Oil pump shim
04-07-2016, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
RE: Oil pump shim
When we use to shim our oil pumps for the race cars back in the day small block Chevy
Back b in the day before all the aftermarket parts about .040 was all it took to go to about 80 lbs from about 50 those wear gear pumps 2 Lil gears like a hydrolic pump
If memory serves me right as I liked at the Cummings I think that type of pump is called a geolator, rawze would know the exact , but to me they are kinda a cheep looking pump
Case ih use to use Cummins in there combines an certain years wear known to have oil pump problems the idler gear that drives off crank or what ever would shear the teath off
Or the bearing would go out , similar design as the isx only u could change gear out through a cover on front of motor , any way it's to bad some do sant make a aftermarket
Pump with Lil more volume an that would up the pressure and be like
More durable , adding half inch of shim seams a Lil exsasave compared to upping system pressure in say a hydraulic system with the presser release valve , like rawze says I think the pump life will be shortaned, I would program a engine shut down if no oil press just to be safe . Just my 2 cents
replyreply
it honestly is that much, so far no failures on the 3 trucks i know running it. i was skeptical at first but im starting to lean to the "its ok" side now.

i think you were meaning gerotor?
replyreply
Yup gerotor, how much psi are u running now on those trucks
replyreply
I am going to include adding the shims to the oil pump in my engine re-build video series. I think it will clear up a lot when people see how weak that spring really is.

What got me to go ahead and do it to mine was what Dr.ISX said to me. He said he checked oil pressure at the overhead cams, and there is only about 9 psi there normally. That is not much pressure at all for protecting the cam bearings and lubricating the rockers.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I use .75 shim and the dimes go in the pump behind the spring. Some have used .5 but at least .5 to make a meaturable difference.
replyreply
Doing bottom end on mine soon, at 500,000, should I replace pump? Or just shim or both? Thanks
replyreply
04-08-2016, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
Just shim it.
replyreply
04-09-2016, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
Got it running today and can say that with 8 pennies in there at start up it has 50 psi and after its up to operating Temps going down the road it stays above 40psi. I'm sure the new head and cam bearings will like it much better now
replyreply
04-10-2016, (Subject: Oil pump shim ) 
Mine was done 19,000 miles ago. Over 60 psi at start. Stays between 40 & 50 depending on rpm & temp.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.