Blacker than black oil
05-22-2017, (Subject: Blacker than black oil ) 
Blacker than black oil
I have this little 2005 Isuzu COA city truck 5.2 TD, always wanted to build a mini ramp service truck.. some like souping cars, some like fabricating work trucks:)
This had 100k on the clock when I purchased, every 5k for 2 years I use nothing but Mobil Delvac 15/40 at 150k the injectors were done, my mechanic hands were stained right through the gloves! Never seen oil so black and everything is thickly coated. Since the purchase, the oil was always a little black (It does have an EGR). Maybe the injectors were loading at idle and fouled the oil?
Now, after the injectors were done, the oil after 1 day changed is blacker than black. I want to clean the crankcase and hear filling with diesel is the trick... but I don't want to wash the bearings though.
What is the safest way to do this? Getting back to brown oil is an improvement!
replyreply
RE: Blacker than black oil
The least expensive thing to do is a lab analysis and find out why it is so black. I would not use diesel in it unless you are getting ready to tear it down to overhaul it. Instead, I would change the oil a few times in a row, like every month for about 3 or 4 oil changes and get all the old soot and carbon buildup out of the engine slowly and safely. You also should consider an oil that was designed to handle a lot of soot, like Rotella-T instead of the mobil, and if your going to keep the EGR, a bypass filter is your first defense towards keeping the engine alive.

Should investigate how much egr gas its using and how much soot its making. If it is that bad, your muffler and exhaust is likely suffering flow restrictions too. Check that the EGR valve is not opening too far and replace sensors that may be reading wrong.

There are reasons why engine run poorly and make too much soot. Most people ignore it until it has already taken its tool on everything but it is bad practice.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cwshumsky , PuroCumminsPower
Yes bypass filter is a must i would do it right away regardless of other problems or findings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cwshumsky , PuroCumminsPower
05-23-2017, (Subject: Blacker than black oil ) 
The funny thing is, I never heard of a bypass filter (actually had to Google it). All these years of throwing good oil away is shameful. .. this should be standard from the manufacturer.
Any recommendations for brand or type, looks like i'm in need of 2-3 of these things. Also would I still use the standard wix filters?
replyreply
05-24-2017, (Subject: Blacker than black oil ) 
(05-23-2017 )cwshumsky Wrote:  The funny thing is, I never heard of a bypass filter (actually had to Google it). All these years of throwing good oil away is shameful. .. this should be standard from the manufacturer.
Any recommendations for brand or type, looks like i'm in need of 2-3 of these things. Also would I still use the standard wix filters?

DON'T GET YOUR HEAD IN THE CLOUDS TOO QUICKLY THERE!!!!

BYPASS OIL FILTERS --- YES --- EXTENDING YOUR OIL CHANGES ---- ABSOLUTELY NO!!!!!!! - DON'T THINK FOR A MOMENT YOUR GOING TO SAVE MONEY ON OIL CHANGES BY ADDING A BYPASS FILTER!!! --- DON'T DO THE SYNTHETIC THING AND THE EXTENDED CHANGE THING,... PRE-MATURE ENGINE AND CAM FAILURE IN YOUR FUTURE IF YOU DO THAT CRAP!!! IT IS MARKET CRAP THAT IS NOTHING BUT HOW THE SYNTHETIC OIL COMPANIES GET YOU TO BUY THEIR MORE EXPENSIVE OILS!!!

ADD THE BYPASS OIL FILTER AND USE GOOD DECENT OIL AND CHANGE AT REGULAR INTERVALS BASED ON YOUR FUEL CONSUMPTION,.. NOT SOME BULLS#IT!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , redbeard
05-27-2017, (Subject: Blacker than black oil ) 
Definitely don't start doing extended oil changes. My dealer parts rep came by last week and was telling us about a local company that just got bought out by a corporate bigger company and that they had started switching to bypass filters and extending oil changes. Our first question was 'how many cams have you brought them?' He said you know come to think of it they have been buying quite a few cams the last few months.

Don't drink the koolaid. By pass filters are great- any time you can keep cleaner oil in the engine the better, but that oil is still on'y good for so long.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.