coolant disappearing
03-19-2018, (Subject: coolant disappearing ) 
coolant disappearing
i took my 2011 prostar to the local international dealer i wont say which rush dealer in charlotte it was though. i have coolant leaking thru the egr system,(about a gallon a day) he pulled the pipe from the left side off to show me coolant from the crossover to the egr low side cooler was leaking <-- (i think thats how he described it) anyway he said the whole egr system is bad and to repair it it would cost me 8500.00 dollars and a week of down time. what i'm asking is,is there anyway to tell if they are full of sh*t ? they just replaced the lower egr cooler to the tune of 14 hun a lil over a year ago and now he says its bad and not an uncommon occurrence for them to go bad, more BS if i'm any judge. anyway thanks for reading, they didn't do a pressure test they just showed me dripping coolant inside this pipe and said its egr fail..any ideas would be much appreciated
replyreply
RE: coolant disappearing
We recently had a truck losing coolant and found a coolant leaking into the exhaust in the after treatment system. I want to say it was at the def doser. It’s probably not hard to check. We found it by accident. We also found this while we were in there. No codes or check engine lights.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: bobbywaite
(03-19-2018 )bobbywaite Wrote:  i took my 2011 prostar to the local international dealer i wont say which rush dealer in charlotte it was though. i have coolant leaking thru the egr system,(about a gallon a day) he pulled the pipe from the left side off to show me coolant from the crossover to the egr low side cooler was leaking <-- (i think thats how he described it) anyway he said the whole egr system is bad and to repair it it would cost me 8500.00 dollars and a week of down time. what i'm asking is,is there anyway to tell if they are full of sh*t ? they just replaced the lower egr cooler to the tune of 14 hun a lil over a year ago and now he says its bad and not an uncommon occurrence for them to go bad, more BS if i'm any judge. anyway thanks for reading, they didn't do a pressure test they just showed me dripping coolant inside this pipe and said its egr fail..any ideas would be much appreciated

You are in Charlotte NC, and 285 miles from Griffin GA. Call Mr Haggai and make an appointment. He opens at 8am. He will take care of this issue for far far less. And you will never have these emissions issues again. ;-)

Haggai Automotive and Diesel Repair
1228 High Falls Rd,
Griffin, GA 30223
Phone: (678) 688-8107

https://www.facebook.com/HaggaiAutomotive/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: serv , hhow55 , bobbywaite
If you have a Davco filter housing check it too coolant could be easily going with the fuel!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bobbywaite
03-20-2018, (Subject: coolant disappearing ) 
(03-19-2018 )serv Wrote:  We recently had a truck losing coolant and found a coolant leaking into the exhaust in the after treatment system. I want to say it was at the def doser. It’s probably not hard to check. We found it by accident. We also found this while we were in there. No codes or check engine lights.
This is not a coolant. This is DEF drying before decomposition tube what they call "volcano"
Coolant will be brown/reddish in color.
Cummins has procedure for cleaning. If DPF/SCR soaked with coolant it need to replaced or mr Haggai is savior.
./uploads/201803/post_1794_1521522819_394c410dbaae353d1d60382bed12ea38.png
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Wiseman , Mrkentee
03-20-2018, (Subject: coolant disappearing ) 
(03-20-2018 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 )serv Wrote:  We recently had a truck losing coolant and found a coolant leaking into the exhaust in the after treatment system. I want to say it was at the def doser. It’s probably not hard to check. We found it by accident. We also found this while we were in there. No codes or check engine lights.
This is not a coolant. This is DEF drying before decomposition tube what they call "volcano"
Coolant will be brown/reddish in color.
Cummins has procedure for cleaning. If DPF/SCR soaked with coolant it need to replaced or mr Haggai is savior.

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t trying to say the white buildup was coolant. Maybe you misunderstood me? We just found that while in there in addition to a coolant leak. We actually found the def buildup while prepping this truck for off-road trim a couple of weeks ago. Runs much better now. Dpf and scr are modified now.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
03-21-2018, (Subject: coolant disappearing ) 
(03-19-2018 )bobbywaite Wrote:  i took my 2011 prostar to the local international dealer i wont say which rush dealer in charlotte it was though. i have coolant leaking thru the egr system,(about a gallon a day) he pulled the pipe from the left side off to show me coolant from the crossover to the egr low side cooler was leaking <-- (i think thats how he described it) anyway he said the whole egr system is bad and to repair it it would cost me 8500.00 dollars and a week of down time. what i'm asking is,is there anyway to tell if they are full of sh*t ? they just replaced the lower egr cooler to the tune of 14 hun a lil over a year ago and now he says its bad and not an uncommon occurrence for them to go bad, more BS if i'm any judge. anyway thanks for reading, they didn't do a pressure test they just showed me dripping coolant inside this pipe and said its egr fail..any ideas would be much appreciated

sounds to me theyre telling the truth about the leak source but like all dealers they charge about 120-150 /hr including the time they spend at home, on lunch, on the crapper and on vacation plus a ridiculous amount for crap parts that are gonna fail again. Do urself a favor and quit visiting stealershits then go see mr hagg and let him give u a permanent fix for the governments ongoing diesel engine sales scheme. Or is it a failed environmental experiment? Hmmm. Either way, its my understanding he can achieve passing emissions without the bs. Go spend ur $ on something that lasts and get them wheels turning.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Volvo8873
(03-21-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  

sounds to me theyre telling the truth about the leak source but like all dealers they charge about 120-150 /hr including the time they spend at home, on lunch, on the crapper and on vacation plus a ridiculous amount for crap parts that are gonna fail again. Do urself a favor and quit visiting stealershits then go see mr hagg and let him give u a permanent fix for the governments ongoing diesel engine sales scheme. Or is it a failed environmental experiment? Hmmm. Either way, its my understanding he can achieve passing emissions without the bs. Go spend ur $ on something that lasts and get them wheels turning.

You also forgot the stealershits also replace parts that don’t even need replacing!! LOL

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55 , smorgan87
Welcome to {Word Removed}. You’ve come at the perfect time. Get rid of that nuisance, and save yourself further headaches.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.