CM 870 hard start issue
03-31-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
RE: CM 870 hard start issue
So I got the truck back and I got the notes the tech left.

I got a pdf file attached to it.

Fuel dampener is behind the fuel filter, it's in a really ugly spot.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  2018-3-31_21312.pdf (Size: 478.64 KB / Downloads: 38)
replyreply
(03-31-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  hey guys i'm back, they finally got the diagnosis done.....

while i was on the phone the guy quoted me 1.8k to fix it, i said okay so whats the problem? he said it was a " fuel dampener "...

i called parts to see how much the part is going to cost and the guy has no idea what a " fuel dampner " is.

im going to go up to the shop to pick it up the truck.

let me know what guys think this fuel dampner is lol...

Maybe he is referring to the dampers on the back side of the IFSM. I think there are 2 of them. The diaphram for them is item # 14 in this drawing...
./uploads/201803/post_2_1522524537_3549d43d05232107d4e22434cc3165e2.png

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(03-31-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  So I got the truck back and I got the notes the tech left.

From his diagnosis, it is can also be the gear pump. 37 psi is too low while cranking. Mine is well above 60 psi. He noted the damper was leaking too, so it could be either, but a leaky component is not good at all. You did not see the fuel leaking all over the place and things getting wet?????

Also you are using baldwin filters. NEVER EVER USE BALDWIN FILTERS IF YOU VALUE YOUR ENIGNE - ESPECIALLY THEIR OIL FILTERS!!!
reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid22173
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid22163

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(03-31-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  hey guys i'm back, they finally got the diagnosis done.....

while i was on the phone the guy quoted me 1.8k to fix it, i said okay so whats the problem? he said it was a " fuel dampener "...

i called parts to see how much the part is going to cost and the guy has no idea what a " fuel dampner " is.

im going to go up to the shop to pick it up the truck.

let me know what guys think this fuel dampner is lol...

Maybe he is referring to the dampers on the back side of the IFSM. I think there are 2 of them. The diaphram for them is item # 14 in this drawing...

yeah he gave me a paper of the same diagram but the shop wants to take apart the whole fuel pump to get to it. the guy said you can try to get to it the " hard way " by going to it directly vs taking the whole pump off and everything else. im thinking of going the hard way, ive yet to see it my self since its raining again for crying out loud...
replyreply
(03-31-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  So I got the truck back and I got the notes the tech left.

From his diagnosis, it is can also be the gear pump. 37 psi is too low while cranking. Mine is well above 60 psi. He noted the damper was leaking too, so it could be either, but a leaky component is not good at all. You did not see the fuel leaking all over the place and things getting wet?????

Also you are using baldwin filters. NEVER EVER USE BALDWIN FILTERS IF YOU VALUE YOUR ENIGNE - ESPECIALLY THEIR OIL FILTERS!!!
reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid22173
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid22163

i couldnt tell if the filter was leaking or what, i wasnt aware of this damper till the guy informed me about it. how can i check psi my self with out going to the shop?, would it be a good idea to check the gear pump as well? if so how do i go about checking it?

jesus christ man.... when this rain passes, im going to change the oil filter and get a fleet guard ASAP.
replyreply
I've just finished rebuilding my ifsm. Here's a pic of the back of it while it was off the truck. The two pulsation dampers are there. The bottom bolt on each of them just holds the pieces together. The top two bolts on each screw into the ifsm. You'd be doing the removal and installation blind, but a simple crescent wrench should remove the top two bolts. I believe the torque on them is only 84 inch pounds. Once you remove them, take off the bottom bolt and disassemble them. You need to replace the nylon ring, the two internal orings and the mating oring. It's easy and less than a hundred bucks. Get your engine registered on quickserve and you'll find the parts sheet rawze posted and also the repair manual with step by step directions and torque needed. Well worth your time, and you don't have to go out in the rain to get registered. ;-)
6,10,11,12, and 14 are the parts from Rawze ' post that you should get.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , rrod , Chamberpains
(03-31-2018 )pearce trucking Wrote:  I've just finished rebuilding my ifsm. Here's a pic of the back of it while it was off the truck. The two pulsation dampers are there. The bottom bolt on each of them just holds the pieces together. The top two bolts on each screw into the ifsm. You'd be doing the removal and installation blind, but a simple crescent wrench should remove the top two bolts. I believe the torque on them is only 84 inch pounds. Once you remove them, take off the bottom bolt and disassemble them. You need to replace the nylon ring, the two internal orings and the mating oring. It's easy and less than a hundred bucks. Get your engine registered on quickserve and you'll find the parts sheet rawze posted and also the repair manual with step by step directions and torque needed. Well worth your time, and you don't have to go out in the rain to get registered. ;-)
6,10,11,12, and 14 are the parts from Rawze ' post that you should get.

Hey man i appreciate the post brother! i see you have two dampners on yours. i only see one on the diagrams that i got. also im registered on quick serve :D. its the first thing i did when i got home with the truck, to check my self. i spoke to the mechanic and asked him honestly " ho sure are you " he said that he checked the entire system and its the only thing that he could find that he was for sure about anything else he said would be trowing parts at it blindly, he looks like a honest decent dude.

but anyways, is it possible to get to the dampners with out taking the entire pump apart?
replyreply
I just did my dampers. Skipping popping and farting after it sat overnite. Remove IFSM to do. Job only took a few hrs. And a few cups of coffee. Parts were only about 120.00 finally found the fuel leak I could smell but not see.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Waterloo , Rawze , Chamberpains
04-04-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
Hey guys I finally got all the gaskets n o'rings in today. I'm disconnecting all the sensors n lines right now. How do I disconnect these two lines? I fucked up on one of them.... help?...

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.