Exhaust Gascket leaks
03-25-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
RE: Exhaust Gascket leaks
(03-25-2018 )alborz Wrote:  the gasket for that cylinder was bad. both my new problem is that the exhaust manifold bolt for the fifth cylinder broke inside. the lower bolt. I tried to use bolt extractor. the extractor broke inside too. and you know the extractor is hardened steel and can't drill through it. anyone has had this problem and solved successfully?

I have done this, and I have fixed it for a few others that have as well.
It's painfully slow, but it can be done.
I have a rotary tool with a long flexi shaft leading to a nice small handle that is controlled via a foot pedal, think dentists type of thing...you can also use a dremel tool.
Get a good quality, small round tipped carbide burr.
Take your time, it's NOT gonna happen fast.
Your using something extremely hard to grind something very hard, so patience is the key.
Good luck, and next time you won't be so ham fisted, because you'll know how much of a PITA extracting the broken piece will be if you don't.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
What I have found works for removing broken studs is building them up with weld. Build them up until you can either weld a nut on or turn them out with a vice grip. The best rod I found is Arctec Unicrom 265 1/16 or 3/32. If you need more info PM me.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(03-25-2018 )MCRENT Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 )alborz Wrote:  the gasket for that cylinder was bad. both my new problem is that the exhaust manifold bolt for the fifth cylinder broke inside. the lower bolt. I tried to use bolt extractor. the extractor broke inside too. and you know the extractor is hardened steel and can't drill through it. anyone has had this problem and solved successfully?

Sometimes with a really sharp punch or chisel you can break the extractor into pieces since they are so hard depend on how bad you got that damn thing stuck.. Did you try backing the extractor out with a punch?

it does not work with that. I tried to use Dremel to just grind it out but Dremel bits are so fragile and break fast
replyreply
03-26-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
You need to find an actual good quality carbide burr that will fit your dremel tool, not a bit that comes with a dremel tool.
I get mine from a machine shop supply place at home. They're about $40/ for the good ones...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alborz
03-26-2018, (Subject: Exhaust Gascket leaks ) 
(03-26-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote:  You need to find an actual good quality carbide burr that will fit your dremel tool, not a bit that comes with a dremel tool.
I get mine from a machine shop supply place at home. They're about $40/ for the good ones...

Thank you for your comments
Can you send me picture of it with its name?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.