870 new head gasket no other work done
03-25-2018, (Subject: 870 new head gasket no other work done ) 
870 new head gasket no other work done
I'm just curious how long would a new head gasket last in an 870 If you didn't do an inframe and set the liner heights? If you just unbolt the head put a new gasket in and torqued it down. I'm not looking to do this, it came up in a conversation with my buddies.
replyreply
03-25-2018, (Subject: 870 new head gasket no other work done ) 
RE: 870 new head gasket no other work done
...that would really depend on what caused it to fail...without knowing the specifics, I would say not very long.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
03-26-2018, (Subject: 870 new head gasket no other work done ) 
RE: 870 new head gasket no other work done
(03-25-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  I'm just curious how long would a new head gasket last in an 870 If you didn't do an inframe and set the liner heights? If you just unbolt the head put a new gasket in and torqued it down. I'm not looking to do this, it came up in a conversation with my buddies.

The only time I have seen it is when the head was under-torqued by some moron & it failed a few days after.

Otherwise, I have never seen a head gasket failure on a cummins without a liner issue. It is mostly nothing but a pipe dream to think only a head gasket fails on a cummins. Someone is simply wasting their time and money replacing only a head gasket unless someone had recently worked on it and made a mistake with the gasket itself or had under-torqued the head.

I.E.> Your asking for nothing but more problems and another failure if that is all you change except under very rare circumstances. Checking liner height after a head gasket failure will also easily fool many shops into thinking it was only the gasket. They are always wrong even after being warned, and in a few months later, all the money and time replacing it is wasted because it has to be re-done.

Here is an example where liner height was good but it still had a dropped liner ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...48#pid7648

===

DON'T JUMP OVER A DOLLAR TO GRAB A DIME!!! -- FIX S$IT RIGHT !!!

TELL YOUR BUDDIES TO STOP LIVING IN A PIPE DREAM WORLD AND THAT YOU AREN'T GOING TO PERPETUATE BAD ADVICE & HALF-ARSSED REPAIRS!!!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.