CM570 Cams
03-31-2018, (Subject: CM570 Cams ) 
CM570 Cams
Thoughts on where to buy a set of cams for my 02’ CM570?
Inframe was done 60k ago after 1.3 million. I had some oil leaks and we tore it on down. Cams, bearings, showing excessive wear. Engine was still strong when we inframed it, I think I turned in better cores than what we paid for in return. From the start...engine idled rough, drank oil as well.
Upgraded to newer pistons, bought new style rods from Cummins, had counter bores cut, new holset turbo, new injectors from Cummins...PX style (which I’ve already sent off and one they claimed was putting air in the system and was pby never right). New pump...etc
Just wondering about shimming the pump. Trying to find the best cams available and putting a new head on from elite diesel, or having a reputable machine shop to redo my head. The company the kit came from tried to give us “another reman” head, but copper is showing in the used bearing that are still in it, and you can see where the old cam was drug out. Very disappointed in the rebuild, as the engine ran rough, used oil, less oil pressure, etc...old motor was just leaking oil, but ran like a sewing machine. It was all original, but well taken care of.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
RE: CM570 Cams
(03-31-2018 )Five Star Wrote:  Thoughts on where to buy a set of cams for my 02’ CM570?
Inframe was done 60k ago after 1.3 million. I had some oil leaks and we tore it on down. Cams, bearings, showing excessive wear. Engine was still strong when we inframed it, I think I turned in better cores than what we paid for in return. From the start...engine idled rough, drank oil as well.
Upgraded to newer pistons, bought new style rods from Cummins, had counter bores cut, new holset turbo, new injectors from Cummins...PX style (which I’ve already sent off and one they claimed was putting air in the system and was pby never right). New pump...etc
Just wondering about shimming the pump. Trying to find the best cams available and putting a new head on from elite diesel, or having a reputable machine shop to redo my head. The company the kit came from tried to give us “another reman” head, but copper is showing in the used bearing that are still in it, and you can see where the old cam was drug out. Very disappointed in the rebuild, as the engine ran rough, used oil, less oil pressure, etc...old motor was just leaking oil, but ran like a sewing machine. It was all original, but well taken care of.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I just completed my inframe 01 CM570
Cummins New Head $3470
Cummins Inframe Kit $3560
Total with lots other Cummins parts$15600.
Go Cummins original on head.Kenworth Pharr,Tx .. Javier Lopez Great salesman and decent prices.
Im currently getting 7.6 Mpg ,on break in oil.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , Five Star , serv
Reliable Industries has giving me great service and prices!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Five Star
I would recommend OEM parts.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Hammerhead , Five Star
(03-31-2018 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  I just completed my inframe 01 CM570
Cummins New Head $3470
Cummins Inframe Kit $3560
Total with lots other Cummins parts$15600.
Go Cummins original on head.Kenworth Pharr,Tx .. Javier Lopez Great salesman and decent prices.
Im currently getting 7.6 Mpg ,on break in oil.

Thank you for the info...what are you running for break in oil? Are you going to run gear lube after that? Did you buy new cams, and if so is there a wider cam lobe option for the 570s? I’m also putting new actuators on as well. Any info is greatly appreciated.
replyreply
04-01-2018, (Subject: CM570 Cams ) 
Im running Rotella 15w40 Regular, My Cams were great after 2 million miles.Yes on Gear lube I sample every time thru Ams oil Program and gear lube shows up with high Molybendum and Love it
Great on Actuators I replaced mine 200k ago,I dont know about Cam options.
Also your going to need special tool for Piston ring Installation, with new APR ring ontop of liners.
Without tool impossible to install piston ,without Breaking a ring like we did,Oil ring.
Cummins 5299448, with new Monothern pistons on Cummins O/H kit.
New Liners come with Brass shims, I had Cummins come out to check Counterbores just for Insurance All good.
I'll be running Rotella 15w40 with Gear oil permanently.
replyreply
(04-01-2018 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  Im running Rotella 15w40 Regular, My Cams were great after 2 million miles.Yes on Gear lube I sample every time thru Ams oil Program and gear lube shows up with high Molybendum and Love it
Also your going to need special tool for Piston ring Installation, with new APR ring ontop of liners.
Without tool impossible to install piston ,without Breaking a ring like we did,Oil ring.
New Liners come with Brass shims, I had Cummins come out to check Counterbores just for Insurance All good.

Are you running the gear lube while breaking in the engine? It's great for a run in engine but may cause those new liners to glaze. Just my theory on the matter, take it with a grain of salt.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(04-01-2018 )schISM Wrote:  
(04-01-2018 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  Im running Rotella 15w40 Regular, My Cams were great after 2 million miles.Yes on Gear lube I sample every time thru Ams oil Program and gear lube shows up with high Molybendum and Love it

Are you running the gear lube while breaking in the engine? It's great for a run in engine but may cause those new liners to glaze. Just my theory on the matter, take it with a grain of salt.
Nope just straight Rotella 15w40
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.