Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket
03-28-2018, (Subject: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket ) 
RE: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket
Well, I bought this truck from Praxair, a big company, and I am sure that they would not make any unauthorized cowboy style modifications like "turning up the HP".

I am sure that this is a OEM bolt breaking due to poor design of this Mercedes engine. 345,000 miles.

If I was a great engine designer, I would make millions of dollars making better than anyone else's truck engines. Unfortunately, I am not, and I am stuck to doing what I am doing to make a living.

As such, I cannot evaluate ideas on what Mercedes could do better, other than perhaps test their products more.

As the guy instantly guessed what was wrong and his guess was correct, I assume that he is right about saying that those head bolts breaking are the weak point of this specific engine.

If any more heads suffer such damage, I will replace all remaining bolts on all heads.

PS you can see that this bolt broke a while ago and has a lot of soot all over the break area.
replyreply
03-31-2018, (Subject: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket ) 
I am just thinking. It may sound crazy.

Can I turn the horsepower DOWN? Can I program the engine somehow to produce only, say, 90% of the maximum output horsepower? Would that make it last longer? I mean, I could not care less if I reach 60 MPH in 25 seconds or in 30 seconds. All I care is to not pay those repair bills.

Also, 3 months ago we changed the speed governor setting from 67 MPH to 80 MPH. I wonder if that had anything to do with head bolt failing. (I doubt it but who knows). Maybe I should reduce the maximum driving speed to, say, 70 MPH?

Any idea?
replyreply
(03-31-2018 )ichudov Wrote:  I am just thinking. It may sound crazy.

Can I turn the horsepower DOWN? Can I program the engine somehow to produce only, say, 90% of the maximum output horsepower? Would that make it last longer? I mean, I could not care less if I reach 60 MPH in 25 seconds or in 30 seconds. All I care is to not pay those repair bills.

Also, 3 months ago we changed the speed governor setting from 67 MPH to 80 MPH. I wonder if that had anything to do with head bolt failing. (I doubt it but who knows). Maybe I should reduce the maximum driving speed to, say, 70 MPH?

Any idea?

Yes, you can turn the HP down, quite a few of us do to save on fuel. Who is driving the truck? If a company driver, and the speed limiter has essentially been turned off, I could see that damaging the head bolts if say a driver was pushing it to the limits at 80 mph say in the some good hills or mountains with a load. Essentially beating the hell out of the motor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov
(03-31-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Yes, you can turn the HP down, quite a few of us do to save on fuel. Who is driving the truck? If a company driver, and the speed limiter has essentially been turned off, I could see that damaging the head bolts if say a driver was pushing it to the limits at 80 mph say in the some good hills or mountains with a load. Essentially beating the hell out of the motor.

Thanks

It is my driver's truck. My truck is a 2000 Freightliner FLD with a Cat C12 engine and manual transmission.

We sometimes switch trucks as needed, of course, but mostly he is the one driving it. I am sure that he would listen if I asked him not to drive 80 MPH, but only for a good reason.

Most of our driving is city and suburb driving and we do not get to run very fast, but occasionally we go on 300 mile trips and that is where speed comes up as an issue.
replyreply
I remember unilevers talking about a build with cryogenic frozen head bolts that were supposed to be stronger and not stretch. Maybe this would be a option.... touch base with him and see how that worked.

This is unless I just made that all up in my head......

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
(03-31-2018 )Brock Wrote:  I remember unilevers talking about a build with cryogenic frozen head bolts that were supposed to be stronger and not stretch. Maybe this would be a option.... touch base with him and see how that worked.

its legit! i dont use std bolts on anything anymore doesn't matter what it is. Its a cheap insurance on good bolts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , hhow55 , Brock
(03-31-2018 )Brock Wrote:  I remember unilevers talking about a build with cryogenic frozen head bolts that were supposed to be stronger and not stretch. Maybe this would be a option.... touch base with him and see how that worked.

(03-31-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  its legit! i dont use std bolts on anything anymore doesn't matter what it is. Its a cheap insurance on good bolts.

Frozen head bolts!
Ha, only a goofy bearded Canadian would think of a hair brained scheme like that!
Lmao

Oh yeah, and I'm being a smart ass...cryo treated bolts actually are stronger!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
04-01-2018, (Subject: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket ) 
only slightly stronger, its more of a fatigue resistance thing. They will not stretch one little bit ever again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ichudov , Brock
04-01-2018, (Subject: Update on Columbia/Mercedes 4000 blown head gasket ) 
I think this may be something I need in my pete cause lord knows I can't keep the head together lol.

Contemplating rebuilding that cat..... again or throwing that thing in the trash and building a Cummins or 60 series.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.