CM 870 hard start issue
03-26-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
CM 870 hard start issue
Hey guys! I'm new here.

also Rawze thanks for the invite bud! :D

so recently i got a 05 volvo vnl 670 with a cummins cm 870 in it and its had several minor issues that i could deal with since i dont mind getting dirty to get a job done right. so the truck has had a hard start issue since i got the truck. I wasn't sure when the last time its had the fluids changed so i changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel water separator filter also changed the coolant " I fucked up and didn't put a bucket to save the old coolant....". so when i was changing the fluids, i noticed in the fuel water bowl, bubbles were coming up... not good, so when i took it off, i noticed that it wasn't put on right. when i put it back on with the new filter. i figured the engine took in some air when they changed the fuel water filter.... i drained the fuel like 3 or 4 times and cycled it in the process. still not a fix for the hard start :/.... also i put in 4 new batteries and cleaned the brass bars for the battery's and the positive and negative cables.
after i did that the truck would turn over and start right away. the next morning id get up to see if the truck would fire up and it wouldnt.... so 3 days ago i cleaned the ground that connects the battery's and bunch of other cables with it. when i tried starting the truck up, she fired right up!!! im thinking okay thank god it was just the ground that needed to be cleaned.... so i got up the next morning to start her up and she wont..... white smoke keeps coming out the exhaust when i try to start the truck.... fuel pump works fine... ohhh another thing if i hook the truck up with my dads and let it run a bit, she starts up.... not sure why or how. so today im giving up and taking her to the shop to get a diagnoses on the issue if nobody here can help me narrow down what the issue is.

Thanks everyone ahead of time!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
RE: CM 870 hard start issue
does the electric lift pump sound like it is getting air into it when you turn on the keyswitch?

what is the fuel pressure reading reported in Insite software while its cranking and will not start?

Have you done an injector leak test and other related tests?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
(03-26-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  does the electric lift pump sound like it is getting air into it when you turn on the keyswitch?

what is the fuel pressure reading reported in Insite software while its cranking and will not start?

Have you done an injector leak test and other related tests?

Hey rawze!

i dont think the lift pump is getting any air into and it doesnt sound like it to me but if by any chance it is. what should i look for?

I dont have anything to actually test the fuel pressure, if i did i would have done that also. to note i dont have the insite software. how much would that cost me to get? and i havent done a injector leak test... dont have the tools to that also :/... its been raining like crazy here in st.louis so its not much i can do while being out in the open.
replyreply
Im curious what you mean by hard start? Slow or sluggish cranking? Long cranking time before actual engine start?
Here's a link for your fuel system. Just so you know how things flow and why. The pressure regulators can be pulled out and cleaned if not replaced rather easily. Just so you can see if you have junk in the IFSM and maybe one clogged.

https://youtu.be/HvvFElrc5ak

Also I'd be curious what your voltages are to the 12v ecm wire. Sounds like when you play with the wiring or have extra power you state your truck fires off normal. Without Insite or another diagnostic tool your gonna have to check voltages with a multi-meter.
Also does your Davco or water seperator stay full of fuel after the engine is shut down? There is a ball spring valve (anti bleed back valve) inside the inlet side fuel line fitting on the Davco. I just found mine 2 days ago and had it stick when I reinstalled it after cleaning it.
replyreply
03-27-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
(03-26-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Im curious what you mean by hard start? Slow or sluggish cranking? Long cranking time before actual engine start?
Here's a link for your fuel system. Just so you know how things flow and why. The pressure regulators can be pulled out and cleaned if not replaced rather easily. Just so you can see if you have junk in the IFSM and maybe one clogged.

https://youtu.be/HvvFElrc5ak

Also I'd be curious what your voltages are to the 12v ecm wire. Sounds like when you play with the wiring or have extra power you state your truck fires off normal. Without Insite or another diagnostic tool your gonna have to check voltages with a multi-meter.
Also does your Davco or water seperator stay full of fuel after the engine is shut down? There is a ball spring valve (anti bleed back valve) inside the inlet side fuel line fitting on the Davco. I just found mine 2 days ago and had it stick when I reinstalled it after cleaning it.

Thanks for the reply chambers!

I went to the shop to get a copy of the fault codes. I hope this answers some of your questions since I'm just shooting at the dark here in the forum currently.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  2018-3-27_22314.pdf (Size: 590.61 KB / Downloads: 44)
replyreply
so after i got home i searched up the codes my self to get a better idea of whats going on, i'm still confused. since i don't have to the tools to any of the stuff my self, i cant really afford at the moment the money and time so i'm just going leave the truck in the shop till Thursday for them to finish the diagnostics on the truck to get a better idea on whats going on.

have a blessed day folks!
replyreply
So when you increase volts (hook to your dads), or when you decrease resistance (clean connections ) , then it starts right away. Is it posible that there is a bad cable, or more bad connections ? Just thinking. I’m definitely not an expert.

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
Alrighty, if you can let us know what they find. Finding out the resolution to problems helps other people down he road when they read this.

I'm gonna guess that 434 code (power to ecm lost with key on) is not helping your situation. And while they're at it that 2384 code (VGT contoller voltage low) is not 1 to be ignored. They are tempermental at best. You want to make sure the power going to it is good. Check the wires and the connector. They are not very long maybe 3-4 feet of wire to the ecm from the control module.
replyreply
24 occurrences of code 0941 is not normal at all. Fuel/metering actuator problems or crank/cam sensor problems could be triggering that code.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.