Power Steering "Groaning"
03-16-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
Power Steering "Groaning"
2013 Cascadia
When I first start up for the day, my power steering system has this groaning noise. It goes away after about five minutes. Changed fluid and filter about 4 months ago, also grease front end about every 7000 miles. Any ideas? Anybody else had this issue?

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dtlfueltech
RE: Power Steering "Groaning"
What type of fluid did you use?

Maybe start by replacing the filter again. After that, it could be the pump going out on you.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bossboy2
I'm assuming it groans when you turn the wheel? Can you explain more?

I put a seal kit in my pump, replaced the fluid, hoses and pump recently. Made quite a difference and cost me maybe $100. I made sure to use what the power steering manufacturer recommends, which in my case is ATF.

It will probably groan to a certain extent when you turn the wheels sitting still since it has to work hardest.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
03-17-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
(03-16-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  What type of fluid did you use?

Maybe start by replacing the filter again. After that, it could be the pump going out on you.

I used ATF as recommended by Freightliner. Probably going to do as you suggest and replace the filter again as well as the fluid.

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
03-21-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
You might try turning the wheel lock to lock and hold it on each side for a couple seconds.. If you got air in the system when you did the service a few months ago it might cause the ugly noise. I learned this many years ago when I was a young fellow.. Seems to get the trapped air out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rounded_nut , bossboy2 , dhirocz , Doublecoin , Toolguy
04-12-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
(03-21-2018 )MCRENT Wrote:  You might try turning the wheel lock to lock and hold it on each side for a couple seconds.. If you got air in the system when you did the service a few months ago it might cause the ugly noise. I learned this many years ago when I was a young fellow.. Seems to get the trapped air out.

Thanks Mcrent. Can you be a little more specific? Are you talking about sort of bleeding the system?

replyreply
04-12-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
Yes that is how you bleed the system. Wheels off ground, top off, turn lock to lock with the engine off, top off until full. Start engine, repeat. Then down on the ground, repeat. Drive a few miles, top off. Should be good then. Always did it that way, never had an issue. Starting the engine with a dry pump is bad on the seals.

If you reseal the pump, drain and refill the fluid again (to flush it out), raise the steer axle off the ground, and bleed it with fresh fluid and a filter and it still groans, the only other thing I can think of is the gearbox. How many miles, and how bad of a groan are we talking about? Some minor groaning at idle while parked is to be expected as the pump and box are under the most strain under those conditions if you are turning the wheel. Also, you'll get additional noise if you turn to lock and hold it against the stops (BIG no-no!)

I didn't go after vehicle manufacturer recommendations, I followed the box and pump manufacturers instructions. I'm my case, TRW. They also specified for me I use dextron III ATF, which is exactly what I used. All ATF is NOT the same!

Keep in mind that in alot of places, companies use engine oil, gear oil, etc in the power steering as well...if it wasn't always your truck you might have other stuff mixed in there as well.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bossboy2 , Toolguy
04-19-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
(04-12-2018 )bossboy2 Wrote:  
(03-21-2018 )MCRENT Wrote:  You might try turning the wheel lock to lock and hold it on each side for a couple seconds.. If you got air in the system when you did the service a few months ago it might cause the ugly noise. I learned this many years ago when I was a young fellow.. Seems to get the trapped air out.

Thanks Mcrent. Can you be a little more specific? Are you talking about sort of bleeding the system?

Sorry for late reply did not see your question. I have the engine running and turn the wheel as far left as possible hitting the stops and letting it sit against the stops for a few seconds( the growling noise will change a bit to a higher pitch) then turn all the way to the right and repeat. Then do again to the left if necessary. I had to do this when I change the fluid and filter in my 2013 Peterbilt. Has not made a peep since. My feeling on this is when you turn all the way to the stops it purges any air out of the system. I could be wrong but it has worked on several cars in my younger days and also on my Pete recently.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bossboy2 , Doublecoin
04-19-2018, (Subject: Power Steering "Groaning" ) 
(04-19-2018 )MCRENT Wrote:  ...
Sorry for late reply did not see your question. I have the engine running and turn the wheel as far left as possible hitting the stops and letting it sit against the stops for a few seconds( the growling noise will change a bit to a higher pitch) then turn all the way to the right and repeat. Then do again to the left if necessary. I had to do this when I change the fluid and filter in my 2013 Peterbilt. Has not made a peep since. My feeling on this is when you turn all the way to the stops it purges any air out of the system. I could be wrong but it has worked on several cars in my younger days and also on my Pete recently.

I have always done it this same way. I don't bother to jack it up in the air though, I just roll the truck slowly backward and turn gently till ts purged.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: MCRENT , bossboy2 , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.