ISX-15 pushing coolant out of reservoir tank -help-
03-23-2018, (Subject: ISX-15 pushing coolant out of reservoir tank -help- ) 
ISX-15 pushing coolant out of reservoir tank -help-
Hi ppl...

I have 2013 pete 386 with isx15. Im at 589k miles.
This trip i got low coolant light on, pulled over, checked and noticed the engine covered all in coolant.

I noticed my primary tank was half way empty and secondary coolant tank was full to the neck of the cap, so i figured the coolant is coming out from pressure cap.

I refilled it, was watching the gauge it was doing good but not for long. I was going to Ohio from CA and i took i-40 east. Lots of hills plus i was like 75k gross... i noticed every hill i climb more coolant comes out,

Started my shift end of NM and drove all day with no issues, coolant light never came on. The following day, same , no light, but i kept checking coolant and secondary tank was empty and my primary was full..

I added 1 gallon of coolant in 9 days so far. It goes away than comes back...

What should i check first? Could be my air compressor? Could be head gasket?

Never over heated my truck, and no DEF no egr no egr cooler... it could also be my spacer that been installed after the removal which ill check..

Just looking for sum feedback on how to proceed with this issue..

Thank you all in advance...
replyreply
RE: ISX-15 pushing coolant out of reservoir tank -help-
I am thinking air compressor. I just put one on my truck, sounds about what mine was doing. Good for a day or two and than back, coolant fluctuated up and down in the clear jug on my ProStar. Then would blow through the cap, remove the cap coolant would drop. That is where I would start. I picked up a reman Cummins compressor from Haldex. The compressor says reman'd in the USA on the box. Was $850 + 600 core. Yes, $600 core. I found this at FleetPride, cheapest I could find in the Detroit area. A new one from Cummins was $1900, reman from dealer was $1,200 w/$300 core.
replyreply
(03-23-2018 )Jeka711 Wrote:  ...
Never over heated my truck, and no DEF no egr no egr cooler... it could also be my spacer that been installed after the removal which ill check..

Demandated? -Who did it?. How long ago?. HP and other settings? How much boost does it make? What was done exactly?

Could be air compressor, could be leaking EGR cooler if there is still exhaust pressure in it. By your descriptions though, it could also be a dropped liner. Any case, should be easy to find.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Is there a way to check or test the compressor if its at fault? Im going tru WY right now , i stopped to fuel earlier and the engine was covered in coolant,, hills plus wind puts stress on the engine,, building pressurw but i try to keep it 30psi boost or under..

I went from 450hp to 500hp.
And max boost is around 40psi.
replyreply
(03-23-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

Demandated? -Who did it?. How long ago?. HP and other settings? How much boost does it make? What was done exactly?

Could be air compressor, could be leaking EGR cooler if there is still exhaust pressure in it. By your descriptions though, it could also be a dropped liner. Any case, should be easy to find.

Did he add that delete info after I posted? Hell, I thought I read the entire post... :-(

If it is that bad, spraying everywhere, I would say the head or a liner cut lose. No clue what they did to that motor. And it is odd for a compressor to fail at that mileage. They are normally good for 900,000 miles +.
replyreply
(03-23-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

Did he add that delete info after I posted? Hell, I thought I read the entire post... :-(

If it is that bad, spraying everywhere, I would say the head or a liner cut lose. No clue what they did to that motor. And it is odd for a compressor to fail at that mileage. They are normally good for 900,000 miles +.

Damn well i have low coolant light on and off with coolant temp at 180-185 , but everytime i stop i check coolant and let the pressure out.. only 980 miles till home i should make it...
replyreply
40 psi of boost on a 2013 is way to high. I suspect a liner has dropped.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
I suggest when you make it home, open up the rear flange behind the egr cooler. You'll be looking for coolant, or white residue. Next would be to drop the oil pan, pressure up the coolant system to 20lbs and look for coolant running down the liner's. You may need to let it set overnight before coolant will be seen. Hopefully it will be just a leaking egr cooler. When mine was spraying coolant like your's it was a bad head gasket, caused by a head bolt not properly torqued.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM
03-24-2018, (Subject: ISX-15 pushing coolant out of reservoir tank -help- ) 
my take on his post was he had no cooler. then the alarm bells started going off in my head.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.