Turbo
04-04-2018, (Subject: Turbo ) 
RE: Turbo
(04-04-2018 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  Unilevers, what was the reasoning behind it? Just curious.

literally just because his was wore out and he had this almost new cm2350 turbo sitting on the bench. it ran good but it wasnt big HP, im fairly certain if we tried to push it that turbo would heat the engine up fairly quick.

i dont recommend it unless yours is also bad and just happen to have a cm2350/2250 turbo just laying around.

uni
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rounded_nut
04-04-2018, (Subject: Turbo ) 
Would cost efficiency too wouldnt it?
replyreply
04-05-2018, (Subject: Turbo ) 
(04-04-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Would cost efficiency too wouldnt it?

on a smaller hp engine (less than 500hp), It is debatable that it would be a fuel effeciency improvement on one if dialed in right. - Small turbo almost always means slightly more fuel efficient but less power handling capacity. I have been temped to switch from my 500 series (the bigger 871 turbo) to a 400 series (the smaller 2250/2350 turbo) on my own truck just to see if there can be gains but no one has ever wanted to swap turbo's and manifolds with me. I just can't justify all the costs just for a few tenths gain in fuel mileage (or perhaps none at all) otherwise.

My turbo also has more than 550k miles on it now too, so it would be a risk to whoever got it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
06-17-2018, (Subject: Turbo ) 
Hello guys. Just wondering if anyone has put a 500 series turbo on a cm2350 with the 400 series turbo.
replyreply
(06-17-2018 )Roberts388 Wrote:  Hello guys. Just windering if anyone has put a 500 series turbo on a cm2350 with the 400 series turbo.

Quite a few guys have. More lag in low end response but higher hp capacity handling.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(06-17-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-17-2018 )Roberts388 Wrote:  Hello guys. Just wondering if anyone has put a 500 series turbo on a cm2350 with the 400 series turbo.

Quite a few guys have. More lag in low end response but higher hp capacity handling.

Cool deal. Any links to info for installing one?? Im running into airflow issues on my x15 and its running pretty hot temps coming out of the compressor so needing an upgrade but needing to keep the VGT as well. Im new to playing with the big cummins but have played with the smaller ones quite a bit.
replyreply
It's odd, the other day when I was helping my friend do his big turbo 871 I hated how that truck fealt, just lagging in the bottom rpm band.... it was better once we tuned it good but still had nowhere near the response of my small turbo 871.

Not only does my small turbo have way better response, but I've turned that thing up to 650hp before hauling 140,000 blowing by big Cpl Cummins all day long on hills and my pyro has never once been 700+ on the manifold (I do keep my rpm up always 1500+)

Maybe I'd see the difference if I hauled my weight in a well tuned big Cpl engine while pulling hills but for my I just don't get it.... I get better mileage and pull hills like my trucks on roids and never heat up..... maybe there is something I'm not considering..... maybe my injectors are running too hot?

Never kept it at 650 for too long, ran 625 for a year before having a custom 605 hp tune out in.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(06-17-2018 )Roberts388 Wrote:  ...
Cool deal. Any links to info for installing one?? Im running into airflow issues on my x15 and its running pretty hot temps coming out of the compressor so needing an upgrade but needing to keep the VGT as well. Im new to playing with the big cummins but have played with the smaller ones quite a bit.

NO links for such things but Unilevers, Gearhead, Mommaburt, Mr.Hag, have the ability to dial one in correctly.

Question is that are you trying to do it on a CM2350 (2013 - 2017 engine)? or the new X15 (2018 engine)? - Your bio says 2018 X15, but your first post implies otherwise.

Lastly there is this to think about and consider (re-post) ...
Rawze Wrote:What is the origional HP rating on the engine?

Is it de-mandated?, and if so Who did it/how was it done?

What is the current (or expected) HP settings?

What kind of truck? What kind of operation? what is the average torque requirement? -- (I.E. most highway trucks on the USA average about 28-30% torque load on average).

What would you expect to gain/what would be your expected goals from altering the turbo with a different model?

Is fuel mileage more important to you after such a change? -- Or power?

These are good things to think about before considering making changes to the engine design.

Also, what are you considering "hot"? -- temps? some data? etc?.

replyreply
06-18-2018, (Subject: Turbo ) 
First sorry for the long post.

Truck is a 2018 pete 388, yes its a 565/2050 X15. I was thinking it still might have been cm2350 as thats what it says on the ECM. Running tankers n dry bulk in the northwest up to 105,500 gross.

Its been de-mandated. The guy tuning it apparently used to tune for Edge so he know cummins/duramax/powerstroke. He's tuned several ISX's but this is his newerst one. My good friend owns a high performance diesel shop and he does all the tuning for them. He used the factory 605/2050 tune and guess bumped it up around 10% in hp and tq. Truck runs awesome, oil is actually staying honey to maybe dark honey brown and Im only on my second oil change sense the exh changes. Running ruffly 300hrs or 10,000 miles on an oil change, but fighting with the turbo. Ive got a pyro in the manifold and dont see anything over 900* untill 1550rpm then it climbs to 11-1200 and thats it. Factory boost gauge runs 20-30psi most of the time but hard pulls its up to 40-42. Seen 50psi once on an onramp/over pass in Portland when my load hit the rear of the trailer and loaded the engine really hard.

http://www.myholsetturbo.com/manuals/hol...nspecs.pdf According to the holset website the HE400 is only good for 280kw or ruffly 375hp where as the HE500 is good for 420kw or 565hp. I drove a 2013 ISX set at 450 before this truck and never heard exh flowing thru the egt cooler but with this engine I could hear exh flowing through the cooler at anything over 1500 rpm and 20 psi. Sense that it shut off now all the exh is driving the turbo and causing high boost pressures. We are still working on opening the VGT more but Im thinking that this charger is just to small for this engine. The guys tunes have very very very little smoke. Like taking off in 4th gear at 45,000 pounds empty and I can floor it and get almost 0 smoke.

Ive been around performance diesels sense 2002 so mods are nothing new to me. Goals for the truck is 575-600 to the ground and use it all day long and keep the EGT's fairly reasonable and MPG in the 5.5ish avg. long heavy unaerodynamic truck n trailers with losts of unload idle time at 900-1400 rpm. As to what leads me to believe the charge air is running to hot is the compressor has turned from the bright cummins red to a very dark maroon color. Hoping with the HE500's bigger compressor and exh housings we can get the turbo maps to actually match the airflow of the engine. I see PukeDits has a set of compound turb's for these engines but Im trting to avoid going that route at the moment as with a short hood my 5 pound bag is all ready kind of full on that side of the engine.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.