Coolant hose is not a "coolant" hose...
03-24-2018, (Subject: Coolant hose is not a "coolant" hose... ) 
Coolant hose is not a "coolant" hose...
Truck is back together, air compressor is installed. Yesterday I hook up the AirLift to fill the cooling system, but discover I am losing vacuum at the block where the hose from the bottom of the coolant jug goes into the block. It is the hose, the end is cracked under the clamp. So, I removed, the hose, it has around 1 million miles on her.

Call dealer, say what is the deal with this funky looking hose, as it has a weave on the outside, like a high pressure hose. This guy, not my normal guy, tells me it is just standard heater hose. So, I replace with a good piece of Gates hose, go to fill and the thing collapses and kinks, uh oh. Would not allow me to properly fill.

So I call dealer back, get my parts guy, he says it is a high pressure power steering hose and that he does not have any. It is a 1" id hose, very stiff but flexible and does not collapse. Of course this was right around 5pm on a Friday... Parker store was closed already, boss is screaming for me to get back to work as he has no drivers, as we are all broke down...

Anyone know about this power steering/coolant hose on the ProStar? Parker my best shot for Monday morning? Have called the few big truck places, they do not stock, all say Parker.
replyreply
RE: Coolant hose is not a "coolant" hose...
Take a piece of the original to Napa and have them match it?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-24-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Take a piece of the original to Napa and have them match it?.

I'm going to run up there in a bit. I called them right at closing last night, the only 1" id stuff he had was heavy hydraulic hose, more for a straight run, not a sweeping 45 type hose. But, I will still head up there just to see. I cannot believe this is not a readily available part from the stealership, they will have to order a roll of this stuff and will not have any until Tuesday or Wednesday. I need around two and half feet... Who comes up with this stuff?
replyreply
Summit racing has a lot of different size silicone coolant hose with pre-made bends in them. I have had to go there a few times to get what the OEM cannot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I made friends with the guys at the nearest hydraulic and marine plumbing joint. Take them anything and you will get premium stuff to replace it, first time, every time. They carry stuff like Eaton, Flexfab, trident marine...nothing cheap.

They carry stainless marine hose clamps, t bolt clamps and the like to replace OEM stuff. Silicone, high pressure, high temp, milspec and all sorts of premium goods just because of the nature of what they do...their work CANNOT FAIL. No OEM spring clamps to be found around here.

Carry practically any fitting you can find on a truck.

Will rebuild your coolant hoses for your turbo or air compressor as good or better than oem for much less and no wait,

They can also make any fuel, oil, hydraulic, air or other hose, with dot rated components if needed, with the correct crimpers for a leak free seal that will likely outlast your next engine.

They typically stock ferrules, dot fittings and nylon hose, hell, almost anything (except stainless JIC, which is obnoxiously expensive and rarely used)

Cheap? Not really. But MUCH cheaper than OEM and far cheaper than doing it twice because someone used automotive grade hose clamps on silicone hose (that's a no-no) or something of the sort.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , barf , Signature620 , Toolguy
03-25-2018, (Subject: Coolant hose is not a "coolant" hose... ) 
(03-24-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  I made friends with the guys at the nearest hydraulic and marine plumbing joint. Take them anything and you will get premium stuff to replace it, first time, every time. They carry stuff like Eaton, Flexfab, trident marine...nothing cheap.

They carry stainless marine hose clamps, t bolt clamps and the like to replace OEM stuff. Silicone, high pressure, high temp, milspec and all sorts of premium goods just because of the nature of what they do...their work CANNOT FAIL. No OEM spring clamps to be found around here.

Carry practically any fitting you can find on a truck.

Will rebuild your coolant hoses for your turbo or air compressor as good or better than oem for much less and no wait,

They can also make any fuel, oil, hydraulic, air or other hose, with dot rated components if needed, with the correct crimpers for a leak free seal that will likely outlast your next engine.

They typically stock ferrules, dot fittings and nylon hose, hell, almost anything (except stainless JIC, which is obnoxiously expensive and rarely used)

Cheap? Not really. But MUCH cheaper than OEM and far cheaper than doing it twice because someone used automotive grade hose clamps on silicone hose (that's a no-no) or something of the sort.

Sounds like my Parker Exotic Automation Store, exactly where I am heading in the morning. FleetPride had the correct hose, but only in 3/4". Parker will have it, just wish I would have found this on Thursday instead of 1700 on a Friday...

But, none the less, very happy so far at the work I have been able to accomplish. Yes, on three weeks down time, but I cleaned up and painted the entire driver side of the motor. The 20* temps did not help in the paint process, takes awhile for multiple coats of primer and paint to dry. I also removed all of the coolant hard lines and big intake from the air cleaner and painted all of those too. Replaced a few sensors, found things I know would have been skipped if taken to a shop and installed new heat shield wrap in a few key areas.

Now, I still have to replace the air dryer, that I am not looking forward to. But, it has stopped raining and snowing, and hopefully it will come off easily. And I can get my fat rear end under there. It is 21* out there right now... Jamie Davis Towing parka and bibs are going on for this one. ;-)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze , BobsYourUncle , Chamberpains , Toolguy
You forgot a bolt/clamp... Im sure you got it after the last picture though.
Nice looking job.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-25-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You forgot a bolt/clamp... Im sure you got it after the last picture though.
Nice looking job.

Thank you sir! And the clamp, the one at the top hard coolant line, it was still in "paint", LOL! I just put her on, did some work on the other side too... Damn cold out there today. Just went over 30*, Spring is no longer Spring. Must be the global warming. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(03-25-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...
Must be the global warming. ;-)

Yes, it is global warming. All the super cold air that normally stays at the top of the planet for building ice is no longer staying up there, but flowing further south in the winter and spring months. The colder it gets seasonally in the south, the less super-cold air there is to make the north pole stay frozen. There is also the 6 - 7+% higher humidity globally causing more rain in all wet areas and more extremes in dry areas.

That is only my own opinion, I am only spouting my own screwed up theories with no merit.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Hammerhead , dhirocz , Roysbigtoys , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.