Ecm wiring harness
03-18-2018, (Subject: Ecm wiring harness ) 
Ecm wiring harness
Had truck(2013 cascadia w/ cummins) taken into dealer for diag. Was throwing codes, i ran through list changing parts etc to no avail. When I'm out of options or ideas ill take in for diag, and go buy parts and do work myself as much as possible. Anyhow they come up with ecm harness which is $800 at cummins. If they were to put this harness on at truck country they want $1400 which isnt happening. A couple questions. Anyone changed this out before? Any ideas? Harness has about 15 connections. Any videos for something like this? I couldn't find anu. Thanks
replyreply
RE: Ecm wiring harness
Well, I just was working around mine, CM-871, replacing the compressor and just tiding up that side of the motor. Honestly, I don't think it would be that difficult a job, just a PIA getting to all of the plugs and sensors. I am sure a small amount of wrenching will be involved, but nothing major that I could really see. Pretty much plug and play and a couple different sizes of zip ties.
replyreply
I get it. I mean unplug 1 sensor, plug into same on new harness. How can they charge 1400 for that? Labor is like 140/hr, that puts it at a 8 or 9 hours. No way.
replyreply
I don't know which harness your referring too. There are 2 ECM harnesses, the one on the body side and the one on the engine side.

The engine side one is cats ass to do as it's just clip and unclip, some wires may run down to the starter...... I cannot remember.

The body side may be more difficult but I'm not sure either. On my prostar I bought a new headlight harness and have had it a year now because you have to individually pin a bunch of the wires as they share a firewall connector with other components..... Was easier to repair the wires for me and worry about it later.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-18-2018 )Jamescj212 Wrote:  I get it. I mean unplug 1 sensor, plug into same on new harness. How can they charge 1400 for that? Labor is like 140/hr, that puts it at a 8 or 9 hours. No way.

Yep, I would think. But, if you did have to pin up lines, that can be a real PIA, but they have tools for that that make it easier. I have done it on a few different occasions on my ProStar, pinning up wires to different connectors and the fuse block. But an entire new engine harness, as that is what I assumed you are speaking of I would not think any pinning would be needed as the connectors should be in place to plug in. Now like Brock said, the body side, that may be an entirely different animal. But, seeing how these shops operate now a days, I would be hesitant to trust them and I would do it myself.
replyreply
When my rear driveshaft failed and it ripped the guts out of my frame (wiring, air lines, everything), just the one wiring harness form the back of the cab to the tail lights/abs was more than $1000 on my prostar when I priced it.

-- I cut out all their plugs and changed them over to standard automotive plugs and made my own wiring harnesses after that... Screw them and their over-priced garbage and proprietary plugs.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bruce_Sloane

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.