CM 870 hard start issue
03-27-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
RE: CM 870 hard start issue
(03-27-2018 )rrod Wrote:  So when you increase volts (hook to your dads), or when you decrease resistance (clean connections ) , then it starts right away. Is it posible that there is a bad cable, or more bad connections ? Just thinking. I’m definitely not an expert.

so one day i cleaned up the connections and ground, truck fired right up with the usual stumble.
I would leave the truck to run for 30 to 40 minutes and come back after 3 or 4 hours and truck turns on as usual. if i come back the next day to turn it on, it wouldn't start.

that following day it wouldnt turn on, i would have to hook up my dads truck to mine to be able to start it. same issue as before, run it for 30-40 minutes and turn it off for 3 or 4 hours. then it starts right up but if i leave it off over night. it wont start up by it self....

i know the battery cables arent in the best shape but i wasn't sure if that was the main issue that was making the truck run the way it is.

i am hoping that it might just be a bad connection or bad wire, a relatively easy n inexpensive fix.
replyreply
(03-27-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Alrighty, if you can let us know what they find. Finding out the resolution to problems helps other people down he road when they read this.

I'm gonna guess that 434 code (power to ecm lost with key on) is not helping your situation. And while they're at it that 2384 code (VGT contoller voltage low) is not 1 to be ignored. They are tempermental at best. You want to make sure the power going to it is good. Check the wires and the connector. They are not very long maybe 3-4 feet of wire to the ecm from the control module.

absolutely, will do chambers. ill keep updating the progress of it till its fixed.

I'm going to have to wait till Thursday when the shop gets the truck in to test all the fault codes.
replyreply
(03-27-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  24 occurrences of code 0941 is not normal at all. Fuel/metering actuator problems or crank/cam sensor problems could be triggering that code.

you would think the truck is a dump but the motor runs fine " not perfect 100%" but it does perform with out and major issues other then the starting issue. i will inform you and everyone else on what the shop thinks the problem is.

Thanks rawze!
replyreply
If those cables of yours are sketchy, pull them and replace. I crawled under my ProStar and found the jacket on more than a few cables was cut way short, 10" in one case. ALL of my power cables were GREEN. I was honestly surprised I did not have a fire it was that bad.

You know, I was having all sorts of electrical issues, and once I replaced roughly 100' of cable with copper welding cable, all of those issues went away. There is also an in line fuse in your ECM power line, has that been replaced? Also check that wire and make sure it is not chaffed or kinked somewhere on its way to the battery box.

That is what I would do, replace the funky cable along with the grounds.
replyreply
03-28-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
If you want inexpensive, go get your truck back and aquire some relatively inexpensive tools that you will use many times in the future if you continue to own things with engines and electrical systems and start trouble shooting it yourself. I can take a safe bet that the shop you took your truck to is gonna charge you at least 3 hrs labor @ $80+/hr and jack up the price of run of the mill parts by 25-50% (all very low #'s) Thats $240 in labor on the low end.

A multi-meter $15, a battery load tester $40 , a couple wrenches and sockets $20 (if you go really cheap to get the job done), good hand soap $5 and some good free advise from here and I'll bet you can find that problem yourself. As far as fixing it that may take a chunk of change but most of us on here will guide you to the most inexpensive best option and still come in way cheaper than your best friend doing you a favor price is. And you get to keep the tools after the job.
Good luck asking the mechanic you paid if you can keep the tools. Even though you technically paid for them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I have one of these mounted in the dash ...

https://amzn.to/2H0fDnT

You can always tell when the batteries are getting weak and voltage is getting low long before you are stranded and need a jump-start.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Waterloo , scottydogtruck
(03-28-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  I have one of these mounted in the dash ...

https://amzn.to/2H0fDnT

You can always tell when the batteries are getting weak and voltage is getting low long before you are stranded and need a jump-start.

Good idea. Could you talk a bit about what would be normal voltage vs voltage that indicates the batteries are getting weak...

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
(03-28-2018 )rrod Wrote:  Good idea. Could you talk a bit about what would be normal voltage vs voltage that indicates the batteries are getting weak...

by how long it takes the voltage to fall off below 12.0 when it is sitting. Mine usually takes a few days to go below about 12.2 but when my batteries were getting weak, it would go to 11.5 over night and be hard to start the next day.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , rrod , Chamberpains
03-31-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
hey guys i'm back, they finally got the diagnosis done.....

while i was on the phone the guy quoted me 1.8k to fix it, i said okay so whats the problem? he said it was a " fuel dampener "...

i called parts to see how much the part is going to cost and the guy has no idea what a " fuel dampner " is.

im going to go up to the shop to pick it up the truck.

let me know what guys think this fuel dampner is lol...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.