol but I did fuel up just a few minutes ago and I'm please to report 7.39 mpg on that fill. That is a solid 2 mpg over my last 7 quarters of ifta. Couldn't have been woken up to it if not for rawze and all you guys thank you so much again

This is the "lil sis" out here making me more money

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202106/post_5579_1623116049_81c078e3b61e64aa7820d4835e33af76.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Rawze , Waterloo
12-14-2021, (Subject: Fuel Mileage Bonus Round ) 
Is there any actual accurate data on fuel mileage difference between a brick truck and aero? I wonder what the difference would be if Rawze would drive a 379 with exact same equipment as what he has in the International... Seems most drivers who have an ego fed by the looks of their large car also have more aggressive driving habits, which makes it look like all the brick trucks are fuel hogs...
replyreply
I had a 2008 9900 international with a 871 , then I bought a 4900 2012 western star with the 2250 in it . There was at least a 1/2 to 3/4 of a difference. I would say that it was probably 50 the newer motor and 50 percent the truck . I do know that if anybody told me that my 9900 was a areo truck before I would have called them a liar.

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
(12-14-2021 )eggtrucks Wrote:  Is there any actual accurate data on fuel mileage difference between a brick truck and aero? I wonder what the difference would be if Rawze would drive a 379 with exact same equipment as what he has in the International... Seems most drivers who have an ego fed by the looks of their large car also have more aggressive driving habits, which makes it look like all the brick trucks are fuel hogs...

there are people who hyper-mile with their square noses.. they are lucky to get about mid-7's mpg under the same exact conditions that I am breaking 9 mpg+ on. This has been see time and again.

there is even a youtuber-blogger that used to have a CM2250 and an aero truck.. he consistently got every bit of 9+ mpg fully loaded, on paper to the gallons/miles like I do.. He traded it in for a square nose pete.. spec'd for best fuel efficiency.. and went down to the high 6's and he struggled for months to get it up into the low 7's.. and has regretted it ever since.

That is several thousands of dollars a year right out of the stacks.. no amount of resale value on a truck like that will ever make up for the fuel mileage losses alone.. they just are not worth having any more unless you have a specific need for that pig-nosed front end (super-heavy haul.. off-road, etc).. aside form that.. you are putting on lead shoes for a marathon, and then wondering why everyone around you is out-pacing you all the time in profits.

Those square nose trucks are fuel pigs, flat out. .. How about if you doubt it.. I give you a 4x8 sheet of ply-wood to hold up flat against the wind while standing in the back of my pick-up truck and see how fast that I go before it knocks you backwards... That is what your pushing down the roads with those things.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.