ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot
04-03-2018, (Subject: ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot ) 
RE: ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot
(04-03-2018 )DLC Wrote:  Alamow, are you using an Imperial Gallon or a US Gallon?

Those are crazy temperatures and crazy loads you guys pull down under.

Maybe see if you can get some reflective insulation to put between starter and the block?
12V fan to blow on starter possibly.

Good luck.

I used Google to convert to US gallons. As a triple Road Train the fuel burn rate is anywhere between 84 to 92 liters per 100km. A double is 72-78 liters/100km. Weights are 116 metric tonnes as a triple and 80 tonnes as a double. Quads are up to 160 tonnes depending on the configuration.

I thought of trying to shield the starter from the heat but decided it would be an impossible task considering the amount of heat radiating from engine, gearbox and chassis rails.

I'm out again tomorrow night so will try a few of the suggestions.

Thanks for your advice.
replyreply
(04-03-2018 )Signature620 Wrote:  If you're interested and have the tooling. Turn the engine with a 3/4" drive ratchet while it's in this 'hard to start' state. Then you should be able to tell if you have a mechanical issue or an electrical one. Also note any white smoke at cold starts.

I should have done this when the problem started. Will give it a go. Thanks.

No white smoke on start both hot and cold.
replyreply
I'm surprised that they don't put larger engine in those trucks. I only gross at 41,500 kgs Winter weight tandem trailer and 46,500 Kgs on my tridem. I can't imagine pulling twice that especially in the heat. Your radiators and cooling systems must be huge. Dealing with that kind of heat would be a big problem. -40 C might be easier than + 40C.

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
04-04-2018, (Subject: ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot ) 
You would think if the head gasket is loading the top of the piston, there would be raised levels of coolant
in the oil sample reports.

Increase the idle time before you shut the engine off. If it is that hot, think of what the oil is doing in the turbo, turning to "coke" and killing the life of the turbo.

You could prop the hood 3-4 inches open when you stop to allow better air flow.
replyreply
04-06-2018, (Subject: ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot ) 
(04-03-2018 )DLC Wrote:  I'm surprised that they don't put larger engine in those trucks. I only gross at 41,500 kgs Winter weight tandem trailer and 46,500 Kgs on my tridem. I can't imagine pulling twice that especially in the heat. Your radiators and cooling systems must be huge. Dealing with that kind of heat would be a big problem. -40 C might be easier than + 40C.

550 - 600hp is plenty of power for the job. We call them real American hp as the Volvo's have 700hp and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. The Australian manufactured KW, MACKS, CATS and Western Stars have the Cab raised a few inches to allow more airflow. Biggest annoyance is the cab floors become hot and cook your feet and anything else sitting on the floor.

41,500kg on a tandem is a lot of weight, plus the fact your trailers are so long must make them a handful in tight places and terribly unstable through the corners. I would be looking in the mirrors all the time waiting for the trailer to come and tap me on the shoulder. Is hauling the long trailers challenging or just look worse on Youtube than it actually is?

I've been running short haul this week so not generating the heat to cause any starting problem. Should be back into it next week and can continue fault finding using the advice from this forum. No coolant added. EGR cooler checked out okay when pressure tested. Followed Rawze's video but could only wait one hour. Will test again during the next service to be 100% sure.
replyreply
04-06-2018, (Subject: ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot ) 
(04-04-2018 )redtick Wrote:  You would think if the head gasket is loading the top of the piston, there would be raised levels of coolant
in the oil sample reports.

Increase the idle time before you shut the engine off. If it is that hot, think of what the oil is doing in the turbo, turning to "coke" and killing the life of the turbo.

You could prop the hood 3-4 inches open when you stop to allow better air flow.

The mechanic thinks if the engine was hydro-locking then I would have bent a rod by now, I'm not convinced he is correct. The only real way to know for sure is to do as suggested by Signature620 and bar it over. I am waiting until I head up North again. The truck has started fine all week.

I'm not sure I can prop the hood without undoing and dropping the Bull bar. I'll check.
replyreply
04-12-2018, (Subject: ISX EGR 550 hard to Start when Hot ) 
Fortunately or unfortunately I had no starting problems while running triples up north. The outside temperature was mild +34c.

The mechanics fixed the CANBUS system so that I now have all gauges working. Not sure if that had a bearing on the starting fault.
replyreply
What was the symptom and repair with the canbus?
replyreply
Most of the dashboard gauges were not working. Head light and spot light fuses were blowing. Battery voltage is dropping to 6v during engine crank when checked from inside the cab.

The main wiring loom had a short through the firewall.

I'm not convinced the starting fault is fixed and will continue to carry the 3/4 drive bar. Just need to work the truck harder to build up some heat.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Signature620 , DLC

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.