OODO-Cleaning Out The Soot
03-24-2018, (Subject: OODO-Cleaning Out The Soot ) 
OODO-Cleaning Out The Soot
I have several pics to show Detroit DD series owners here. First, is the IMAP sensor located under a protective bracket just downstream of the throttle housing. Three 13mm bolts and the bracket is off (piece of cake). Then two 10mm bolts and that's it. I used a screwdriver to GENTLY pry on the sensor and removed it with cable attached. I was surprised, no soot buildup to speak of so I sprayed with a little carb clean and dusted it off with a fine wire brush then reinstalled.

Next I went after the EGR DeltaP sensor. You have to remove the cable to get it off so be careful. YouTube it or break it. Cleaning the sensor was no problem at all...a couple of shots of carb cleaner and a small cable tie to get in between the cracks and she was clean. The other side though was a little more involved. As you can see in one of the pictures, I used a cable tie to clean the soot out of the ports in the venturi. One side the tie went all the way through. The other side did not. I blew on it and it was plugged solid. I decided to remove the entire venturi and clean the entire thing. 3-13mm bolts on one end, a 13mm bolt on the bracket and two 13mm bolts in front of the engine and she was mine. I used a "pick set" I got from Harbor Freight to jam up inside that port hole and twisted around until all the soot was clear. I blew on it and it was free. Then took a cable tie and cleaned it the rest of the way. After that it was just a matter of replacing the venturi and the bolts, then put the bracket back on top of the IMAP sensor and it was done.
Side notes, no gaskets were needed. Also, I found it best to loosen the hose clamps on the rubber hose attaching the two sections together as it was much easier to manipulate both halves. One other side note, next time I'm probably going to use tip cleaners to cleanout the DeltaP sensor. They're much sturdier and flexible as well.
OODO Photo Images

User's Signature: Dyin' ain't much of a living, driver. Put it down...it can wait.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Doublecoin
RE: OODO-Cleaning Out The Soot
I'm the guy that asks what I'm sure everyone else knows but me. What is OODO?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: bossboy2
I think I would have replaced that Delta P sensor. That is one packed Venturi. Side note, these sensors don't like carb or break cleaner, best to replace. Especially the iMap sensor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ragindirt , bossboy2 , Doublecoin
OODO=owner operators day off

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DLC , Waterloo , Chamberpains , bossboy2
OODO, that sounds like a Yedi or Big Foot. One guy saw one once in passing and wasn't quite sure what it was and now it's only viewed on really grainy footage that was probably faked.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
(03-24-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  I think I would have replaced that Delta P sensor. That is one packed Venturi. Side note, these sensors don't like carb or break cleaner, best to replace. Especially the iMap sensor.

I think I agree with this, I had a shop instructor tell me that carburetor cleaner is only for the metal parts/bits of the carburetor. Thin plastic and rubber parts can be disfigured and/or melt if they are soaked with these strong corrosive solutions. I do like the OP's initiative to take good care of his truck thou.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , bossboy2
They do sell static and residue free aerosol cleaners for cleaning things like electrical contacts, MAF sensors and the like that would be a better choice than brake or carb cleaner...

...gotta read that can though!

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead , Ragindirt , Waterloo , bossboy2 , Doublecoin
03-25-2018, (Subject: OODO-Cleaning Out The Soot ) 
Hell OODO, wish I knew what a day off was. May have the weekend off, but after truck maintenance comes the yard, wife's vehicle,... day off comes tomorrow morning when I start out for death valley, nv. Day and 3/4 drive time just driving listening to Sirius is a day off I guess.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Chamberpains , bossboy2 , Doublecoin
03-25-2018, (Subject: OODO-Cleaning Out The Soot ) 
(03-25-2018 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Hell OODO, wish I knew what a day off was. May have the weekend off, but after truck maintenance comes the yard, wife's vehicle,... day off comes tomorrow morning when I start out for death valley, nv. Day and 3/4 drive time just driving listening to Sirius is a day off I guess.

Yep, my day off starts when I go back to work too. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: scottydogtruck , Chamberpains

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.