W900L blower problem
03-28-2018, (Subject: W900L blower problem ) 
W900L blower problem
I've got a 2013 w900 that has an intermittent blower motor problem. When I start the truck in the morning it'll be blowing air wherever I have it set. Then as I'm driving down the road... suddenly I'll have no air flow coming from the vent.
Sometimes it'll have a small amount of heat coming out (regardless of the fan speed setting). Sometimes there will be nothing coming out at all. Then as I'm driving...it'll just start working again.
Not sure if it's a faulty motor or maybe I should be looking for a wiring/resistor issue?
Thanks
replyreply
RE: W900L blower problem
probably a weak fan relay

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Skman
I just replaced my blower motor for the same issue. Dust and dirt get in the back of the motor in the drive coil. They heat up and weaken over time. The best way to stop this from happening is never turn the truck on. The best way to slow this down is seal the housing, filter the air that goes to it and change or clean the filter regularly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Skman , Waterloo
(03-28-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I just replaced my blower motor for the same issue. Dust and dirt get in the back of the motor in the drive coil. They heat up and weaken over time. The best way to stop this from happening is never turn the truck on. The best way to slow this down is seal the housing, filter the air that goes to it and change or clean the filter regularly.
This could be my problem then. Most of its life so far has been spent on gravel/dirt roads. A lot of dust flying around. I just bought the truck about 6 months ago. I'll have to make sure to stay on top of the filter changes to prevent it from happening to often
replyreply
You should have a fresh air filter somewhere in the system. Mine is under the hood at the fresh air intake up at the passenger side firewall, on the windshield wiper cowl. Replace that, needs to be done quite often, or more than most guys think. Then pull the blower motor, like Chamberpains said, it is probably toast. FleetPride probably carries it, will be much cheaper than the dealer. When you get the blower out, clean up any crap in the box and inspect the blower motor wiring for chafing or other damage.

Also, under the hood on the passenger side, you will see one or two flat tubes, that is where your AC condensation drips out. Pinch those to open, get the dirt and other crap out of them. Should be right at eye level.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Skman
I had this issue on one of our 99 379 Petes, and what it ended up being was the first plugin coming from out of the motor. And I found no evidence of what was wrong with it except when you moved it slightly it turned on an off. Before getting it fixed I would actually hit the dash below the glove box and it would start. Not sure if if this could be your issue, just a thought.

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
03-30-2018, (Subject: W900L blower problem ) 
(03-28-2018 )iceman Wrote:  I had this issue on one of our 99 379 Petes, and what it ended up being was the first plugin coming from out of the motor. And I found no evidence of what was wrong with it except when you moved it slightly it turned on an off. Before getting it fixed I would actually hit the dash below the glove box and it would start. Not sure if if this could be your issue, just a thought.
Yeah I tried banging under the glove box but it didn't seem to help. I thought it might since driving down bumpy roads seems to make it turn off/on.
In my western star...I had to tap the motor once in awhile. Then it became a little more often until finally it didn't work at all anymore.
replyreply
03-30-2018, (Subject: W900L blower problem ) 
On my 08 Pete 389 I replaced my blower motor and resistor and that stupidly expensive heater control switch assembly ($1300CAD) mine recently now stops working on setting speed 2 and 3. Pissing me off!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.