Algea?
03-20-2018, (Subject: Algea? ) 
RE: Algea?
I'm confused by this thread. That picture looks like the fuel is gelled up. I've been driving for 18 years now and haven't seen any bad fuel that causes this. I'm curious what the temperature was when this occurred. How much antigel did you have in your tanks? I am in no way an expert on diesel fuel. I'm just not sure the fuel was bad and maybe the place you bought it from was right.
replyreply
Any gelled fuel I've ever seen was yellow. That looks very white, that's why I said looks like ice
replyreply
(03-20-2018 )aaronb Wrote:  I'm confused by this thread. That picture looks like the fuel is gelled up. I've been driving for 18 years now and haven't seen any bad fuel that causes this. I'm curious what the temperature was when this occurred. How much antigel did you have in your tanks? I am in no way an expert on diesel fuel. I'm just not sure the fuel was bad and maybe the place you bought it from was right.
Sometime truck stop owner don't even know what they have for sale.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r...?4,4091779
replyreply
It looked like an excess of parafin to me too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-21-2018, (Subject: Algea? ) 
Not gelled, it was around 50 degrees out, yeah rawze that's what I thought too. Here's a picture of the fuel in the tank just before draining.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
That is definately fuel algae.. or mold or bacteria whatever the hell they call it. The bacteria growth looks like clear slime or sludge. It usually turns black also which is a type of mold.

Are the walls in his fuel tank black with the mold growth

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
(03-21-2018 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  Not gelled, it was around 50 degrees out, yeah rawze that's what I thought too. Here's a picture of the fuel in the tank just before draining.

looks like someone added cooking oil to the tanks. - Cooking oil is not a very good fuel for a bigger diesel engine.

Rawze Wrote:Vegetable oil, also referred as VSO (Straight Vegetable Oil), when added to, or used as diesel fuel, has very similar qualities and efficiency, but, like other additives, there is a problem with it. It leaves a higher content of carbon buildup on all the engine components, resulting in excess wear long term. It also seems to not have any benifit to lubricating the fuel system components, and can attack and destroy seals over time. Vegitable oil also has a much higher viscosity than diesel. This means that it will spray into the cylinders with bigger droplets and tends to cause a higher rate of 'coking' (gumming up) the piston rings over time, reducing the oil's effects of lubricating them. Not very good for putting in your truck if you ask me.

(reference) - http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=112

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
No buildup or residue at all.

I came across a similar thing about the veg oil, they had b20 and I'm wondering if they don't agitate the tanks to keep it in suspension?
replyreply
(03-21-2018 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  No buildup or residue at all.

I came across a similar thing about the veg oil, they had b20 and I'm wondering if they don't agitate the tanks to keep it in suspension?
My local fuel cooker guy says it looks like soap emulsion. http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/blog/...ring-them/
Pointed good place to order bacteria test kit. http://www.dieselfueltestkit.com/ft-bug-...a-testing/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rounded_nut , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.