CM 870 hard start issue
04-04-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
RE: CM 870 hard start issue
(04-04-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Hey guys I finally got all the gaskets n o'rings in today. I'm disconnecting all the sensors n lines right now. How do I disconnect these two lines? I fucked up on one of them.... help?...

The lower one is supply and upper is return. That style of hose connector is unfamiliar to me. I assume you already tried a crescent wrench on the hex fittings?

Fyi if you're pulling the pump off, you'll want to replace the flange gasket between it and the head. its a large metal one you'll find when you remove it. #1 on Rawze's pic

Also 58 and 59.

58 is on the back on lower left in pic.

59 is plug inside above the compucheck fitting next to temp and pressure sensors. hand tight when reinstalling as its soft brass. second picture

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
04-04-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
Those black tabs get pushed inward. Not pryed outward, you have already learned they will snap, guaranteed. Push in on both sides and pull the line off. They are shitty Voss fittings. I just replaced all my fuel lines on my 06 international. $20 or more for each fuel line end. You can only get them at the dealership. I did a pretty good internet search and only found a couple on ebay. If you get them also pick up a cheap heat gun. You will need it to put the end in the line. Do not use a torch it will get to hot and be a pain. I learned the hard way on the road trying to fix a melted fuel line. Heat the line with the heat gun and they slide right in.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-05-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
(04-04-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Hey guys I finally got all the gaskets n o'rings in today. I'm disconnecting all the sensors n lines right now. How do I disconnect these two lines? I fucked up on one of them.... help?...

The plastic fitting is a voss fitting. Here is a reference with some info on how they go together etc. in a pdf file ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid10472

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
04-05-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
I couldn't find this last night, but it will describe the purpose of the orifice plug (59) re: hard starting
https://youtu.be/_WeiDC6S8Lw
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-06-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
so both of the white tabs just snapped of on me when i tried to get them of. I got done with unplugging all the cables and sensors then the weather started to look really mean...

I found them at the dealershit " dealership " for 15$ bucks a piece. they were so old that they would have broken on anyone, they were really brittle.

I figured i couldn't finish the day i started so i decided to find a local mechanic who can do it for cheap and who is reliable. Found a guy and dropped of the truck at his shop, he should be done monday!.

I wanted to the job the my self to get familiarized the engine a little more but i haven't worked in over a month and i just finished orientation at this new company so i need to start making some money ASAP.

Also asked the mechanic to check the fuel gear pump and some of the other things that are suspicions to me on the truck.

Sorry to disappoint some of you folks but in my case time is money that i cant afford to lose anymore.

ill keep everyone posted good n bad!
replyreply
04-07-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
HAHAHA, I'll bet by the time the shop gets it in, fixes it on their time frame, charges you a price that profits only them, you could've done it yourself. You could've worked straight thru the weekend and probably had it done before Monday. Now you're gonna be just starting the ball rolling Monday instead of having it done or getting it to the unforeseen problems and be tackling those come business hours 1st thing Monday morning.

I used to have that mentality when it came to the time it took someone else to do the work compared to the time it would take me. But then after (NOT KIDDING) 10's of THOUSANDS of $$ paid to a couple different shops in under a years time, I spent 2.5 weeks outside in the snow undoing and fixing it all the right way. I want my $100+/per hr. I paid so called pro's, back!! I got lazy and made up excuses to not take the time and $$$ up front to do the work myself or got pinched far away from home and the tow bill looked to big or whatever lame excuse I could come up with to fool myself and it ALL came around and bit me very hard.

I hope no one else has to learn this the hard way too. But I have a feeling Industry standards are going to dictate A LOT more guys are going to go right down this same path.
Take the time upfront cause when some lazy, inexperienced, don't give a damn so called tech. that you paid and probably will never see again screws the pooch, you will be stuck with the decision to either pay another guy for more of the same or get your lazy a$$ and mind head long in to it and make damn sure it's done right with your bank account in mind (not someone else's profits)

Read up on Waterloo's story that is currently unfolding and you will see the real time crap you will deal with if you think it's not profitable or quicker and easier to pay someone else to do things for you. Both him and I had to do similar things for similar reasons at the same time. Unfortunately for him, his didn't stop, and kept right on rolling. We are not any different or better than you when it comes to struggles and the challenges you face. We just probably beat you to them and have overcame them so we're willing to give advice on how to avoid them or tackle them with less risk, expense and headache's. Best of luck with your Local Cheap Mechanic. There are a few very good 1's in that category, But very few.

