Exhaust Gascket leaks
03-20-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
Exhaust Gascket leaks
The last cylinder toward firewall exhaust leaks
Is that possible that I just loosen the bolts for that cylinder to replace it or I have to take the entire manifold?
Recently the Turbo screams when I push the throttle. Is there any relation between the Turbo and exhuast leak?[/b]
replyreply
03-20-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
RE: Exhaust Gascket leaks
Well, I would say the scream is from the exhaust leak. Just wondering how and or why that bolt is lose? I guess you could tighten the bolt up, and see if it stays. Myself, I would be wondering about the exhaust manifold gasket.
replyreply
03-22-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
Once they start leaking better replace all of them to be on the safe side
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
You'll have to let us know if you try just taking the bolts out of that back cylinder and slide in the gasket behind the manifold works? I have the slip joint on my CM870 leaking and I've contemplated taking the two bolts out and see if I pull that joint apart without pulling any of the other exhaust manifold bolts or the turbo. It would be quite nice if I could actually do that. Other than that I think the job can wait till the turbo needs changed or I find a better reason to pull the whole thing apart. Everything else is good on it.
replyreply
(03-22-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You'll have to let us know if you try just taking the bolts out of that back cylinder and slide in the gasket behind the manifold works? I have the slip joint on my CM870 leaking and I've contemplated taking the two bolts out and see if I pull that joint apart without pulling any of the other exhaust manifold bolts or the turbo. It would be quite nice if I could actually do that. Other than that I think the job can wait till the turbo needs changed or I find a better reason to pull the whole thing apart. Everything else is good on it.

I hate to break it to ya...but you're dreaming!
Even with the manifold clamped to the workbench, separating the end sections is a bitch!
If the manifold has been on for any length of time, there is NO movement in the joint seals...unless they're compromised.
Sorry.

To the OP, Sorry to you as well, but you're going to have to pull the manifold to have any hope of success of not causing more or worse problems. If the turbo to manifold gasket IS NOT leaking, you can pull the mani and turbo as one and change the gaskets.
Once again, if it has been any considerable length of time since it's been off, pull the turbo and change the manifold seals as well all at once. The seals are what seals the two end sections to the center piece. I know it's a royal pain in the @$$, but if you don't you'll hate yourself if you have to 6 months from now because you've developed a leak you could have prevented in the first place...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , hhow55 , Waterloo
03-23-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
Thanks Hammer,
You probably saved me an hr or 2 of futility when I would've tried to pull it apart this way. With the mandate jewelry removed and the dog box off, I can clearly stare right at the Joint going tick tick tick. It's so tempting to give it a try. I still might when the time comes, just to see if I'm the chosen one with the stars and planets aligned.
But it's gonna wait for better, warmer weather. I've been at it like Waterloo for 2 weeks fixing everything the right way. Except he has that fancy shmancy shop built around the hood of his truck. I have half of a tree overhead and my pickup truck blocking a little of the wind and snow.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
03-23-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
(03-23-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Thanks Hammer,
You probably saved me an hr or 2 of futility when I would've tried to pull it apart this way. With the mandate jewelry removed and the dog box off, I can clearly stare right at the Joint going tick tick tick. It's so tempting to give it a try. I still might when the time comes, just to see if I'm the chosen one with the stars and planets aligned.
But it's gonna wait for better, warmer weather. I've been at it like Waterloo for 2 weeks fixing everything the right way. Except he has that fancy shmancy shop built around the hood of his truck. I have half of a tree overhead and my pickup truck blocking a little of the wind and snow.

Best of luck, I'm the punching bag for the stars and the planets...
On the environmental issue, I understand. Like I've said before, "I've never laid in the snow, wet, and cold fixing things..."

Damn liar!!!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
03-25-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
the gasket for that cylinder was bad. both my new problem is that the exhaust manifold bolt for the fifth cylinder broke inside. the lower bolt. I tried to use bolt extractor. the extractor broke inside too. and you know the extractor is hardened steel and can't drill through it. anyone has had this problem and solved successfully?
replyreply
03-25-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
(03-25-2018 )alborz Wrote:  the gasket for that cylinder was bad. both my new problem is that the exhaust manifold bolt for the fifth cylinder broke inside. the lower bolt. I tried to use bolt extractor. the extractor broke inside too. and you know the extractor is hardened steel and can't drill through it. anyone has had this problem and solved successfully?

Sometimes with a really sharp punch or chisel you can break the extractor into pieces since they are so hard depend on how bad you got that damn thing stuck.. Did you try backing the extractor out with a punch?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.