Here's some of Waterloo's story if you care to read.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2836
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2914
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2949
And now...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2972

I couldn't even imagine the actual price he would've paid someone else to repair his truck the way he has. I would say it would've been in the price range of a newer used truck. Which in most peoples position equals out of business or a huge truck payment for at least 5 years!! I believe he is going at his particular problems the strongest best way possible. That's is by keeping it as close to 100% as he can in his own hands. Which should, by the end of it, equal the best/lowest price anyone will ever pay and the highest to his standards quality work done to his truck with only him and his life in mind. You can never pay enough for that kind of service!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , pearce trucking , Waterloo
04-09-2018, (Subject: CM 870 hard start issue ) 
(04-07-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  HAHAHA, I'll bet by the time the shop gets it in, fixes it

So im a 2nd gen trucker, it wont be the first or last time working on a truck for me in snow,rain, freezing temps and safari temps. My father who hates the dealershits just as much as rawze; told me to find a mechanic. I cant argue with the man who is financing me and the truck. He knows i would have worked on it my self day and night till i fixed it but i need to get to work asap! ;(. i dont have 1/10th what waterloo has saved up to fix the truck. The mechanic does work all my trucking buddies and they told me its a easy job for him to do " not a dealershit mechanic".

Ill be working local with the truck, not over the road. ill be close to home all day, every day.

I dont have the " take it to the shop mentality ", i rather be covered in oil n grease head to toe and know end of the day the shi#t was done properly.

I love you bud " no homo " for giving me a pep talk about doing my own work but im a DIY type of guy that is why i came to this forum. to learn and teach and spread it like HIV in the 80's.

Dude i just read all of waterloo issues with the truck..... i smoked a pack by the time i was done reading it all. Anyone else i know would have torched the thing n claimed the insurance money for it.

It's the first time i heard of a f$%k up that massive in the industry....

anyways man again i appreciate you and everyone here, its 3am and ive been doing nothing but reading about this engine and the things ill need to do future repairs on it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Chamberpains , Waterloo
Quote:Evotrucker

im a DIY type of guy that is why i came to this forum. to learn and teach and spread it like HIV in the 80's.

Great analogy!! Hahaha!!

I'm glad my posting of my chuckle stoked that fire. That was the purpose of it. Im not a sadistic person. I don't laugh because I enjoy misery. It's more of a schadenfreude (look it up) situation. Don't ever let that fire burn cold. It's the one that keeps us all moving and digging for better.
Im still curious what the end problem is. What failed on your truck? Keep us posted. Pics are always nice.
replyreply
So i called the mechanic this afternoon and he said that it is leaking a little but that leak shouldn't make the truck loose pressure the way it is. I called cummins to affirm to my current situation and they said pretty much the same thing

I drove to the shop to talk to the mechanic and see how things are going, he started half trough the job and said he wants to put everything back together to really diagnose the issue. I know dumb AF.... I gave him the diagnoses sheet and other paper work that i got from the first shop. Also to note i dont blame the guy, i basically told him that the fuel dampers need to be changed, he did what he was told but in the end hes helping me out a little

Basically this guy wants to check the other guys work to see if he is actually right, he could finish the job today but to me he seems worried ill be mad at him if job gets the done and it's still not resolved.

one good thing he said " if i diagnose it and find the real problem, they will have to give you your money back or some for the wrong diagnoses and parts i got ". I'm not sure how that will fly with them but i'm sure they don't want me to tell every trucker that i know in my city to avoid them at all costs.

I told the guy i just need the truck start up right and for me to be able to work for a month and then ill be able to start working on the truck little by little. This isn't the first time ive had to deal with fuel issue on a truck, it could possibly be a small issue or a big one. its hard to really narrow it down when the truck wasn't really taken care of and if it has been it wasn't done properly.

ill keep you guys posted with in 2 or 3 days. i dont want to keep going back and forth little by little. ill givw you guys the hole run down when it gets fixed.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pearce trucking

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.